DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - H265 problem

I don't think that's a full speaker. It's a vent for the electronics. (the controller just has a crappy beeper inside) The audio warnings actually come from your connected phone/tablet.
Well, i'm not 100% sure either, didn't verify, but the picture i used to illustrate had its legend saying it was though. For being only a buzzer or so, it'd be kinda big sized don't you think ? But ok, might be, i can't say 100% it's a full speaker or not (night time here, wife would kill me if i made noise hehe). I'll try tomorrow by cutting off completely my smartphone's sound.
Edit : i read your post too quickly, ok i get it : a vent to let the component cool down, i see. Sorry, English isn't my native tongue so i miss sometimes things. ^^

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have been looking at the Osmo for B roll footage ; > ), does it fully me your needs?
Coming from a GoPro Hero Black + with FeiyuTech 4-axis gimbal, yes it does. ^^ The only thing which might be annoying is that the battery is integrated, but i bought a powerbank, problem solved. Also, it's not the best for filming by walking (little roller coaster effect but still decent). For the quality itself and features, i think it's a good deal, as i carry already 2.5kg+ with my D750+Tamron 15-30mm usually, so it's little size is a real bonus for me. I highly advice to get the little ND filters set with it though, as it handles exposure changes with difficulties.

Where did you expect the sound to come from.? There are no DJI drones that are equipped with microphones. Your mobile device would have to be configured or app. Equipped to record local sound. As far as Vick’s problems go, I would try another sd card. Format it in the bird and make sure it has high speed write specs. Hope this helps.
I was surprised to hear audio from my Mavic Air videos. The controller has a mic. Not sure about the Air 2. The Mini doesn't have sound....

You got it. See why i'm perplex ? =/ I'm pretty sure i already watched some 4k H.265 videos on this laptop, but it would take me days to search on my storage HDDs which ones.
As explained before, i managed yesterday to convert the "frozen" footage through handbrake in a perfectly smooth H.264 video. A few minutes ago, i did the same operation again but chosing this time H.265 as format, and guess what ? Perfectly smooth video too. This makes no sense...

Sorry for late jumping in but I found this:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-14 um 22.09.45.png
the full thread in DavinciResolve Forum is here:

Forgive me if you know all this already ; )

Reactions: keio
Sorry for late jumping in but I found this:
View attachment 107830
the full thread in DavinciResolve Forum is here:

Forgive me if you know all this already ; )
Thanks for the info, i appreciate UliK ! Always useful to get different possibilities to work on. Sadly, the proposed solution is only the win10 codec which is already installed, and i'm also running the studio version, so it won't help. Thanks anyway, though. =)

Thanks for the info, i appreciate UliK ! Always useful to get different possibilities to work on. Sadly, the proposed solution is only the win10 codec which is already installed, and i'm also running the studio version, so it won't help. Thanks anyway, though. =)
OK, I see.
I am sure you did both of this tests, but was the outcome OK?
If not look for this: Blackmagic RAW Speed Test for PC and also the regular Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

And from my experience it is always better to run footage from a fast and separate disk - and not the one Resolve is running from.

What you've described at the beginning I can only think of Handbrake increasing compression so the footage runs smoother afterwards on your system...
Did you check if the file size is smaller after going thru Handbrake?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I see.
I am sure you did both of this tests, but was the outcome OK?
If not look for this: Blackmagic RAW Speed Test for PC and also the regular Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

And from my experience it is always better to run footage from a fast and separate disk - and not the one Resolve is running from.

What you've described at the beginning I can only think of Handbrake increasing compression so the footage runs smoother afterwards on your system...
Did you check if the file size is smaller after going thru Handbrake?
No, Resolve is anyway secondary and run just fine with any other footage source from the same disk (please see my first post, you'll then understand that i don't have at all any 'power' problem with my laptop, it's a really strong and fast one and SSDs are within the best you can get which is why i switch them ^^). Fact is, any other h.265 footages are running just fine. Now, to answer your question, sure the new encoded file is smaller as it's only 1080p. Problem is, i think, with the encoding method on the MA2 i think, i cannot think of anything else if other H.265 are playing smoothly on this laptop.

No, Resolve is anyway secondary and run just fine with any other footage source from the same disk (please see my first post, you'll then understand that i don't have at all any 'power' problem with my laptop, it's a really strong and fast one and SSDs are within the best you can get which is why i switch them ^^). Fact is, any other h.265 footages are running just fine. Now, to answer your question, sure the new encoded file is smaller as it's only 1080p. Problem is, i think, with the encoding method on the MA2 i think, i cannot think of anything else if other H.265 are playing smoothly on this laptop.
Understand.
Somehow it must be connected to DJI/Windows then because I have non of your issues on a high end MacBook Pro and MacOS. Files running both on desktop and within Resolve...
Hope you'll find a solution.

Same here...4K/60 rps files are useless in my PC (realy good one). What amaze me is that the tablet - Huawei Mediapad M5 playing these videos perfectly. I don't think that this tablet is more powerful than my PC, so the problem is something which we do not know....

Greetings,
I recently bought a Mavic Air 2 and could finally get it in the air 2 days ago, but while i was pretty satisfied with its flight performances, when i checked the footage i shot once back home, i noticed that all videos were without sound and failed (frozen image, then slowmotion but not the feature lol, pixel artefacts, blanks...). Today, i decided to take a bit time and make a few tests at home, connected the drone to my RC, and made 2 series of tests for all 3 modes (4k, 2.7k, 1080p) in both H264 and H265.

H264 : all 3 mode success but no sound.
H265 : 4k was frozen, 2.7k mix of frozen and pixellization, and 1080p fine, all without sound.

For information, Windows 10 (x64) on an Asus Rog 752VY laptop (Intel I7 | DDR4 2133 MHz 32GB SDRAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M 8GB GDDR5 VRAM | Samsung ssd 970 evo plus nvme m.2 ).
Obviously, OS, softwares, and nVidia drivers, everything up to date.
I tried reading the videos on VLC, Win10's player, and even in Da Vinci Resolve which is where i could see that i had blanks between the frozen images (light blue spaces).
I'm also familiar with video and already read H265 videos several times on my laptop (but still prefer using H264 to encode my videos for my part ^^).
So, i highly doubt that the origin of this problem might be on my gear, but as this is not really my field, i came here with the hope anyone would have encounter such type of issues.

Thanks in advance to anybody which could point me in the right direction. =)

Your test results exactly match mine and I've tried using three different Win10 machines, all of which are very powerful and process all other video files without issue. I strongly believe this issue is related to the H.265 encoding that occurs on the drone itself. I'll be in touch with DJI support today. Has anyone else contacted them?

I was surprised to hear audio from my Mavic Air videos. The controller has a mic. Not sure about the Air 2. The Mini doesn't have sound....

The controller doesn't have a Mic. Your phone/tablet has a mic and there is an option in DJI Go 4 to record local audio with the cached video files. The files you pull off the drone never have audio though.

Unfortunately no such option with DJI Fly for the Mavic Air 2.

Your test results exactly match mine and I've tried using three different Win10 machines, all of which are very powerful and process all other video files without issue. I strongly believe this issue is related to the H.265 encoding that occurs on the drone itself. I'll be in touch with DJI support today. Has anyone else contacted them?
If you get any relevant information from DJI, will you please share ? I more or lesser gave up with this issue, simply converting the footages in... h.265 (again...) through handbrake, so that i can read/mod them in Resolve...

If you get any relevant information from DJI, will you please share ? I more or lesser gave up with this issue, simply converting the footages in... h.265 (again...) through handbrake, so that i can read/mod them in Resolve...

I've had a ticket open for 10 days. They email me once every 24 hours to respond and say "It should work just fine. Something must be wrong on your end." I've given exhaustive details and insisted repeatedly that my Win10 machines simply can't be the problem due to the lack of issues with any other H.265 videos.

They are now asking me to send them video of the error, i.e., iPhone video of me trying to view/edit the faulty H.265 videos. I hope to get that done today but honestly it seems rather ridiculous that I have to video my computer screen so they will believe me.

• Sad
I've had a ticket open for 10 days. They email me once every 24 hours to respond and say "It should work just fine. Something must be wrong on your end." I've given exhaustive details and insisted repeatedly that my Win10 machines simply can't be the problem due to the lack of issues with any other H.265 videos.

They are now asking me to send them video of the error, i.e., iPhone video of me trying to view/edit the faulty H.265 videos. I hope to get that done today but honestly it seems rather ridiculous that I have to video my computer screen so they will believe me.

Well... It's DJI, and considering the numerous bad comments i read about their support, it wouldn't surprise me if this was just a move from them to buy some time with the hope you give up, but let's play their game : use your integrate w10 recorder and try to playback the dji videos so they can see by themselves it doesn't work, then follow up with opening your win settings (while still recording) to show them the hevc codec is installed. This definitely can't be on our end as you and me have several w10 top-notch machines (i have for my part an Asus G752 beast with 32gb memory and custom Evo ssd) up to date which don't play h.265 dji mavic videos ONLY (i can play h.265 videos from other sources just fine, as well as the created h.265 videos from handbrake). Furthermore, let's say that ALL of our machines would have for some obscure and odd reason a problem (which would be like a lot of coïncidences and bad luck, lol), this would still not explain why even a h.265 updated VLC doesn't play those videos. In my opinion, they're perfectly aware of the problem but don't intend to fix it as long they don't get massive complains about it.

From the RC ? I didn't expect the drone to record sound, but i tested the cam in front of me on the table, and i thought this little grid on the RC was a speaker/mic.
As for the card, it's brand new and works perfectly fine in my Osmo Pocket, and i doubt finding a better match as its type (SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB v30) which is what i use in all my devices for photo/video. But i'll make the test with another card just to be sure, even if i think it's not related (why would the sd card be only deficient for 4k/2.7k in h265 ?)
Thank you nevertheless for reacting to the post ! =)
That SD Extreme Pro card is an excellent card! I doubt it's the problem. Is your hard drive fast enough?
Is be interested in the answer.

That SD Extreme Pro card is an excellent card! I doubt it's the problem. Is your hard drive fast enough?
Is be interested in the answer.

Speed is not the issue (Samsung SSD 970 EVO). Problem lies between DJI and MS.

Handbrake could still be decreasing the bitrate when you export in H.265.
I have a GTX 1060 video card. I forgot to change the coded to H264 and now I have H265 videos. My editing software (Hitfilm Express) doesn't support H265 apparently and I was trying to convert the videos using Handbreak to H264 but the quality decreases significantly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a GTX 1060 video card. I forgot to change the coded to H264 and now I have H265 videos. My editing software (Hitfilm Express) doesn't support H265 apparently and I was trying to convert the videos using Handbreak to H264 but the quality decreases significantly. Does anyone have any suggestions?
You shouldn’t have quality issues when using handbrake correctly. You’ll have to dial in your handbrake settings. It will make the files much larger but shouldn’t see a quality difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser