DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 or Mavic Air Platinum

When you use the bag that comes with the Mavic 2 Fly More Kit, (packed with all the stuff), it's hard to say that it's any bigger than the bag from the Mavic Air Fly more, (packed with all of its stuff). It's a little different shape, but sizewise, it's pretty darn close.
When I told that in another thread, some ma owners claimed that I was smoking something. Lol

If you aren’t exaggerating, you very likely have a defective drone. None of that is normal. I have never had to recalibrate after a landing or changing batteries (maybe you are flying near something magnetic), and the 6 or so seconds it takes to calibrate the compass does not even use 1% battery. As someone else suggested, you should be contacting DJI support. Get it sorted out so you don’t have to deal with that anymore.
thx

When I told that in another thread, some ma owners claimed that I was smoking something. Lol
They're entitled to their opinion, but I have the two of them sitting here in front of me, and the difference is not great.

It was probably me. It's up to you if the size/weight difference is a problem or not, but size, volume, weight, etc. are all very objective mathematical calculations. The MP alone takes up over double the space/volume and weighs about double. The accessories, especially the batteries, are also a lot larger and heavier. At what point is the size/weight not a big deal? 3X? 4X? 10X? That is up to the individual. Anything double the size and double the weight is significant by just about any definition.

Find a bag that perfectly just fits a MA, remote, and 3 batteries and you aren't getting an equivalent MP kit in it - not even close. Some people are OK carrying around that much more size/weight, others are not. MA fits in a pocket, the MP does not. MA fits in a water bottle holder on a backpack - the MP does not. For some people that is a huge deal, so it's nice to have options. Hikers, carry-on travelers, and backpackers are looking at every single gram that goes in their kit. Further to this, some countries laws make it impossible to fly a MP without major headaches and approvals due to it's weight, where the MA is almost completely unregulated in the same country - the size difference is also significant enough for some regulating bodies to be concerned about.

It was probably me. It's up to you if the size/weight difference is a problem or not, but size, volume, weight, etc. are all very objective mathematical calculations. The MP alone takes up over double the space/volume and weighs about double. The accessories, especially the batteries, are also a lot larger and heavier. At what point is the size/weight not a big deal? 3X? 4X? 10X? That is up to the individual. Anything double the size and double the weight is significant by just about any definition.

Find a bag that perfectly just fits a MA, remote, and 3 batteries and you aren't getting an equivalent MP kit in it - not even close. Some people are OK carrying around that much more size/weight, others are not. MA fits in a pocket, the MP does not. MA fits in a water bottle holder on a backpack - the MP does not. For some people that is a huge deal, so it's nice to have options. Hikers, carry-on travelers, and backpackers are looking at every single gram that goes in their kit. Further to this, some countries laws make it impossible to fly a MP without major headaches and approvals due to it's weight, where the MA is almost completely unregulated in the same country - the size difference is also significant enough for some regulating bodies to be concerned about.

OK, I didn't put it on a scale, but I get the every gram counts to hikers and some others too. Just to be perfectly clear though, you keep talking about an MP, and my comparison was an MA to the new M2P. BTW, I love the Mavic Air, but I will be selling it, because I don't need to have two quads. It's hard enough to find good places to fly on days with decent weather for one drone.

OK, I didn't put it on a scale, but I get the every gram counts to hikers and some others too. Just to be perfectly clear though, you keep talking about an MP, and my comparison was an MA to the new M2P. BTW, I love the Mavic Air, but I will be selling it, because I don't need to have two quads. It's hard enough to find good places to fly on days with decent weather for one drone.

Yes my mistake, I meant the MP2 as that is what I did my size/weight calculations with and is also the most relevant drone at the moment. The MP2 is both is larger and heavier than the original MP, widening the gap even further between it and the MA.

I'll be adding a MP2 to my stable in a few months (I want the 1" sensor) when I am confident they have worked out the bugs (I also understand that most people probably have no issues). Winter is coming anyway, so there is little point in me buying one now to let it sit. Between that and the Air, I will have everything covered - they compliment each other very nicely in my opinion. Neither is a substitute for the other, but if I find I use one way more than the other, I'll sell the other one.

Reactions: W2EJ
Yes my mistake, I meant the MP2 as that is what I did my size/weight calculations with and is also the most relevant drone at the moment. The MP2 is both is larger and heavier than the original MP, widening the gap even further between it and the MA.

I'll be adding a MP2 to my stable in a few months (I want the 1" sensor) when I am confident they have worked out the bugs (I also understand that most people probably have no issues). Winter is coming anyway, so there is little point in me buying one now to let it sit. Between that and the Air, I will have everything covered - they compliment each other very nicely in my opinion. Neither is a substitute for the other, but if I find I use one way more than the other, I'll sell the other one.
That's a good plan for deciding to sell or not sell the MA. It really is so nice. The M2 Pro is the one I have, and although I've only had it out once (weather has been crappy), I did get to fly it a lot that day. I have to tell you there wasn't a single problem, it just did everything it was supposed to do. One more thing, I got started with the hobby last winter, and I must say winter has some advantages. Some of the places I flew, I found out later, I wasn't supposed to, like State Parks, but there wasn't anyone around to complain, or tell me not to. Something to consider.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

For those, who usually take their drone to their pockets, you're right.

But if we use bags for carrying our drones (with batteries and accessories), things are totally different. And my measurements show, that fly more DJI bags, have sizes very close one each other.

Anyway, it's easy to measure the size of original DJI bags, and find out that they haven't big difference. Sizes are in common view in DJI store.

lol.. they dont need to update firmware why will they need to upgrade mavic air :))

For those, who usually take their drone to their pockets, you're right.

But if we use bags for carrying our drones (with batteries and accessories), things are totally different. And my measurements show, that fly more DJI bags, have sizes very close one each other.

Anyway, it's easy to measure the size of original DJI bags, and find out that they haven't big difference. Sizes are in common view in DJI store.

Obviously if you use a large bag to carry your stuff and don't care about weight, the size of the drone matters less and less. I could fit an Inspire 2 or Matrice in a large enough bag - that really isn't the point.

Also, weight is as big of a concern as size, if not more. A MP2 and 3 batteries is 1,798g. A MA and 3 batteries is 850g, which is less than the MP2 takeoff weight alone. That is a very significant difference to anyone who cares at all about weight.

The fact remains that the size and weight of the drones is different by a factor of greater than 2, which is very significant. Whether that matters or not is completely up to you, but it is not accurate to categorically state that the size difference between the two isn't much.

Especially with the 1" sensor version, they are very different products at very different price points - it is no surprise there is such a large size/weight difference between the two. If anything they are designed to compliment, rather than replace, each-other. As I said before I plan to own both for this exact reason.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Obviously if you use a large bag to carry your stuff and don't care about weight, the size of the drone matters less and less. I could fit an Inspire 2 or Matrice in a large enough bag - that really isn't the point.

Also, weight is as big of a concern as size, if not more. A MP2 and 3 batteries is 1,798g. A MA and 3 batteries is 850g, which is less than the MP2 takeoff weight alone. That is a very significant difference to anyone who cares at all about weight.

The fact remains that the size and weight of the drones is different by a factor of greater than 2, which is very significant. Whether that matters or not is completely up to you, but it is not accurate to categorically state that the size difference between the two isn't much.

Especially with the 1" sensor version, they are very different products at very different price points - it is no surprise there is such a large size/weight difference between the two. If anything they are designed to compliment, rather than replace, each-other. As I said before I plan to own both for this exact reason.
Not "large bags", just the small bags, DJI is giving with fly more combos. All are VERY small.

I understand that size and weight is important for some drone users, maybe that was the reason they chose to buy Air.

I don't doubt about the weight and size measurements you have made. But the truth is, that Dji's bag for MP, is only 25% bigger than Air's. For M2 number differ a little.
With 3 batteries in the bags, you have 25% bigger bag for a MP, for about 30% more flying time than Air. Fair enough.

Many of us use these bags, and we are not crazy, neither we "smoke something".

And OF COURSE, they are different drones, from the beginning. They have different propulsion system, different batteries, different communication system, different camera and different controller. The term "Mavic" seems to mean just "folding".

each time I turn it on or swap battery or, sometimes I land, and restart from same point I have to compass calibrate it again and again!!!!! loosing like 5-7% of the battery and total flight time reduced..... I'm almost over this device, im just using it to learn basic, then sell it and get the MP2.
This was an issue with early firmware but was fixed with updates. Are you on latest?

I got my MA right at launch but just got rid of it and replaced it with an Anafi. Much better in terms of noise and overall "discreetness" and also a better camera.

Reactions: NAVMAV
This was an issue with early firmware but was fixed with updates. Are you on latest?

I got my MA right at launch but just got rid of it and replaced it with an Anafi. Much better in terms of noise and overall "discreetness" and also a better camera.
maybe w the new firmware something will change...let's see....

thats right! i use the mavic air mainly as an flying action cam for freesking, mountain biking, hiking, climbing ... so the mavic 2 is sadly to heavy for me. ...i think the Mavic Air 2 would be the best selling DJI drone if they would focus a little bit more on action sports/traveling and see it as there "flying Gopro".
Concept: Mavic Air size/design and flying modes + 360° obstacle avoidance, fast build up time (hand start or throwing) Ai driven tracking, better hand gestures (with gloves) and higher fps.

I made a lot of flights with mavic air after lossing two of them over water I look forward for a new version that can float. I saw alredy similar drones that are incorporating this, Lateral eyes for avoinding obstacles also would be welcome as the did in Mavicpro.

I made a lot of flights with mavic air after lossing two of them over water I look forward for a new version that can float. I saw alredy similar drones that are incorporating this, Lateral eyes for avoinding obstacles also would be welcome as the did in Mavicpro.

Could you tell your mavic air losing drones over water stories?
How did that happen?
thankyou

thats right! i use the mavic air mainly as an flying action cam for freesking, mountain biking, hiking, climbing ... so the mavic 2 is sadly to heavy for me. ...i think the Mavic Air 2 would be the best selling DJI drone if they would focus a little bit more on action sports/traveling and see it as there "flying Gopro".
Concept: Mavic Air size/design and flying modes + 360° obstacle avoidance, fast build up time (hand start or throwing) Ai driven tracking, better hand gestures (with gloves) and higher fps.
I'm currently looking to buy a drone to complement my gopro footage, as I would use it mainly while trail running size and weight are really important to me. Not only to I have to carry the drone in a small running backpack and run with it for 5-8 hours, it's also important for legal reason, as I don't wanna pay about 400€ per year for a licence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_