DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 RID firmware update available today

Update went smooth via DJI Assistant 2. Have my RID serial number and updated on Drone Zone with no issues. A quick flight while monitoring Drone Scanner App shows RID is working. I'm glad it went so smooth. I remember so many people having issues with the previous firmware update for the Air2.

When I first installed the firmware using the controller (rather than DJI Assistant 2), the aircraft firmware upgraded smoothly, but I couldn't see the RID information from the DJI Fly app tethered to the controller.

A few minutes later, a message popped up saying that there was an update for DJI Fly app, so I clicked on the link to update it. Nothing seemed to happen, and I still couldn't see the RID info on the app.

After futzing around with it for while, I decided to uninstall and re-install the DJI Fly app from the DJI website (do NOT use the version in the Google Play Store). After upgrading the DJI Fly app, I could then see the RID information using the app.

So moral of the story is don't believe that the DJI Fly app update is necessarily completing correctly on its own. it worked correctly for me only after I uninstalled it from the Android device, then re-installed it from the DJI Store.

All working correctly now.

Attempted to go into FAA Drone Zone and update my recreational drone registration with the RID number. I can get into setting up a new registration but not find anywhere to access the original recreational registration to edit it. I have the stickers with the FAA recreational registration that they sent me so I know its registered.

Did the firmware updates on my MA2 and the M2EA (from work). Both installed without issue, found both SNs under "About" and updated the registration on Drone-Zone. Both some RID as normal and flew both this morning, both showed up on the Scanner App.

So, I assume I'm all set. Still don't see either listed on the FAA DOC list.

I did the update yesterday on my Mavic Air 2 and it also went perfectly fine. I sent it through the motions and all drone performance was like normal. I updated my DroneZone profile with my RID info. I also confirmed that the unit is transmitting RID info per FAA regs.

Well hot ****, they finally did it. I thought it wasn't possible because the hardware wasn't there and that we were SOL and had to buy a module. I have held off on buying a module this entire time because not one of them seemed affordable or viable without an external power source for the cheaper options and completely kills the look or the drone. Happy to see it, but wonder why it took so long, or if the FAA tweaked what was allowed to be "compliant" allowing DJI to do something with our MA2's.

Well hot ****, they finally did it. I thought it wasn't possible because the hardware wasn't there and that we were SOL and had to buy a module. I have held off on buying a module this entire time because not one of them seemed affordable or viable without an external power source for the cheaper options and completely kills the look or the drone. Happy to see it, but wonder why it took so long, or if the FAA tweaked what was allowed to be "compliant" allowing DJI to do something with our MA2's.
Long story how it went down, probably too complicated to go over the details. With MA2 on the go list, thousands of drones no longer need a module. This has been the plan all summer with the remainder of the DJI legacy drones getting RID by the end of year. I would be shocked if there is any demand left outside of the RC/FPV community.

Reactions: maggior
I was also very pleasantly surprised when I saw that the Mavic Air 2 would get an RID firmware upgrade. As you said, finding a reasonably-priced RID module in stock somewhere as nearly impossible. I installed it yesterday and it works well. Saved a lot of us several hundred dollars.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
I have a question about Remote Identification Technology (RID). Even after installing the update, does it only work in the United States?

So glad I don't have to buy a bulky, expensive and ugly RID module. I probably would have bought a new drone before I had to use one of those modules.

If you click on the 3 dots, top right, and then click "about", you can scroll down and get your RID serial number. From the main Fly screen, click on the top left where it says able to take off and you'll get a dropdown that will tell you if RID is functioning properly. That's the best we can do from our end.
Update for Air 2 was successful but RID serial number not showing?

I had bought an Air 2s because I was under the assumption (according to DJI) the Air 2 was not compatible to make it RID compliment. That the Air 2s was the oldest model that could meet the RiD regulations.
All drones are RID compatible. Some are made RID compliant with standard RID and some are made RID complaint using a broadcast module. It is true at some point the Air 2 was not scheduled to receive a software update to make it RID complaint but that changed on July 1, 2023 when DJI made an announcement. Up until then, I don't believe anyone had officially ruled out any drone model and for sure, there wasn't an age requirement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne