DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Best Battery Storage Practice?

Yep they all only start charging once cool enough.

So possibly 39c or 40c then ?
Not sure if that is best practice, even if within DJI range.
Hard to test that, but what I have is the laser temp gun, could maybe try putting on charge after hard flight last 10 mins, test temp, then put on charge and check temp when it starts.
Might give a general idea.

When not in use or in general?

@StantonZ Short answer: store ~50% SoC at room temperature.
This is a good rule of thumb for any Lithium-based batteries (LiPo/LiOn/LiFe).
Both if possible.
There's a million takes on Lithium-based batteries (I am a 10-year EV owner), but the less time spent at both ends of the capacity scale (full and empty) and the more time spent at moderate temps reduces capacity degradation and prolongs battery life.

Which aircraft pommy ?
Mavic Air and the Air 2S. It’s just my routine - as soon as I get home from flying - I could be just around the corner, they all go onto the charger (mostly warm, sometimes hot).

Thinking about it - it’s no different than putting them on the bench to cool? Nothing will happen until they are within the specified threshold for charging i.e. cooled down.

My Stihl batteries/charger go one step further. If I’m out in the garden, the battery goes flat - I put the hot battery onto the charger, nothing. Then the internal fan will blow it until the the right temp for charging is reached. It’s by design.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Mavic Air and the Air 2S. It’s just my routine - as soon as I get home from flying - I could be just around the corner, they all go onto the charger (mostly warm, sometimes hot).

Thinking about it - it’s no different than putting them on the bench to cool? Nothing will happen until they are within the specified threshold for charging i.e. cooled down.

My Stihl batteries/charger go one step further. If I’m out in the garden, the battery goes flat - I put the hot battery onto the charger, nothing. Then the internal fan will blow it until the the right temp for charging is reached. It’s by design.
All you have to do is a simple google search for "lipo battery care". There is a ton of great info out there. None of them suggest charging a hot or warm battery I am afraid.
Power equipment with lipo batteries is becoming very common and so are unexplained garage fires.

All you have to do is a simple google search for "lipo battery care". There is a ton of great info out there. None of them suggest charging a hot or warm battery I am afraid.

Power equipment with lipo batteries is becoming very common and so are unexplained garage fires.

I’ve been using the Stihl stuff for 5 years, as have colleagues - it’s designed this way. Hence the cooling fans to bring it to a safe temperature for charging.

Also, with reference to LED light meanings - the DJI charging hub says when placing the batteries on the charge…

Blinks yellowTemperature of batteries too low or too high (no further operation needed)

“No further operation needed” implies it’s ok to put them on there.

Anyway, do what you feel is safe for you mate :)

I’ll be using the “smart” features as I have been doing for many years ?

I’ve been using the Stihl stuff for 5 years, as have colleagues - it’s designed this way. Hence the cooling fans to bring it to a safe temperature for charging.

Also, with reference to LED light meanings - the DJI charging hub says when placing the batteries on the charge…

Blinks yellowTemperature of batteries too low or too high (no further operation needed)

“No further operation needed” implies it’s ok to put them on there.

Anyway, do what you feel is safe for you mate :)

I’ll be using the “smart” features as I have been doing for many years ?
Your talking to the wrong person about battery safety but like you said do as you please but don't give wrong information to someone who might not understand what could happen with a lipo fire.

What wrong information?
Well this is in my manual. Not sure which manual you use but it is not recommended to but a hot battery on the charger in the manual. And this is very common with other products but hey its your house and your choice do as you please.

Screenshot (68).png

Well this is in my manual. Not sure which manual you use but it is not recommended to but a hot battery on the charger in the manual. And this is very common with other products but hey its your house and your choice do as you please.

View attachment 135854
I haven’t given any wrong information or advice for that matter.

Just saying what I do with my batteries and that the charger won’t charge until the batteries are in the safe temperature to be charged.

Have a great day!

I haven’t given any wrong information or advice for that matter.

Just saying what I do with my batteries and that the charger won’t charge until the batteries are in the safe temperature to be charged.

Have a great day!
Not everyone uses the dji charger. A little battery education never hurts the new ones. I'm glad your happy with your charger.
Remember smart batteries are not all that smart but do as you please.

Great. Thanks for “allowing” me to do as I please. Just for the record - the Stihl manual says…

4D6D2132-CFD8-4CC8-BD8C-8F08D0A864D7.jpeg
It’s not misinformation.

The DJI charging hub has the same feature, it cannot possibly charge before it cools down.

You might take the extra steps of putting them to one side, checking the temp and if ok - then putting them on the charger. Cool.

Me? I just use the automatic charging feature it has.

Glad you have so much confidents in your tech to tell you the truth.
Hopefully it all works for many years as stated but I for one do not rely on automation to keep me safe. Been using RC lipos since 2014 and have seen my share of fires from posts on the various forums from being a moderator on a few of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy
Hey fellas, both of you will probably be ok, given the DJI charger SHOULD do its thing and only charge a safe temp battery.

What bothers me about the DJI system, is say you finish flying, and want to put it on straight away as per pommy's post below . . .

(Stihl charger) The DJI charging hub has the same feature, it cannot possibly charge before it cools down.

Now not sure of battery charge temp range on the MA / MA2S, but as per my M1P battery info, the safe charging temp is between 5c and 40c.

So say the battery comes out hotter than safe charge level from being used in the sun, flying harder etc, and you pop it in the charger and assuming it doesn't start charging immediately, but will just come on when it's in safe range.

What bothers me in that regard is will it start charging at 40c or 39c ??
And then gradually come down as it charges hopefully.
To me if that happens, it might be detrimental to the longevity of the battery(ies) charged this way, even at what DJI says is safe . . . safe for lipo fire, what about battery life ? (Do they really care ? $$$)

I have to say having 6 and 5 batteries respectively for the M1P and Spark, I rarely have to charge anything before well and truly home, that is if I have flown any below say 40% - 50% and want to fly again soon.
Otherwise I just top off to 2 solid / 3rd flashing leds and take them off.

pommy, keep in mind those Stihl power tools are wicked powerful, and I think the batteries need that special cooling charger.
I had a Blue Gum (huge, 3 tonnes of firewood) taken out by an expert crew last week . . . down to 8" to 10" dia they were using battery Stihl chainsaws, fast (maybe faster) than my 45cm bar petrol unit.

Hey fellas, both of you will probably be ok, given the DJI charger SHOULD do its thing and only charge a safe temp battery.

What bothers me about the DJI system, is say you finish flying, and want to put it on straight away as per pommy's post below . . .

Now not sure of battery charge temp range on the MA / MA2S, but as per my M1P battery info, the safe charging temp is between 5c and 40c.

So say the battery comes out hotter than safe charge level from being used in the sun, flying harder etc, and you pop it in the charger and assuming it doesn't start charging immediately, but will just come on when it's in safe range.

What bothers me in that regard is will it start charging at 40c or 39c ??
And then gradually come down as it charges hopefully.
To me if that happens, it might be detrimental to the longevity of the battery(ies) charged this way, even at what DJI says is safe . . . safe for lipo fire, what about battery life ? (Do they really care ? $$$)

I have to say having 6 and 5 batteries respectively for the M1P and Spark, I rarely have to charge anything before well and truly home, that is if I have flown any below say 40% - 50% and want to fly again soon.
Otherwise I just top off to 2 solid / 3rd flashing leds and take them off.

pommy, keep in mind those Stihl power tools are wicked powerful, and I think the batteries need that special cooling charger.
I had a Blue Gum (huge, 3 tonnes of firewood) taken out by an expert crew last week . . . down to 8" to 10" dia they were using battery Stihl chainsaws, fast (maybe faster) than my 45cm bar petrol unit.
Yep. You make great points.

If the battery is at 39° and starts to charge, the heat generated by charging might take it back to 40° at which point the BMS would stop the charging ?

Who knows ?

I used to do tree lopping, these battery tools are pretty great these days. The AL500 charger I use sounds like an airplane! (There are special vents in the batteries which line up with the fans when seated in the charger ??)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Something I find that works well for me: I bought a wi-if power strip / surge suppressor, and connected my DJI battery charging base to it. I programmed the power strip to turn “on” at 2 am and “off” at 6 am once per week. Programming is via a downloadable app. Difficulty level similar to setting an alarm on your IPhone. Of course on an actual “fly” day, I check them and give additional charge as needed.

So every time your batteries discharge themselves to avoid the wear of being full all the time you recharge them? That's the opposite of what you'd want.

I do the same thing, I will come in from flying a pack to get another battery off the charger and just stick it on the charger... they don't charge until the temp is right since if the pack is hot in my hand it just sits there then starts charging when it cools down (and im in the air with another battery).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy