DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 turning problem after firmware update.

Not happy to report they didn’t work :( I appreciate all the help I’m not sure where to go from here.

When you have everything turned on and tilt the drone from side to side without the propellers going, does the camera/gimbal compensate to keep the camera horizontal ?
In your situation the camera would have to be locked and tilt inline with the drone.

Finally have you done a gimbal calibration to reset it ?

1597116718200.png

When you have everything turned on and tilt the drone from side to side without the propellers going, does the camera/gimbal compensate to keep the camera horizontal ?
In your situation the camera would have to be locked and tilt inline with the drone.

Finally have you done a gimbal calibration to reset it ?

View attachment 110221
I did reset it earlier and when I turn it on and move it side to side the gimbal stays horizontal. It’s just when the drone is in flight (not on FPV mode) the camera will stay horizontal but the drone will fly and bank like an airplane would

I did reset it earlier and when I turn it on and move it side to side the gimbal stays horizontal. It’s just when the drone is in flight (not on FPV mode) the camera will stay horizontal but the drone will fly and bank like an airplane would

That's what it does, the drone does bank when it needs to and it can also side slip as well (fly sideways while pointing forward)
At slow speeds it's more of a rotation but at high speed it's a bank, especially when you combine forward movement with a yaw (turn)
The 3 axis gimbal keeps the camera horizontal while the drone banks and moves along it's axis

If your doing extreme maneuvers at speed sometimes the gimbal's mechanical limits won't allow it to compensate for the drone banking etc. so you will get a banked view in the camera.

That's what it does, the drone does bank when it needs to and it can also side slip as well (fly sideways while pointing forward)
At slow speeds it's more of a rotation but at high speed it's a bank, especially when you combine forward movement with a yaw (turn)
The 3 axis gimbal keeps the camera horizontal while the drone banks and moves along it's axis
Is that a recent thing though? Because on my mavic mini it doesn’t do that and on my mavic air 2 it only started doing it today. No matter how fast I flew if I turned it would just spin and not bank. The only time it would fly with banking was when I had on APAS but I don’t use it for that reason.

Is that a recent thing though? Because on my mavic mini it doesn’t do that and on my mavic air 2 it only started doing it today. No matter how fast I flew if I turned it would just spin and not bank. The only time it would fly with banking was when I had on APAS but I don’t use it for that reason.

What your describing relates to your yaw control settings in the advanced gimbal settings, have you played around with them ?
If you make the "yaw rotation speed" 100 then the drone will spin faster in response to the stick input
If you make the "yaw smoothness" 10 or max then the response to stick input will be sensitive, so a slight stick movement will result in a big yaw

You can compare the settings for the different flight modes
  • in Sport everything is set for the fastest response and maximum rotation to the stick input
  • in Normal mode it's a bit slower and there is less rotation
  • In Tripod mode the response is the slowest and the least rotation
I'd do a reset of these settings, which is at the bottom of the menu, hopefully that returns everything to normal

1597118018854.png

What your describing relates to your yaw control settings in the advanced gimbal settings, have you played around with them ?
If you make the "yaw rotation speed" 100 then the drone will spin faster in response to the stick input
If you make the "yaw smoothness" 10 or max then the response to stick input will be sensitive, so a slight stick movement will result in a big yaw

You can compare the settings for the different flight modes
  • in Sport everything is set for the fastest response and maximum rotation to the stick input
  • in Normal mode it's a bit slower and there is less rotation
  • In Tripod mode the response is the slowest and the least rotation
I'd do a reset of these settings, which is at the bottom of the menu, hopefully that returns everything to normal

View attachment 110227
I’m not sure why but for whatever reason the new update is causing the banking. I went through all the settings with no luck. Then I downgraded to the recent firmware and it was fixed 100% then I tried to install the new firmware again to test it and the problem showed up again. I don’t mind staying on the older version for now.

I’m not sure why but for whatever reason the new update is causing the banking. I went through all the settings with no luck. Then I downgraded to the recent firmware and it was fixed 100% then I tried to install the new firmware again to test it and the problem showed up again. I don’t mind staying on the older version for now.
I also wanted to add that I know you had mentioned about speed and when you go faster it will bank but even when going insanely slow when you turn it banks

I’m going to I don’t think they are open yet it said their hours are 9-6 pacific time I live on the east coast but as soon as they do I’ll get in contact. Thank you
I'd be surprised if they are answering any telephones at any time. Only way I could reach anyone when I needed a Refresh was through online Chat. At least it worked!

Reactions: TylerJma

It's really strange no one else is reporting the same issues with the new firmware, maybe when they fly it on the weekend

It's really strange no one else is reporting the same issues with the new firmware, maybe when they fly it on the weekend
Not gonna help, but mine flew perfectly last night with the FW & DJI Fly app updates

Reactions: jlatas
I'd be surprised if they are answering any telephones at any time. Only way I could reach anyone when I needed a Refresh was through online Chat. At least it worked!
They actually talked to me on Twitter and had me screen record what was happening and they sent it to their engineers too see if they could replicate the issue

Mine flew the same as always yesterday, 08-11, even with the latest app and FW updates. I do love the new gimbal and yaw settings.

The new firmware update today had me very excited. Once it was downloaded and installed I got my drone and took it up and the first thing I noticed was when I turned the drone it banked instead of just rotating (which I prefer the regular rotate not the banking) before the update if it did that I would turn off obstacle avoidance and APAS and then it would go back to normal and not turn like that, but it wouldn’t go back to normal after doing the same stuff this time. I tried pretty much all the settings and nothing worked. I’m just wondering if anyone had anything similar? I’m sure there’s a good amount of people who like the banking turn but I’m not one of them and I hope there’s a way to turn it off. Thanks in advance for any help it’s greatly appreciated.

I made a similar post, I couldnt figure out what was different but I knew it didnt feel the same when turning in sports mode flying around the yard. I have also noticed my hover is not as stable, it use to hover in place and not move a millimeter but now it seems way less stable.

Reactions: TylerJma
I made a similar post, I couldnt figure out what was different but I knew it didnt feel the same when turning in sports mode flying around the yard. I have also noticed my hover is not as stable, it use to hover in place and not move a millimeter but now it seems way less stable.
What troubleshooting have you done to confirm the stability issues?

For the two guys now that are having a problem I would just do a firmware refresh this usually starts problems out like this sometimes all of the modules don't update or updated incorrectly when flashing firmware

For the two guys now that are having a problem I would just do a firmware refresh this usually starts problems out like this sometimes all of the modules don't update or updated incorrectly when flashing firmware
I’ve done that a handful of times even since the first update and the newest firmware update 100% brings the problem forward I’ve done a ton of testing

Mine also seems less stable but I have the banking issues, but for me I downgraded to the last update and the problems went away for now but I’m still in contact with DJI they were surprised and sent my video to their engineers

Mine also seems less stable but I have the banking issues, but for me I downgraded to the last update and the problems went away for now but I’m still in contact with DJI they were surprised and sent my video to their engineers

Can you post your video here ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d