DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Distance?

Are we not allowed to have range contests here anymore? Seemed to be big when the MA1 came out. I would have thought by now we’d see some serious distances achieved.

Reactions: gb160
In Australia (CE mode) I’m getting 500 metres (a third of a mile) in the same conditions, before I lose connnection. With line of sight. [emoji17]

I could get 1600m with my air one in urban environment.

I just went out in the neighborhood and at max height got out to 2200ft before losing signal and it initiated RTH. I regained signal and brought it back. Heavy wifi area and I was at ground level and at that angle would have had houses between me and the drone. I really want to get out in the middle of nowhere and see what happens. We have a ridge not far away that's 1600' tall and has a commanding view around it. That should be ideal conditions for max distances.

In Australia (CE mode) I’m getting 500 metres (a third of a mile) in the same conditions, before I lose connnection. With line of sight. ?
I'm in Sydney. I reached 1300m on Parramatta river, not bad but not awesome either considering low density of disturbance. I will try further. Compared to my old MP1 in FCC in USA is a disaster, compared to my MA1 is a tremendous success ( in all, MA1 was bad in many parts)

Likewise, not going further than 1km in urban areas in Singapore. Went to the beach, max distance at 1.2km.

I just went out in the neighborhood and at max height got out to 2200ft before losing signal and it initiated RTH. I regained signal and brought it back. Heavy wifi area and I was at ground level and at that angle would have had houses between me and the drone. I really want to get out in the middle of nowhere and see what happens. We have a ridge not far away that's 1600' tall and has a commanding view around it. That should be ideal conditions for max distances.

I suspected something was off. I went for another flight today, this time on a hillside with a nice view of the Tualatin River valley. No interference possible aside from a few houses near me.

Went out to 8000ft before getting signal loss. Brought it back. Changed battery and checked the settings. Seems like 2.4Ghz is the default. Switched it to Auto and did some test shots then sent it out again. This time to 14000ft. Some signal loss but I ran out of battery before having to come back. 4.25km is well short of 10km. With the signal loss I was getting there is no way at that location I would get to 10km.

But I bet I can now get better distance in the neighborhood. We'll see.

IMG_7916.jpeg

I am sure I am missing it listed somewhere, but what is the distance of the Mavic Air 2? I know the flight time, but can it go far as well?
After repeated testing in a semi controller environment with medium density WFi and alarm systems within 1/8 mile at all times: in HD transmission mode auto switching- I get image breakup between 5000’ to 1.0miles and control loss at 1.2miles.
this has been repeated 5 different times at the same location.

I flew my MA2 over water (an inlet) to the other side 2.3 miles (12500ft) across and back and had 48% battery life left when I got back.

My wife was at the other side at a boat launch as a spotter in case I had to make an emergency landing.

I had the “weak signal” message pop up occasionally but I was able to control the bird once I got across. It was a little sluggish to respond at that distance however. I pressed the RTH button myself and let it come back. Normal mode the whole way. My heart was beating pretty fast the entire time as this was my longest flight especially over water!

I just got mine yesterday - May 16, 2020 - I took it to the park in suburban Pittsburgh - At about 4,500 feet I began getting warnings. I'll say I was only at 320 feet - perhaps if I went higher? I came home and did another run - about the same - just under 5K feet before I lost connection. It's hilly here for those of you that don't know - and this was not "line of sight" - but I expected 2 miles easily.

Here’s a screenshot of my phone at the other side (halfway point). A3DC3B9E-4AD3-4DF8-9E0D-729788276783.jpeg

Last edited:
Was able to do 19019 feet today with a good line of sight @ 325 feet high. Still had good signal quality, but received the return trip estimate battery warning so wasn't going to push it further. Got back with 13% battery so it was the right choice.

Yeah I got 1km today max before losing signal and it returned to home

Australia
I thought that Oz was using the FCC regs now? The Mini sent there and NZ was the FCC version.

Are you in a deeply infected interference area ?

Was able to do 19019 feet today with a good line of sight @ 325 feet high. Still had good signal quality, but received the return trip estimate battery warning so wasn't going to push it further. Got back with 13% battery so it was the right choice.

I think I might have been able to get that with a full battery. You never got a signal drop?

What is fcc mode?
Drone newbie ?
OK, here goes..

Go into the transmission page (when all is up and running) and tell me the following:

Do you see the options "Auto" and "Manual" ?
Look at the chart (table). If the 1km mark is above the 90db (+-87db) then you are in FCC mode. If it is on the 90db line and you only have the AUTO option you are in CE mode.

Please note that the "FCC" and "CE" markings you see on the pic will not show on your screen as it is text put on.

Are you on IOS or Android ?

FCC or CE.jpg

Made it to 5900 flying from my yard smack in the middle of my neighborhood with big trees and houses all around me. Pretty decent I thought given all the interference and obstructions around me plus the hilly terrain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200518-010525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518-010525_Chrome.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 19
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys