DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 codec

Reggie

Reactions
I'm considering getting myself a Mavic Air 2, but thought id check a few things out before i go for it. Thing is, I have an old i5 laptop and know it will struggle with 4k editing.

I plan to upgrade to a fast desktop as soon finances allow, so I was wondering if I could edit the smaller resolution files until i upgrade my computer.

1) The specification states" MP4/MOV (H.264/MPG-4 AVC, H265/HEVC)", but what it doesn't say is which codec is for which resolution. Could someone please list the codec for each res/f/s? I'm paticulally interested if FHD/240 & FHD HDR.

2) Would it be possible for someone to point me in the direction, of a few video clips straight from the drone, at all frame rates and resolutions, so I can test my editing software?

3) I plan to use Blender VSE or Hitfilm express to edit the footage, could they read the codec and edit in 4k/60 H.265 I know it would be VERY VERY slow, but would this crash my computer?

Thanks in advance,

Reggie.

I have a 4 year Mac Air and it does just fine with DaVinci or Premiere Pro using the .264 codec, even with 4k. You have the option to set .264 as the default, and until you can get a new computer, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for that Nonprophet, i can't play with the application, because i need a drone to connect before it'll let me in.

I have a 4 year Mac Air and it does just fine with DaVinci or Premiere Pro using the .264 codec, even with 4k. You have the option to set .264 as the default, and until you can get a new computer, I highly recommend it.
If you shoot 4k/60 though, it is only in H265. Another gotcha it that if you shoot in a format that requires H265, it won't default back to an H264 setting at the lower resolutions, you have to go back in and change it manually.

Reactions: Nonprophet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S