DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Fly App compatibility with Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 2022 model.

StrikerBB

Reactions
Hi Guys, hope all is great. I have a Mavic Air 2 with Fly App which worked well with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone, however the USB C port on the phone started acting up. I did some research on the net and saw some posts about the Galaxy Tab A8 2019 and 2021 tablets work with the MA2.

I went ahead and bought (awaiting arrival) an 2022 Tab A8 but saw a post on DJI forums that it might not work. Has anyone had luck with the 2022 model? I am guessing that there are differences between the previous models and the 2022 which makes the latter inoperable, please share advice or experiences.

Cheers and thanks.

As long as you bought the 64gb and at least 3gb Ram is should work great. The spec looks perfect.

Tab8.jpg

Reactions: StrikerBB
As long as you bought the 64gb and at least 3gb Ram is should work great. The spec looks perfect.

View attachment 147836
That's the exact one I bought Boss, with also 4 gigabytes RAM.

Thanks so much for the reply and confirmation, this makes me feel a lot better. I should be getting it later on today, I will keep the thread updated with my progress.

Cheers and have a great afternoon.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I bought this tablet from Best Buy for $219, it's currently on sale at $60 off.

You can see it at Best Buy here.
Please keep me updated if it works with DJI Fly when it arrives :)
I'm also interested in buying a tablet, this one might be a good choice!

Please keep me updated if it works with DJI Fly when it arrives :)
I'm also interested in buying a tablet, this one might be a good choice!
Hi Yaros and everyone else following this thread. I received my Tab 8 with 64 gig storage and 4 gig RAM (2022 model) a few hours ago and after downloading DJI Fly from DJI's website, my Mavic Air 2 connected instantly, Whoo Hoo :)

I do like this tablet, its fast and with very good crisp resolution for what is, better than my Note 8 and especially for a 10.5" screen. Its a bit heavier than my 2013 Samsung Galaxy S2 (obsolete for MA2) which is all plastic as opposed to this Tab 8 which has an aluminum casing. I bought a neat Tablet holder for the Tab 8, but have to reshape a longer USB-C to USB-C to reach the tablet from the tablet holder and controller, the original is too short. To do the initial test I just connected the tablet to the controller flat on a table and side by side.

It's night here so cant do a flight test but everything for flying wise seems OK, I got the go ahead to fly from the Fly app. There are some features greyed out, like some camera settings etc. I think it's because I did not have the drone powered up while in the settings menu, I was charging the batteries after it did the firmware update.

I will try soon again and post updates here.

Thanks to March411 who confirmed that the Tab8 will work, I really appreciate that my friend.

Cheers and have a great night all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaros and March411
Glad it worked out!

You nudged me to look at tablets and I ended up looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite, something a little smaller and found them on sale at Best Buy for $119. Fit the specs so I'm going to give that one a try.

Road trip tomorrow.

Glad it worked out!

You nudged me to look at tablets and I ended up looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite, something a little smaller and found them on sale at Best Buy for $119. Fit the specs so I'm going to give that one a try.

Road trip tomorrow.
Hi March411, I was born in March by the way :) I am happy that you will be looking at an upgrade. The Tab A7 works well from all that I have read and seen, it does not have much lower specs than the A8. I bought the 10.5" model because I will use it as a day to day device too. I have a 10 year old S2 which still works really well and I used that every day from day one. I have an Apple Ipad 2 as well (2013) its really heavy so it was time for an upgrade and one which I can use with the MA2.

I am sure you will like the A7, it has great reviews as a tablet and for Dji Fly as well. I just fired up the MA2 and I can adjust everything via the A8, so its not lacking any functionality at all.

Thanks so much again and let us know how the A7 worked out for you. Have great and safe trip on the road tomorrow.

Have a great night.

Reactions: March411
Hi March411, I was born in March by the way :) I am happy that you will be looking at an upgrade. The Tab A7 works well from all that I have read and seen, it does not have much lower specs than the A8. I bought the 10.5" model because I will use it as a day to day device too. I have a 10 year old S2 which still works really well and I used that every day from day one. I have an Apple Ipad 2 as well (2013) its really heavy so it was time for an upgrade and one which I can use with the MA2.

I am sure you will like the A7, it has great reviews as a tablet and for Dji Fly as well. I just fired up the MA2 and I can adjust everything via the A8, so its not lacking any functionality at all.

Thanks so much again and let us know how the A7 worked out for you. Have great and safe trip on the road tomorrow.

Have a great night.

Appreciated Striker!

I loaded the fly app and took the MA2 for a spin with the A7 Lite and everything was golden! I've been using a iPad Pro and it was a bit large to go into remote locations. The A7 give's me just enough viewing in a bit smaller size.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from the Caribbean, it must been nice to call that location home.

Last edited:
Thanks both Striker and March for the info about the Tab A8 and At Lite. I have a brand new MA2 but haven't been able to fly it yet as not compatible with my Galaxy phone. Was looking at what tablet to buy so you have both made the decision for me, am gonna go with an A8. Thanks guys.

Appreciated Striker!

I loaded the fly app and took the MA2 for a spin with the A7 Lite and everything was golden! I've been using a iPad Pro and it was a bit large to go into remote locations. The A7 give's me just enough viewing in a bit smaller size.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from the Caribbean, it must been nice to call that location home.
Good Morning. I am happy it worked out well for you. I test flew the MA2 and it worked perfectly. In the sunlight, it is not as bright but I cant fault the A8 for this, it was not made to be used in direct sunlight like all the other tablets. I love the A8 for this purpose though and in the shade it's sharp.

Have fun and thanks again.

Cheers.

Thanks both Striker and March for the info about the Tab A8 and At Lite. I have a brand new MA2 but haven't been able to fly it yet as not compatible with my Galaxy phone. Was looking at what tablet to buy so you have both made the decision for me, am gonna go with an A8. Thanks guys.
Hello Ergon,

Happy to help. I was researching this for a few days and no one reported back saying they have had success using the A8, in fact some said it won't work and the guys in DJI forums did not even reply to my questions at all, nay or yea.

March411 said it will work, thanks to him.

You wont regret getting the A8, its a bit heavier than the plastic case tablets, I would suggest you get a tablet holder, I will send you the link to the one I bought and used for the A8.

Grab the A8 while its on sale now.

This is the tablet holder I bought fits firm and has a neck strap which I think is great because of the added weight. Its adjustable for phones and tablets and you can also adjust tilt and can be rotated horizontally which is what I did. I fly giant scale airplanes and always used a neck strap from the beginning of my RC flying hobby. This is the one I bought found here

There are also other types like this one and this one. The latter 2 are simple and less bulky but does not have a neck strap, I would advise you use a neck strap if flying for longer periods using 2 or more batteries.

NOTE: Purchase the A8 with 64 Gigs of memory, which also comes with 4 Gigs of RAM.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yup I agree, I did mention this 3 posts before this one "In the sunlight, it is not as bright but I cant fault the A8 for this, it was not made to be used in direct sunlight, like all the other tablets."
If it works for you, that's all that matters. I just wish I could find a tablet that got bright without being too expensive. The larger display is really nice.

You'll notice the spec above don't mention 64 bit in the platform area. A kind member explained to me that the CPU of these compatible tablets are 64 bit. My Samsung Tab A7 Lite has the 64 bit processor and is working just fine with DJI Fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada