DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 cameras dips apps 15 degrees when going forward.

bobshot

Reactions
If in Sports mode and camera is at the horizon as soon as I press to go forward the gimbal drops down about 15 degrees. Sound familiar to anyone?

Did you set the function to allow the gimbal to pivot up beyond the horizon (Allow Upward Gimbal Rotation setting?)

It's a quadcopter - so any time you're moving forward, the entire aircraft will tilt nose-down. If you don't allow the gimbal to pivot beyond 90 degrees, of course you'll lose the horizon.

Also, are you in Follow mode or FPV mode?

Reactions: RobertR
That'll depend on what angle it tilts forward to, if your fighting a strong headwind its not uncommon. The original MAdid it far more often as it was a much smaller gimbal with limited range of motion than the MA2. The original MA would even tilt a small amount left or right about 30degrees in a crosswind situation (again due to smaller gimbal)- I've yet to see the MA2 have this issue.

Did you set the function to allow the gimbal to pivot up beyond the horizon (Allow Upward Gimbal Rotation setting?)

It's a quadcopter - so any time you're moving forward, the entire aircraft will tilt nose-down. If you don't allow the gimbal to pivot beyond 90 degrees, of course you'll lose the horizon.

Also, are you in Follow mode or FPV mode?

Yes, gimbal is set to pivot above horizon. Flying in follow mode. I have Air 2 for a couple weeks so I know it should stay on horizon when going forward. What happens is I will be hovering and press forward the camera goes down the fifteen degrees and what I will do is press function button and it will go straight down and press it again it will come p to horizon where it should have been at forward movement.

That'll depend on what angle it tilts forward to, if your fighting a strong headwind its not uncommon. The original MAdid it far more often as it was a much smaller gimbal with limited range of motion than the MA2. The original MA would even tilt a small amount left or right about 30degrees in a crosswind situation (again due to smaller gimbal)- I've yet to see the MA2 have this issue.

0 headwind. From hover you take off and you see the camera drop the 15 degrees and you let off and hover and its still below horizon. Hasn't done it in Normal or tripod.

Yes, it only happens in Sport mode because the AC pitches forward (initially) more than the gimbal can handle.
0 headwind. From hover you take off and you see the camera drop the 15 degrees and you let off and hover and its still below horizon. Hasn't done it in Normal or tripod.

0 headwind. From hover you take off and you see the camera drop the 15 degrees and you let off and hover and it's still below horizon. Hasn't done it in Normal or tripod.
If the drone tilts further forward (or backward) beyond the mechanical limits of the gimbal's range of motion, the gimbal fetches up against the bump stop beyond which it is incapable of moving. That will drag the camera out of its stabilized position. That makes sense.

But the question is, why does the gimbal not resume its original position after the drone levels off again? Instead the gimbal jumps approximately 15 degrees away from the bump stop, and stays there.

My Mavic Mini does the same thing. I made a little video to show this happening. What's curious is that the gimbal behaves differently when the motors are not running, versus with motors running.

I wanted to show how the gimbal jumps and sticks there, but discovered that without the motors running it actually behaves the way I think it should. If you tilt the drone beyond the mechanical range capable of the gimbal, of course the camera gets dragged out of its stabilized position. But when the drone is levelled off the gimbal again resumes the same initial stabilized position. Evidently this does work.

It's only when the motors are running that the gimbal jumps and sticks 15 degrees away from the bump stop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes