DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Best Battery Storage Practice?

TheSnowyPilot

Reactions
So, I believe Air 2 and Air 2S batteries are LiPo - Might be wrong there. Do any of you have any storage recommendations which are safe? I know how dangerous FPV LiPo’s have known to be, and I would rather not have my house go up in flames if the same can happen here, so is there anything I should be doing when my Air 2S arrives tomorrow? I only have one FPV battery currently, which will be going on the concrete floor of the garage when I find a suitable container, at least then I know I did all I could to not cause something terrible if it malfunctions.

Anything else anyone wants to add or advise me on?

I would not worry about DJI batteries. They are lipo batteries and as such preferred to be partially charged to 3.8V. Most will self discharge to this voltage if fully charged after using and left sitting around for a number of days. The danger of lipo batteries is if they are drained too much. This will cause a chemical change in the battery which will generate gas causing the battery to swell. Swelled batteries can behave badly when charged, like explode. So if you bats look nice ie no swell don't worry. If swelled time to buy a new one.

I would not worry about DJI batteries. They are lipo batteries and as such preferred to be partially charged to 3.8V. Most will self discharge to this voltage if fully charged after using and left sitting around for a number of days. The danger of lipo batteries is if they are drained too much. This will cause a chemical change in the battery which will generate gas causing the battery to swell. Swelled batteries can behave badly when charged, like explode. So if you bats look nice ie no swell don't worry. If swelled time to buy a new one.
Does that go for all LiPo’s or is it just better not to risk that kind of thing with a normal one?

Does that go for all LiPo’s or is it just better not to risk that kind of thing with a normal one?
I have had only one DJI battery get puffy. I have had a number of other lipos get puffy. How well the batteries work is dependent on their manufacturing quality. Humidity seems to be an important factor. High humidity makes for poor lipo batteries. If I buy cheap lipos they tend to wear out ie swell faster. I attribute this to the conditions under which they were made. I have many lipos that are over 5 year old always stored at 3.8v and they still work perfectly. I must add that these are not highly cycled batteries. Lipos do have a cycle limit before they degrade in performance.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
@TheSnowyPilot the biggest difference between the newer drone batteries ,and the type that are used in FPV and other forms of RC is that the drone batteries have a built in BMS (battery management system) this controls the charge /discharge elements of the battery ,which consist of overcharge ,and very low discharge, both of which can cause problems ,it also takes care of the balance charging of the individual cells in the battery pack,and also allows the battery to communicate with the drone and allow data on the batteries state to be displayed in the App ,and it also allows the low battery RTH system to operate through this communication ,the older type lipos used the charger for balancing and charge control ,but so called intelligent batteries similar to the drone types are now becoming more widespread in the general RC hobby as they are being made with a BMS built in as well

@TheSnowyPilot the biggest difference between the newer drone batteries ,and the type that are used in FPV and other forms of RC is that the drone batteries have a built in BMS (battery management system) this controls the charge /discharge elements of the battery ,which consist of overcharge ,and very low discharge, both of which can cause problems ,it also takes care of the balance charging of the individual cells in the battery pack,and also allows the battery to communicate with the drone and allow data on the batteries state to be displayed in the App ,and it also allows the low battery RTH system to operate through this communication ,the older type lipos used the charger for balancing and charge control ,but so called intelligent batteries similar to the drone types are now becoming more widespread in the general RC hobby as they are being made with a BMS built in as well
Oh, I see, thank you Mister Mavic, Sir.

there is one big elephant in the room regarding most drone batteries that no one seems to consider
and that is proprietary batteries ,its one of the biggest ripoffs in battery design ,whenever a new drone is marketed
its the biggest money spinner for any manufacturer and is across the board ,and even the small companies are doing it
it is the biggest cost multiplier in drone ownership ,and means that after a set period of time these batteries are discontinued , or less reliable none OEM batteries are the only way to stay in the air

Short answer: store ~50% SoC at room temperature.
This is a good rule of thumb for any Lithium-based batteries (LiPo/LiOn/LiFe).

Short answer: store ~50% SoC at room temperature.
This is a good rule of thumb for any Lithium-based batteries (LiPo/LiOn/LiFe).
When not in use or in general?

Would it be best to charge batteries and leave to self discharge if they are not going to be used for a week or more, or just leave partially discharged to whatever level after a flight.

Never store a discharged battery, the worst practice.... I personally charge my batts full the day before flight, then charge back up to storage level....(2 solid to 3rd light flashing)

batteries stored in ammo box.

Last edited:
Some good advice above.

I still have my original M1P flymore (3) batteries from 2017, still work perfectly, no swelling ever and seem to be as good as more recent (3) extras purchased over the last 2 years or so.
They are pretty much obsolete now.

I also have my original flymore Spark batteries (3) from about 2018, and (2) extras purchased just before they were made obsolete a couple of years ago, and all of those are also perfectly functioning as new.

My general rules are similar to much of the above advice, and might add a few more to clarify.
In no particular order, all are as important as the next.

1. Store at ~ 50%. Generally not hard, as the DJI 'smarts' will discharge a full battery to ~ that in X days (not sure what the Air2/s does), that's as set in GO4 app (not sure about the Air Fly app, if you can set that, or if it does it in X days).
If I charge 6 batteries and only fly 3, I'll charge the 3 up to when the 3rd light starts blinking, then take them off and store.
The other 3, I will store and let them discharge automatically, or fly with them within the 5 days I have set for discharge.
If I fly any down to say just 70% or so, I will just store them and let then discharge automatically.

2. I try really REALLY hard not to land with less than 20% battery remaining, flying them too low is not good for them, certainly flying to 5% or less regularly is very bad for them.

3. Keep them cool ! You probably won't have too much of an issue in the UK, but if in a car on what you'd call a hot summers day, yeah, that can be bad for them long term.

4. Never charge a hot battery, straight from the drone flight, let them cool.

5. Never fly if a battery has entered auto discharge mode (you can see this in battery management window in GO4, not sure about Fly app), even if it shows a decent amount, say 3 to 3-1/2 lights, just recharge them.

6. Try and work inside the recommended DJI operating range, I think the upper and lower limit temps are there due mostly to battery performance / effect, eg. flying often on a hot day in sports mode will make the battery a lot hotter = reduced long term life . . . flight time if cold will likely be affected if battery is not warmed, so easy to fly to low %, and if done regularly this can also shorten battery life.

There might be other things I haven't managed to think about, but if you followed those general points, you should get good battery performance / longevity.

The DJI batteries are pretty hard to destroy, as compared to FPV soft lipo packs, just following points 1 to 4 above, and being aware of 4 and 5 will be enough to help prolong their life.

Charging, you are supposed to be right there to monitor them as they charge.
I don't, but do put them in a big stoneware casserole dish (your mum is going to love you for that), and then place on a stove top.
The stove has a hood air extractor above if a lipo fire ever happens, but I don't generally turn that on, just let them charge underneath that in case I detect a fire.
That's handy in case of lipo fire as the white smoke venting out is toxic Fluoride gas, plus it makes a mess.

Enjoy the Air2S, should see some great improvements on the photo quality you were worried about on your other thread(s), practice composition techniques and your photos will be improving out of sight.

Never charge a hot battery, straight from the drone flight, let them cool.
Is that one right my friend?

I'm pretty sure it's fine to stick them on the charger straight from the drone (with the DJI smart hub) as they won't charge until they are suitable for charging (via the BMS) and the same with too cold.

Is that one right my friend?

I'm pretty sure it's fine to stick them on the charger straight from the drone (with the DJI smart hub) as they won't charge until they are suitable for charging (via the BMS) and the same with too cold.

Not sure, some DJI chargers might be different . . . if I need to recharge, I have enough batteries to let them go for an hour or so, and totally cool off.

I guess the DJI chargers might allow them to cool down to a lower temp before starting up, not sure if they let them go cold though.

Haven't had temps low enough to know if cold weather charging is any different.

Reactions: pommy
Not sure, some DJI chargers might be different . . . if I need to recharge, I have enough batteries to let them go for an hour or so, and totally cool off.

I guess the DJI chargers might allow them to cool down to a lower temp before starting up, not sure if they let them go cold though.

Haven't had temps low enough to know if cold weather charging is any different.
Yeah, my battery power tools (Stihl) won’t charge in winter until I heat them up first (I leave them outside in a shipping container).

Some mornings, I run the generator for the charger to work, and use the exhaust heat to warm the batteries up until the charger will start to charge them ?

…I assume the temperature circuitry is the same with DJI ?

Yeah, my battery power tools (Stihl) won’t charge in winter until I heat them up first (I leave them outside in a shipping container).

Some mornings, I run the generator for the charger to work, and use the exhaust heat to warm the batteries up until the charger will start to charge them ?

…I assume the temperature circuitry is the same with DJI ?

To tell you the truth I ahve never tried charging a battery right after flight, so not sure if some chargers might do what you say.

Just thought I'd check my M1P manual, also the intelligent flight battery manual re this . . .

The battery manual portion relating to temps has this . . .

battery1.jpg

Yep the M1P manual on the battery charging section shows this info . . .

battery2.jpg

Will STOP charging, not sure if it would allow it to start charging if battery hotter, may relate to room temp as per second clip below . . .

battery3.jpg

It does have the bit in the led error status of "Charging temp is too high / low", could be room temp as per last para.

Might have to test on 12v charger straight after a flight next time, give it a good sports mode run, see if the charge leds come on.

Reactions: pommy
Great info! Cheers for that. It’s good to share ?

I know I’ve put mine onto the charger warm and it didn’t do anything - after a while, it automatically started to charge them.

Probably best practice not to perhaps ?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest