DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller

One of the reviews mentioned new controller has 2x2600mAh 18650 batteries vs 1x2970mAh in the Air 1 controller. I wonder why the increased capacity
Increased capacity is almost always welcomed in a battery powered device. Some of the reviews mention the controller can also charge your phone.

The old controller was compact. But it would take me a long time to get set up. The cable always came loose from the little slidey thing and then I'd have to fight it to get in. Then the grip would cover the ambient light sensor on the phone and the screen would go dim. While the new controller is big I suspect it will take a fraction of the time to set up and get going. Screw thumbsticks in, pull up antenna/phone holder, insert phone (with case hopefully) and plug in.

As for the size, well, compact size went out the window when the MA2 got much bigger than the MA1.

Reactions: dcpmark
Maybe the increased size has something to do with the ADS-B hardware?

Maybe the increased size has something to do with the ADS-B hardware?

I think the ADS-B hardware is in the drone itself, not the controller. (ADS-B receivers aren't really that large anyway: I have a small USB stick for my PC that I use for receiving ADS-B signals on my PC at home)

I agree. im coming from larger RC controllers and a solid unibody design is welcomed. I wish they would have used up some of that space on the front plate to add bigger gimbals, I could use the extra resolution. Size doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, If you are really that limited on space you might be in for other problems imo.
Idk if it is just me, but I have never touched the pause button in my life, even after over 3 years of mavic flying.
Same here. You just have to pay attention to what you're doing. And not too much attention either. Way less than with FPV. Those birds are VERY forgiving. I always wondered why somebody thought I'd need this button...

Same here. You just have to pay attention to what you're doing. And not too much attention either. Way less than with FPV. Those birds are VERY forgiving. I always wondered why somebody thought I'd need this button...

Pause button is handy when you get into the one of the auto modes. Let say you misadjust the distance and it's moving outward in a Spiral. Hitting the pause button would be a quick way to stop the drone. Otherwise you might fiddle with the app too long and hit something.

I welcome the change in controller, the cables and the phone attachment was one of the most annoying features of the Air. I am curious if my tablet holder will work in the controller, but if not someone will make one that does. That cable attachment makes me want to just throw the controller in the lake more often than not and was always afraid of breaking the antennae. Add to that the massive battery capacity than will keep your phone or table charged, I think it's a great upgrade(it just doesn't look at sleek)

Pause button is handy when you get into the one of the auto modes. Let say you misadjust the distance and it's moving outward in a Spiral. Hitting the pause button would be a quick way to stop the drone. Otherwise you might fiddle with the app too long and hit something.

I have no way of checking this now but isn't any movement of the joysticks supposed to interrupt a quickshot or hyperlapse shot and restore manual control?

Rumor is two weeks after the release.
Why can't they just send out the update at the same time that they release the new drone? Not smart to do it how they're doing it now in my opinion.

Why can't they just send out the update at the same time that they release the new drone? Not smart to do it how they're doing it now in my opinion.

I take it you’re not in software development?

Also what’s the rush? Will two weeks make any difference? How many MA2 owners have a CrystalSky? 1%

Two weeks won’t make a difference.

• Haha
Reactions: geneg
I know but why the wait? That doesn't help anything.

Are you saying that all this time developing the MA2 they couldn't have works on software?!

I’m saying that software is more complex than you realize and that sometime you can’t hit every deadline. Their priority is to make sure the software they do get done addresses the needs of a vast, vast majority of owners.

What you rather have on the first day, a CrystalSky that works or a drone that doesn’t fly off? See, priorities.

Reactions: geneg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54