DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 noncompliance

WimStang

Reactions
Since the Mavic Air 2 will not be updated to include the RID compliance, I will be looking for a new drone. Obviously one that is accepted by the FAA. With that in mind, what would you buy in the $1200 range? Does not have to be a DJI product. Gathering thoughts of others who have been down this road. TIA

I have another similar drone which also will not be updated with RID but instead of looking for FAA dron acceptance, I have decided to purchase an inexpensive RID external module which is FAA-approved and can be rotated amongst several non-RID compliant drones I still own. Come September, there should be plenty of options to choose from.

Reactions: Aairon
Since the Mavic Air 2 will not be updated to include the RID compliance, I will be looking for a new drone. Obviously one that is accepted by the FAA. With that in mind, what would you buy in the $1200 range? Does not have to be a DJI product. Gathering thoughts of others who have been down this road. TIA
Do you have a statement from DJI that there will NOT be a firmware update RID or this you assumption?

Do you have a statement from DJI that there will NOT be a firmware update RID or this you assumption?
Yes I was chatting with them and this is the reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Thank you for your feedback. According to FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the compliance start time for US pilots' RID is September 16, 2023. Prior to this, FAA RID regulations will not affect pilots' flight activities. Afterward, please purchase a third-party RID module (manufacturers will be released by FAA) that complies with RID MOC and install it on the aircraft to comply. Thank you for your kind understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. If there's anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to let us know. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Yoyo
DJI Technical Support
Phone: +1 (818) 235 0789 (Mon-Sun 6:00AM - 6:00PM PST)

This inquiry was specifically regarding the Mavic Air 2.

since you are familiar with the Air2... why not just upgrade to the air 2s. Still a viable drone with excellent photo and video.

I have thought of that, however wanted to explore other options as well. Is there something better? Maybe.
Next step up would probably be a mavic 3 classic, but it's a little more than the 1200.00 range you are wanting to spend at 1600.00-1700.00 depending on controller.
I dont know anything abut the Autel drones, the EVO lite + bundle is around that 1200.00 price range.
You could just get a RID module... but if it were me, I'd go with an air 2s. You can get a new fly more package for 1100.00 and use the batteries you already have for extras.

Yes I was chatting with them and this is the reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Thank you for your feedback. According to FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the compliance start time for US pilots' RID is September 16, 2023. Prior to this, FAA RID regulations will not affect pilots' flight activities. Afterward, please purchase a third-party RID module (manufacturers will be released by FAA) that complies with RID MOC and install it on the aircraft to comply. Thank you for your kind understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. If there's anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to let us know. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Yoyo
DJI Technical Support
Phone: +1 (818) 235 0789 (Mon-Sun 6:00AM - 6:00PM PST)

This inquiry was specifically regarding the Mavic Air 2.
What was the specific question which generated this response? I don't see anything in the response stating that there will not be RID firmware update for the Air 2. It seems to be a generic response about when compliance is required and a standard response if the aircraft is not RID compliant.
The question should be "will the Air 2 be RID compliant in September, yes or no?" If DJI answered that question then you would have confirmation.

What was the specific question which generated this response? I don't see anything in the response stating that there will not be RID firmware update for the Air 2. It seems to be a generic response about when compliance is required and a standard response if the aircraft is not RID compliant.
The question should be "will the Air 2 be RID compliant in September, yes or no?" If DJI answered that question then you would have confirmation.
You are overlooking the fact that all responses from DJI support reps are notoriously unreliable and suspect, and often completely wrong! At best, they can help set up a support ticket, after telling you to send your drone in for evaluation. They have no idea what DJI will and won't do in the future.

Generic, scripted responses are all they are capable of, which are usually completely non-responsive to the question being asked. They mean well, but are mostly clueless.

You are overlooking the fact that all responses from DJI support reps are notoriously unreliable and suspect, and often completely wrong! At best, they can help set up a support ticket, after telling you to send your drone in for evaluation. They have no idea what DJI will and won't do in the future.

Generic, scripted responses are all they are capable of, which are usually completely non-responsive to the question being asked. They mean well, but are mostly clueless.
Definitely not overlooking the unreliable aspects of DJI responses. You are only confirming my response that DJI did NOT provide a statement that RID would NOT be added.
It was the OP (Post #1) which stated that RID would not be available. My claim was that there was no such statement from DJI, as you also confirmed.
It was @WimStang (post #4) who claimed the generic response from DJI was a definitive statement that there would NOT be a RID firmware update.

Reactions: twickers14
As a fellow MA2 flyer am keeping my fingers crossed my craft will be updated with RID. As a matter of interest where would I get a reliable add-on RID and are they easy to fit. Am in the U.K. of course so not sure if it’s coming here but we do visit the US every year and I do fly there.

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
I’d stay away from the Autel lite+. I purchased one from Costco when they had the bundle for $900. No waypoints, won’t track anything other than a slow walking person and often loses that connection. No SDK’s for other software, and the worst customer service. You can read all the horror stories on the Autel Pilot forum. The drone is quality but their firmware has too many issues.

I have a M2P and I am going to wait until the RID compliance date. If my unit has not been upgraded with firmware by then, I will decide what to do at that time. Until then, it is all conjecture. I was told by DJI some time ago, a firmware update was in the works. Do I believe them? Wait and see.

Reactions: Aairon
I would most defiantly get an External R.I.D. Its a no brainer really Think of all the drones that will be dumped simply because of the RID non compliance. Get a cheap drone - Strap a Module to it -and your in. I think my fleet may soon be getting larger!

I would most defiantly get an External R.I.D. Its a no brainer really Think of all the drones that will be dumped simply because of the RID non compliance. Get a cheap drone - Strap a Module to it -and your in. I think my fleet may soon be getting larger!
I disagree. I believe most people will ignore the RID requirement and continue to fly their drone instead of unloading it for cheap on ebay. IMO

Think about it, the people who would buy a non-compliant drone are not the same people trying to unload it because it isn't compliant. The buyers are people who have an external module. Won't take long for sellers to realize the vast majority of buyers are law-abiding, module-owning flyers....and then the price will go right back up to a fair market price.

Definitely not overlooking the unreliable aspects of DJI responses. You are only confirming my response that DJI did NOT provide a statement that RID would NOT be added.
It was the OP (Post #1) which stated that RID would not be available. My claim was that there was no such statement from DJI, as you also confirmed.
It was @WimStang (post #4) who claimed the generic response from DJI was a definitive statement that there would NOT be a RID firmware update.
Actually, I was replying to your assertion,

"The question should be "will the Air 2 be RID compliant in September, yes or no?" If DJI answered that question then you would have confirmation."

DJI support answering your question still wouldn’t provide confirmation of anything. They have no idea what will happen between now and September.

We at least agree that they are notoriously unreliable, no matter what they tell us!

However, DJI has published a list of drones they intend to make compliant. The Air 2 is not on that list. It's up to you to make it compliant, or limit your enjoyment of legal flying of your Air 2 to AMA flying fields after September 16th!

Reactions: CJE and vtcats
Actually, I was replying to your assertion,

"The question should be "will the Air 2 be RID compliant in September, yes or no?" If DJI answered that question then you would have confirmation."

DJI support answering your question still wouldn’t provide confirmation of anything. They have no idea what will happen between now and September.

We at least agree that they are notoriously unreliable, no matter what they tell us!

However, DJI has published a list of drones they intend to make compliant. The Air 2 is not on that list. It's up to you to make it compliant, or limit your enjoyment of legal flying of your Air 2 to AMA flying fields after September 16th!
My response was simply to the OP for the OP to provide the definitive statement from DJI. It was the OP who made the unsubstantiated claim and I was hoping the OP would respond that there was no supporting claim. I wanted to keep it on the topic and statement made by the OP, not expand it into a discussion about DJI RID update policies.
I do believe DJI has a plan and knows that plan, it's just that DJI does not disclose it's plan.
Of course I know all the background information. It's the OP who apparently does not. I suggest you direct your responses to the OP.

Last edited:
Practically speaking, I live in a small community. Law enforcement here has plenty on their plate, as do most communities. Who will enforce the RID requirement? They certainly will not. Will FAA hire thousands of agents to enforce the new rule? I think not. Granted, there are areas of the world where drones are regulated and draconian measures taken. I don't believe the RID requirement will change much for most of us. Life will go on as usual. I am hoping DJI will come through with a solution but am not holding my breath.

My response was simply to the OP for the OP to provide the definitive statement from DJI. It was the OP who made the unsubstantiated claim and I was hoping the OP would respond that there was no supporting claim. I wanted to keep it on the topic and statement made by the OP, not expand it into a discussion about DJI RID update policies.
I do believe DJI has a plan and knows that plan, it's just that DJI does not disclose it's plan.
Of course I know all the background information. It's the OP who apparently does not. I suggest you direct your responses to the OP.
I believe the statement from DJI to purchase a module, when the question presented was “Will DJI make the Mavic Air2 RID compliant to FAA standards” is enough for me to believe it will not be made compliant. Further, DJI has not made the drone in question compliant, why not? They certainly have had more than enough time to do so. I will defer to you in the future for all knowledge regarding this matter though, as you seem to know everything and no one should question your all knowing authority. Thank you, omniscient one, for all your help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147