DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic AIR 2 crash and DJI repair process???

Embalmer12

Reactions
Short recap:

Crashed my Air 2 into a tree and the gimbal arms broke, camera is fine but dangling from the wires.

Called DJI to inquire about warranty and the Refresh program. My drone is out of warranty.

I have a couple of questions that 'Steven' from DJI couldn't really answer because 'he's not an engineer' doing repairs....

1. No itemized price list for parts?! I have no idea how much this will cost out of pocket. I'm sending my drone in to DJI to get inspected and only then I will know how much because the person inspecting is the only one privy to that price list. I understand I can 'inquire' about the replacement parts and their cost--this seems like a way of making me pay a premium.

2. What does DJI do with the parts from your drone? For example, the camera is fine--since I'm paying for the new camera/gimbal parts and I already paid for the original--I feel as though I should get the original back instead of donating it to DJI.

3. Do I get a refurbished drone? I'd actually like to keep my original drone as this particular drone has low operating hours. If it's refurbished, what have you had to do in regards to the Drone serial number and the FAA?

Thanks for any and all help with this!!

since I'm paying for the new camera/gimba
This may only be an assumption. If the existing camera is operating as it should DJI will not just replace it to make you pay for another one.

Once DJI evaluates the damage, they will email you an itemized list of parts and necessary repairs. You have the right to refuse and have the drone returned to you unrepaired.

Reactions: Embalmer12
For my Spark I did find some parts/repair prices online, but I don't remember when. When I sent it for repair the price quoted was a the parts but I got a new/refurbished drone in return. Quite reasonable in price and really good for turnaround.

You'll get nothing back of yours that you send in. You will get a refurb drone sent. If you want your specific drone fixed and repaired then you will need to find a local place to repair or do it yourself.

If its only the camera that's broken look on youtube and fond repair videos I'm not sure the air 2 but I know the mavic 2 the gimbal camera swap was fairly simply

Thanks for your replies!

To clarify because its Monday:

It sounds like I will receive a refurbished drone from DJI instead of my original drone with fixed parts. Is this correct?

The other option is to keep my original drone I'd take it to a repair shop (doing it myself is not an option--not recommended by me or anyone) and they would repair my specific drone.

Sound correct? Anything else you can think of so if someone else finds this they might see more transparency in the DJI replacement/repair process?

I've said it for years, usually seconds to days after purchase; 'It can't stay new forever.' Thanks again!

Just finished a conversation with DJI. I understand the advantage to having DJI repair the drone. I don't understand why I'm paying to replace specific parts when I'd be getting a refurbished drone. If my drone had more hours of operation it would be a good deal but my drone is adolescent at best.

Has anyone had experience with local drone repair?

How do you know you would get a refurbished drone and not a new one?
When I sent my Spark for repair I believe I got a new one in return.

Just finished a conversation with DJI. I understand the advantage to having DJI repair the drone. I don't understand why I'm paying to replace specific parts when I'd be getting a refurbished drone. If my drone had more hours of operation it would be a good deal but my drone is adolescent at best.

Has anyone had experience with local drone repair?
Because they will most likely repair it and use it as a reverb to send to someone else

They ***** the damage to yours you send in. Charge you for the parts required to fix it but will ship out a different drone. And send yours in house to be repaired and then sold off to the next

If it makes economic business sense the repair the drone why not just repair it and return to the original customer? Why would DJI repair it and then send it with same serial number to another customer as refurbished?
On the other hand if repair doesn't make economic business sense, then the customer would get a new drone.
I'm only guessing the internal DJI repair or scrap policy. Is is really cost effective for DJI to do repairs rather than replace?

If it makes economic business sense the repair the drone why not just repair it and return to the original customer? Why would DJI repair it and then send it with same serial number to another customer as refurbished?
On the other hand if repair doesn't make economic business sense, then the customer would get a new drone.
I'm only guessing the internal DJI repair or scrap policy. Is is really cost effective for DJI to do repairs rather than replace?
Would you rather have a drone returned in a timely manner or wait for six months for yours to even get examined? It's not like they have hundreds of technicians sitting around waiting to repair crashed drones.

Reactions: GFields
In business management inventory is critical and inventory turns is a concept where inventory comes and goes out quickly. So, keeping products in need of repair on inventory for 6 months makes no economic business sense. If it can't be repaired expeditiously then get it off of inventory by scrapping or something else. Maybe repair doesn't make business sense as it makes more sense to take a new item from production than put costs into repair.
Does anyone have facts to prove the item received for "repair" is actually a repaired drone and not a new drone?

If its only the camera that's broken look on youtube and fond repair videos I'm not sure the air 2 but I know the mavic 2 the gimbal camera swap was fairly simply
I believe replacing a camera on the newer drones require some DJI Proprietary software to enable it to be paired to the main board. Unlike previous drones, replacing the camera with a different one isn't DIY.

My first thought was 'I can fix this.'

Then I thought 'I can fix the parts but the tech stuff-sensors, calibrating, etc...nope!'

I'm going to send it in to DJI and see what I get back--If it's a refurbished drone, will I have to register the new serial number with the FAA?

Looked to see what it would cost to buy one in the meantime. I can't find any Air 2 for sale and they're out of stock on dji.com. DJI says they aren't discontinued but they aren't available anywhere. Maybe it's time to look at the new stuff....

Then I thought 'I can fix the parts but the tech stuff-sensors, calibrating, etc...nope!'

I'm going to send it in to DJI and see what I get back--If it's a refurbished drone, will I have to register the new serial number with the FAA?

Looked to see what it would cost to buy one in the meantime. I can't find any Air 2 for sale and they're out of stock on dji.com. DJI says they aren't discontinued but they aren't available anywhere. Maybe it's time to look at the new stuff....
put some kind of marking on yours you send in or record the serial number. then youll see if yours is actually returned. but ive always seen and read across the forums and FB groups they just evaluate what needs to be replaced and fixed then shoot ya off a new one. i do also have a complete a2s kit available i was gonna list

Yes, you will need to register the new number and deactivate the old one. Simple process, I just now completed it.

You'll get nothing back of yours that you send in. You will get a refurb drone sent. If you want your specific drone fixed and repaired then you will need to find a local place to repair or do it yourself.

@Embalmer12
I DO NOT know how difficult it is to replace an Air 2 gimbal/camera but be wary of a DIY gimbal and or camera replacement.
Before you even contemplate it CHECK whether or not it is one of the drones where the camera and or gimbal assembly are electronically paired with/to something in the drone.
If it is then it is likely that you will need to recalibrate the replacement gimbal/camera using the Python programming language and some software download from somewhere like "Github".
Even if individual gimbal arms, as pattern or second hand spare parts, are available they may have motors and or control boards built in and changing those may trigger the need to do the above recalibration.
The latter is not difficult but it is not everyone's cup of tea, as far as I remember it left a residual warning message but that didn't affect the operation of the drone/camera/gimbal.

Yes replacing an M2P/Z camera and gimbal is easy and probably a 5 min job for a pro (WHY did DJI change this????? lol).
But with the likes of the mavic mini and mini 2 you have to virtually dismantle the main body of the drone to do so. The mini's cables are stuck to the body shell and from memory the connectors to the main board where clamped down by something and or possibly glued down.........then the above Python etc. stuff would be required after the rebuild.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1