DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Active Track

omahajoe

Reactions
I have been trying to use the Active Track feature of the Mavic Air 2, but cannot seem to activate it. I have Googled the question many times and I always get the same basic answer. It goes something like this: Get the drone in the Air>Tap on the Remote Control icon on the far left>Select Active Track> Draw a box around the subject>Select mode.

That is all well and good but I never see the Remote Control icon, so I cannot get any further. I am new to drone flying and apparently there is some setting I need to adjust to make the Remote Control icon appear. I have downloaded and installed all the current updates. I would appreciate any help anyone can give on this.

Thanks in advance

Joe Shanahan

I have been trying to use the Active Track feature of the Mavic Air 2, but cannot seem to activate it. I have Googled the question many times and I always get the same basic answer. It goes something like this: Get the drone in the Air>Tap on the Remote Control icon on the far left>Select Active Track> Draw a box around the subject>Select mode.

That is all well and good but I never see the Remote Control icon, so I cannot get any further. I am new to drone flying and apparently there is some setting I need to adjust to make the Remote Control icon appear. I have downloaded and installed all the current updates. I would appreciate any help anyone can give on this.

Thanks in advance

Joe Shanahan
I don’t know if any remote control icon?? Just tap the screen and drag around the subject you want to track. Pop up’s should appear from there.

Thanks for the response.

I can drag around the subject and the subject is selected, but the pop-up (Active Track - Spotlight - POI) does not appear. There must be some setting that allows the popup, but I can't figure where that setting is located.

Drag a box around what you want to select. There should be a menu appear at the bottom of the screen for active track

Reactions: SkyPath Studios
I had a similar problem. Couldn't get it going. The answer is to draw the box around the object. The is no icon to get it going.

Reactions: Scribble58
I had a similar problem. Couldn't get it going. The answer is to draw the box around the object. The is no icon to get it going.
That’s very strange… what happens when you draw a box around the subject? There should be a mode in the bottom middle of the screen and a green go button. I still don’t know what this remote icon is??

I am able to draw a box around the object or click on the + to select it. However, nothing happens. There is supposed to be a popup with (Active Track - Spotlight - POI), but that box never comes up. I believe there is a setting which I may have unintentionally changed which does not allow for Active Track to work, but I have no idea what or where that setting is.

I am able to draw a box around the object or click on the + to select it. However, nothing happens. There is supposed to be a popup with (Active Track - Spotlight - POI), but that box never comes up. I believe there is a setting which I may have unintentionally changed which does not allow for Active Track to work, but I have no idea what or where that setting is.
Yeah I’m as lost as you are. I’m looking and there isn’t any setting with anything to do with active track. Mine works though so it’s not like firmware took it away or anything.

This might happen if your recording frame rate is set higher than 30 FPS. Make sure that's not the case. Also update the app and drone firmware, if they are not up-to-date.

There is no setting to disable active track, however make sure you're in Normal mode (physical switch on the controller) before starting active track. Also, if the drone doesn't recognize the subject, it will not start active track, because it can't track everything, only certain things like people, cars, boats, and so on...

Reactions: Scribble58
This might happen if your recording frame rate is set higher than 30 FPS. Make sure that's not the case. Also update the app and drone firmware, if they are not up-to-date.

There is no setting to disable active track, however make sure you're in Normal mode (physical switch on the controller) before starting active track. Also, if the drone doesn't recognize the subject, it will not start active track, because it can't track everything, only certain things like people, cars, boats, and so on...
Yeah I didn’t even think of that! Try putting the video resolution to 4K 30p. That should do it. In 4K 60 it would respond the same way you described so that makes sense.

Yeah I’m as lost as you are. I’m looking and there isn’t any setting with anything to do with active track. Mine works though so it’s not like firmware took it away or anything.
SUCCESS! I kept trying different things. I finally discovered that the reason I was not seeing the pop-up window with the Active Track option was that I had somehow set the Controller to Tripod Mode. When I changed it to Normal, the popup window suddenly appeared.

Thanks to all who tried to help me with this. I cannot believe in all the YouTube videos I watched, not one of them mentioned Active Track will not work when you are in Tripod Mode. That seems kind of important.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317 and Yaros
There is no setting to disable active track, however make sure you're in Normal mode (physical switch on the controller) before starting active track.

Thanks for this information. 👍

I've flown since 2017 and never used the Active Track features on the Spark or the MA2 as they are just fun to fly. :)

I do start and end each flight in Tripod mode for safety reasons ( hand launch / land ) and I may forget to switch the mode during the flight should I decide to use the Active Track feature.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload