DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 (just confirmed by FCC)

I’m still trying to figure out what will be the selling feature for this one that will make me replace my M2P.
DJI is likely trying to make you replace your Mavic Air (or lesser model). Not sure a lot of people are going to find this is going to be an ideal replacement for their M2P, Inspire, etc.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I think this is intended to replace the MA and fill the wide gap between the MM and the M2 line. The MA has been on the market for a while now and it is kinda getting hard to sell. What I mean by that is this. Imagine you are coming from the MM which gave you 25+ minutes of flight time. You want to upgrade but your choices are between an insanely expensive M2 and a reasonably priced MA that gave you 15 minutes of flight. Both are a hard sell. The MA2 solves this problem and I am thinking it will make the MA obsolete.

That's like asking what would make you replace your Ford F150 with a Hyundai Elantra
You have a point. I know each model has a purpose and distinguishing factors. If I didnt care about size or price and just wanted the best video then I’d go with a Matrice. If price was a bit more of an issue and I still didn’t care much for portability then I’d pick a phantom. But at the Mavic line features start to overlap a bit depending upon when the model came out and price becomes less of an issue because they are much closer together in price.

Ultimately I’d like the smallest drone possible with the best video capability and the longest range-at a reasonable range under about $1500 or so. I’d prefer to have to make as few sacrifices as possible with each of those features.

As long as it hits under $1500 or so it will be considered. Video is usually my next preference but I’ve been tempted away by other bells and whistles. With the Air and Mini it was size. With the Skydio it was obstacle avoidance. But for the most part their range did them in.

If I were a professional photographer only interested in video or pictures I wouldn’t be making these comparisons. I buy drones for more reasons than just video. the video is just about as good as the M2P but has really cool other features it may be worth the jump to me.

Z

DJI is likely trying to make you replace your Mavic Air (or lesser model). Not sure a lot of people are going to find this is going to be an ideal replacement for their M2P, Inspire, etc.
To my last post I agree foe the most part each model has its sweet spot. However, I believe the distinguishing lines are blurred the most between the M2P and the air. They are pretty close in price (relative to the big jump for the Matrice for example), and pretty close in features. In fact at one point the Air has better features than its larger sibling Mavic when the Air came out-like 100mbps. It’s the overlapping features that usually get me. If there are enough features in the Air2 it might trump video quality as long as video quality is close enough.

Z

Very Interesting. Is it true it might not (maybe) have the side sensors? I guess we will all understand a bit more towards the end of April. And I am pretty sure it won't have the DJI Fly software.

Yes and No. It will come in two versions (see pics below) according to this link posted on an other thread that got locked; one with ADS-B and one without. Makes me wonder if the ADS-B capable version will be more expensive.

View attachment 98337
Thanks for sharing and yes I do think that the version with ADS-B will be more expensive. Guess it will not be the only difference between the two models.

Don’t like the controller....miss the screen and it probably has to contain additional electronics for the FAA regulations regarding location and ID data ?‍♂️

Well I can see this will be the dominant bird of interest replacing all the MM fly aways and crashes :)

I’m still trying to figure out what will be the selling feature for this one that will make me replace my M2P.

IMHO the two main drawbacks
of the Mavic Air were that it didn’t Have a 1” sensor and range was crap without Occusync.

On the plus side for the Mavic Air was that it was smaller than the M2P and 100mbps video.

So from the pics it looks like this is bigger than the Mavic Air (but who really knows), and that camera doesn’t look big enough to have a 1” sensor. It’s not going to be lighter than 249g either I doubt. So I’m not sure what it’s going to offer.

It could have better obstacle avoidance, but if it can’t do what the Skydio can do or better then I don’t know if it’s going to be worth it to me. I don’t think simply having 360 degree IR sensors will cut it. I think it would have to mix in optical as well. Ifyou can drive it straight into the woods without crashing it like you can do with the Skydio (for the most part), then I’m going to be tempted.

I bought my Mavic Air because it was smaller than my Mavic 1.

I sold my Mavic Air because of poor range and a smaller sensor than my M2P

I bought my Mavic Mini because it was ultra small and exempt from many regs.

I sold my Mavic Mini because of range and mediocre video quality-and I already had a M2P

I bought my Skydio because of the awesome follow-me capabilities and insane obstacle avoidance.

I sold my Skydio because of range and lack of portability.

I’d this new Mavic can pull the right levers I’ll give it a shot.

Z
My guess it's main selling point will be price. I am pretty sure it will be somewhere between the M2 series and MM. (i.e. $600-$900USD) It lacks some features of the Mavic 2 line, but since it is not striving for the 249g weight, it has many features that the Mini does not have like obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: Zandian
I read one analysis saying that it doesn't have a top sensor. Not sure if that's correct. However, for what it's worth, before I purchased the M2P I wrote DJ technical support. I knew they were probably under orders to not release too much information at the time. However, I told them I was considering buying the M2P but would be perfectly willing to wait for the Mavic Air 2 if I was in danger of buyers remorse. Their response was that I'd be happy with the M2P. Now, its possible that they were motivated to mislead me because DJI would make more money from the M2P buy ($1,500 versus about $900 for the Air 2) and maybe they want to clear out their stock for the coming M3P but somehow, I don't think that was the case though. I did buy the M2P and do not see myself needing more features (although the Automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast feature would be helpful).

Apparently the MA2 has been ready to go for months now, but events stayed DJI. The release date is now around July 8.

I have the MA1, really like it, and expected a new version. Bigger battery may mean longer flight time, but camera is more important to me.

Stay safe...

Reactions: kwolfskill
However, I believe the distinguishing lines are blurred the most between the M2P and the air.
Blurred? I see clear advantages to M2P. I would never own the MA, but that's me.
MA = 1/2" 12mp sensor, 1mi range with WiFi comm, 16min flight time, very noisy
M2P = 1" 20mp sensor, 4mi range with OcuSync2 comm, 23min flight time, less noise

Last edited:
Apparently the MA2 has been ready to go for months now, but events stayed DJI. The release date is now around July 8.

I have the MA1, really like it, and expected a new version. Bigger battery may mean longer flight time, but camera is more important to me.

Stay safe...
I presume @Rayray hasn't seen the April 27 "Up Your Game" announcement.

Reactions: Starz
huh? The mavic air has usb-c. Maybe I bought a mavic air version 1.1.

Thanks for the tip @msinger! Yeah, it is a MA2 alright.

Two things I noticed.

1/ The RC has a USB C port (finally!)

2/ The MA2 comes with a significantly improved battery (3500mAh) compared with the MA (2375mAh) but still operates at the same 11.55V which should mean a lot more flight time.

I presume @Rayray hasn't seen the April 27 "Up Your Game" announcement.

Hey John, Yep, and I should have said ship projected ship date instead of release date. Typical DJI hullabaloo about nothing, "Up Your Game" indeed, sheesh...and the other: (copy)
DJI-delayedrelease.JPGDJI-delayedrelease.JPG

Some potentially new shots in here -- if real (I previously posted no side sensors, I'm assuming the oblong things on the side are vents and not sensors....)

Last edited:
Reactions: razoraerial
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter