DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 RID firmware update available today

WobblingWillie

Reactions
Firmware v01.01.1600 was released today for the Mavic Air 2. It adds RID to the AC. I have updated mine and the update went fine.

Thanks WobblingWillie.

I checked the FAA data base this morning and didn't see it.

It might take them some time to update the website.

I'll update mine today.

. :)

Reactions: WobblingWillie
I updated my Mavic Air 2 from V01.01.1300 to V01.01.1600 this morning via the DJI Assistant 2 app on my computer. There was an update available for the drone but not for the RCN1. I did not find any information really within the software to indicate it was working. However, I downloaded and installed the free Drone Scanner app from Google Store and it detected my drone hovering about 10 meters from me and included all the information that I could see the FAA wanting. As long as I do not hear that the FAA is stumbling over some detail or other, I am going to consider my drone and compliant.

I updated my Mavic Air 2 from V01.01.1300 to V01.01.1600 this morning via the DJI Assistant 2 app on my computer. There was an update available for the drone but not for the RCN1. I did not find any information really within the software to indicate it was working. However, I downloaded and installed the free Drone Scanner app from Google Store and it detected my drone hovering about 10 meters from me and included all the information that I could see the FAA wanting. As long as I do not hear that the FAA is stumbling over some detail or other, I am going to consider my drone and compliant.
If you click on the 3 dots, top right, and then click "about", you can scroll down and get your RID serial number. From the main Fly screen, click on the top left where it says able to take off and you'll get a dropdown that will tell you if RID is functioning properly. That's the best we can do from our end.

If you click on the 3 dots, top right, and then click "about", you can scroll down and get your RID serial number.

I just updated and it's not showing up in the menu and the drone scanner app doesn't pick it up. 🤔

The FLY app shows it being updated.

I'll tinker with it.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to add something to the FAA GoZone site concerning registration. I see my inventory but don't know how to add the RID number, if I get one from the aircraft update?

Add aircraft and remove the other (same aircraft)?

You're supposed to be able to go to the inventory and click "edit" in the three dot menu, but I don't see it on mine, not sure what I'm missing.

The Mavic Air 2 isn't listed as a compliant drone yet anyway, so DJI will have to submit that paperwork on their end before the FAA accepts this firmware update as compliant. As long as you're up to date and with the RID enforcement delay, I think you're about as compliant as we can get for the time.

Reactions: djwak59
Updated my MA2 firmware, did a successful test flight including seeing my drone on the drone scanner, and updated my information on DroneZone. The FAA website is confusing. At first I wasn't seeing the "edit" option, but then suddenly I did.

I read someplace that the smart controller isn't supported yet for remote ID. Works fine for both my MA2 and A2S. Don't know what they are talking about.

Kudos to DJI for updating and older drone to keep it compliant and holding to the date they said they would meet.

Updated my MA2 firmware, did a successful test flight including seeing my drone on the drone scanner, and updated my information on DroneZone. The FAA website is confusing. At first I wasn't seeing the "edit" option, but then suddenly I did.

I read someplace that the smart controller isn't supported yet for remote ID. Works fine for both my MA2 and A2S. Don't know what they are talking about.

Kudos to DJI for updating and older drone to keep it compliant and holding to the date they said they would meet.
I agree, this was a great move on their part. I had given up and was going to get a module, but this just saved me some money and headache.

You're supposed to be able to go to the inventory and click "edit" in the three dot menu, but I don't see it on mine, not sure what I'm missing.

The Mavic Air 2 isn't listed as a compliant drone yet anyway, so DJI will have to submit that paperwork on their end before the FAA accepts this firmware update as compliant. As long as you're up to date and with the RID enforcement delay, I think you're about as compliant as we can get for the time.
It's under the About tab.

Well, I tried again and everything works! 🥳

Yes, I agree.

The Fly app prompted an update which didn't happen a couple of hours ago when I tried earlier.

Drone has to have the props spinning before it will show up on the Drone Scanner app, less than ten seconds after spin up.

Showed its location and status was grounded.

Now off to the FAA Drone Zone to update.

I updated mine and the FAA Drone Zone accepted the new RID serial number. Yay!
Given the deadline for enforcement has moved, trying to understand why the visit to DroneZone is necessary at this point? Because I see people are having issues with that database. Are we doing it just so we get closer to full compliance?

Given the deadline for enforcement has moved, trying to understand why the visit to DroneZone is necessary at this point? Because I see people are having issues with that database. Are we doing it just so we get closer to full compliance?
The way it's being presented by the FAA is that if you can be compliant at this time, you should be, otherwise you can wait.

The way it's being presented by the FAA is that if you can be compliant at this time, you should be, otherwise you can wait.
I get that but can't you be compliant by just downloading and installing the firmware? Why the visit to DroneZone?

Reactions: djwak59
I see no point in waiting. I pulled the RID serial number off of my controller after the update and applied it at Drone Zone with no issues.
Ok, sounds good. I'm still in a wait-and-see mode, just wondering what others are doing as well.

I get that but can't you be compliant by just downloading and installing the firmware? Why the visit to DroneZone?
You are supposed to include the remote ID serial number with the rest of the registration information.

Technically they could derive it since dji drones seem to get a pre defined prefix and suffix to the aircraft serial number. That may not be true of other drones with built in remote id.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
In my case, the RID serial number is essentially the same as the original MA2 serial number, with the exception of having "1581F" appended in front of the original number string.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas