DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2, looks great.... so what doesn't it have?

This is an odd minus, how can it have Litchi support yet? It isn't even out!
My 2nd post about this topic clarifies my comment a bit more, in that we are not sure whether litchi will EVER be available, and if it does will it be like the DJI Go4 class of drones since this one uses DJI Fly App for really no good reason other than making things complicated. We get that Fly was for the mini, which is stripped down, but MA2 is not such a thing. The only precedence is the Mavic Mini at it’s already almost 6 months with no SDK in sight.
If eventually mini get supported by litchi with full functions, then I’d be much less worried.

Reactions: webvan
Why than have them both, what is the reasoning for that ?
It's complicated.
Using both can provide slightly faster acquisition, better accuracy in constrained environments and better coverage in polar regions.
But for flying drones, most users aren't going to see any difference in positioning accuracy and performance from what the old GPS only Phantom 2 series had.
Probably the main reason is that most GPS receivers available nowdays use both systems

About my concerns (sensitivity, UE certification and price) , response from a moderator on DJI forum:

" 1) Currently, DJI FLY does not suppot to adjust sensitivity. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. I've transferred your feedback to the product department. Thanks for your advice.

2) Mavic Air 2 does bear CE marking. And it matches the new regulation of EASA. The max transmission distance is 6km under CE standard. Please rest assured to use it in compliance with local regulations. Thank you for your understanding and support.

3) Due to the difference in product supply channels as well as exchange rates and tariffs incurred in different regions, the prices of the products in different regions will vary slightly. You may refer to the price information given on the DJI official website of your current region. "

Why did DJI design this huge Controller and why is it so much bigger? In total drone and Controller have almost the same size as the Mavic Pro.

In my point of view DJI should have called it Mavic medium or something else. It looked different to the Mavic Air, it’s much taller folded. Size matters a lot, the smaller the more often you take it with you (i.e. bike, motorcycle, hiking etc. )

The other specs are great, but it’s not a Mavic Air sequel.

Cheers,
Alexander
Munich

Reactions: Scottalmas
About my concerns (sensitivity, UE certification and price) , response from a moderator on DJI forum:

" 1) Currently, DJI FLY does not suppot to adjust sensitivity. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. I've transferred your feedback to the product department. Thanks for your advice.

2) Mavic Air 2 does bear CE marking. And it matches the new regulation of EASA. The max transmission distance is 6km under CE standard. Please rest assured to use it in compliance with local regulations. Thank you for your understanding and support.

3) Due to the difference in product supply channels as well as exchange rates and tariffs incurred in different regions, the prices of the products in different regions will vary slightly. You may refer to the price information given on the DJI official website of your current region. "
Good info Zeroing, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: geneg
I own 5 drones ranging in size from the Mini to the M2 Zoom and which includes an Anafi in there. I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest and I love the flight time and Occusync in the MA2, but I have been racking my brain to figure out which in my fleet I'd be willing to drop in order to add the MA2 and I just can't find it. Maybe the Mini could go since I have a Spark with actually is better "on the road" than the Mini due to phone and hand control. You would think that the obvious bird the MA2 would replace would be the Air but, for a use perspective, without phone/hand control, it really is of limited use for me. I've already got the M2 Zoom for 30 minute Occusync flights and the size difference between MA2 and M2Z just isn't enough to justify the MA2 since in both cases I am still schlepping around the drone and controller. In fact, so far it looks like the MA2 controller may not accommodate an iPad Mini without some kind of plate adapter so that just become something else to fumble with.

I'm going to need to see phone/hand control in the MA2 before I can justify dropping anything in my current fleet to "upgrade" to this.

I own 5 drones ranging in size from the Mini to the M2 Zoom and which includes an Anafi in there. I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest and I love the flight time and Occusync in the MA2, but I have been racking my brain to figure out which in my fleet I'd be willing to drop in order to add the MA2 and I just can't find it. Maybe the Mini could go since I have a Spark with actually is better "on the road" than the Mini due to phone and hand control. You would think that the obvious bird the MA2 would replace would be the Air but, for a use perspective, without phone/hand control, it really is of limited use for me. I've already got the M2 Zoom for 30 minute Occusync flights and the size difference between MA2 and M2Z just isn't enough to justify the MA2 since in both cases I am still schlepping around the drone and controller. In fact, so far it looks like the MA2 controller may not accommodate an iPad Mini without some kind of plate adapter so that just become something else to fumble with.

I'm going to need to see phone/hand control in the MA2 before I can justify dropping anything in my current fleet to "upgrade" to this.

Can't see how Palm Control or even WiFi control from a phone could make it to the MA2. It's too bad beause the Palm Control on the MA1 was really excellent, more so than on the Spark where it was rather flakey. If only it had more battery life...

There are quite a few things to like about the MA2. That said... Here are some features/differences that folks might prefer on the Air. Here are a few I've noticed right off the top:
  • Size and Weight of the drone: The original Air is slightly smaller and weighs slightly less. The more extra batteries you carry, the heavier it will be... Granted... you are gaining higher end features, longer flight time...but if size and weight are your priority...this is something to think about.
  • No Gesture control: Okay...honestly...who uses gesture control? I don't...but if you do... you would want to know this.
  • No Wifi Phone Control: There is a limited use case for this...but It is still a feature I prefer. It is especially useful for "active track" mode, when I can mount my phone on my bike mount, and don't need the drone to be too far away from me. It is something I rarely use, but it is something I use and would miss on the MA2.
  • No DJI Go4 App Support: There are many tweaks and features available here...that are NOT available on the MA2. Some have speculated that DJI has omitted the use of Go 4 to better differentiate between their mid-tier and higher-tier consumer drones. I'm all for releasing mid-level spec drones for budget conscious consumers, but I'm not sure handicapping the mid-tier equipment makes the best business sense in the long term.
  • Remote Redesign: Larger remote (see size and weight comments above). No physical pause button? Remote does not seem as ergonomically designed as previous remotes...easier to slip through your fingers if you are not careful.

Reactions: bowen159
There are quite a few things to like about the MA2. That said... Here are some features/differences that folks might prefer on the Air. Here are a few I've noticed right off the top:
  • Size and Weight of the drone: The original Air is slightly smaller and weighs slightly less. The more extra batteries you carry, the heavier it will be... Granted... you are gaining higher end features, longer flight time...but if size and weight are your priority...this is something to think about.
  • No Gesture control: Okay...honestly...who uses gesture control? I don't...but if you do... you would want to know this.
  • No Wifi Phone Control: There is a limited use case for this...but It is still a feature I prefer. It is especially useful for "active track" mode, when I can mount my phone on my bike mount, and don't need the drone to be too far away from me. It is something I rarely use, but it is something I use and would miss on the MA2.
  • No DJI Go4 App Support: There are many tweaks and features available here...that are NOT available on the MA2. Some have speculated that DJI has omitted the use of Go 4 to better differentiate between their mid-tier and higher-tier consumer drones. I'm all for releasing mid-level spec drones for budget conscious consumers, but I'm not sure handicapping the mid-tier equipment makes the best business sense in the long term.
  • Remote Redesign: Larger remote (see size and weight comments above). No physical pause button? Remote does not seem as ergonomically designed as previous remotes...easier to slip through your fingers if you are not careful.

Last I checked AT with a phone only was limited to 100 meters, not making very useful. You need the remote to go further...or start AT with "Palm Control"...oddly but what happens is that the "Homepoint" gets updated (unlike with the phone) so you're not limited in the same way.

Last I checked AT with a phone only was limited to 100 meters, not making very useful. You need the remote to go further...or start AT with "Palm Control"...oddly but what happens is that the "Homepoint" gets updated (unlike with the phone) so you're not limited in the same way.

Yeah...like I said, "there is a limited use case for this"... I personally find it useful for active track, but If I was taking a selfie or using other quickshot modes, I would much rather just use my remote.

It's complicated.
Using both can provide slightly faster acquisition, better accuracy in constrained environments and better coverage in polar regions.
But for flying drones, most users aren't going to see any difference in positioning accuracy and performance from what the old GPS only Phantom 2 series had.
Probably the main reason is that most GPS receivers available nowdays use both systems
Both systems have an inaccuracy (watch your phone that draws a circle on the map). Having two systems improves the accuracy and hence make the drone hoovering more stable.

Sorry, but it does not look great at all.
Boring old DJI design and boring color.

The old one gave hope for the design of the new one, but the result is a failure.

Only excuse for this could be, that they had some time-line design or production issues due to Covid-19.

Apart from that it's much more bulky and so is the remote.

I'll stick with the current air. It has the right size, makes wonderful pictures and video all while being less affected by wind than the mini.
There is one more reason to stick to the current Air: it is less than 500 grams and if you want to fly in Europe after Jan.1, an on-line test suffices to fly it. Above 500 grams (i.e. including the Air 2 and Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom) you must do a theory test in a classroom (time and $$$)... I will wait until the first EU "C1" certified drone is released, hopefully a Mavic 3, fingers crossed.

There is one more reason to stick to the current Air: it is less than 500 grams and if you want to fly in Europe after Jan.1, an on-line test suffices to fly it. Above 500 grams (i.e. including the Air 2 and Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom) you must do a theory test in a classroom (time and $$$)... I will wait until the first EU "C1" certified drone is released, hopefully a Mavic 3, fingers crossed.

No the 500 grams only come into play after July 1st 2022 when the open class drones above 250 grams will have to follow the A3 rules.

I have absolutely no idea why they decided it wouldn't work with the Goggles. Neither standard or RE! It does have Ocusync and it will work with the Smart Controller. Seriously, DJI?!

Other than that, I'm still looking to buy this thing. Looks like a great little lightweight drone for field trips, something the Mini could never be for me on account of its shortcomings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt