DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 vs Air 2S - comparison

NOTE: This is based on my experience and knowledge, it might not coincide with mine, if it doesn't, leave a comment telling what you agree/disagree with. Thanks!

My experience with both drones:

I'm flying the Mavic Air 2 since August 2021, my friend is flying the Air 2S since (more or less) the time. We fly together every weekend, and like to share experiences. Sometimes I fly his drone and he flies mine, it is fun to fly drones with friends!
But the reason I'm writing this is to say that I have used both the Mavic Air 2, and the Air 2S, have enough experience with both.
Here is what I think about these amazing drones!

The good stuff: The price for this drone is pretty good ($800 standard; $1000 fly more combo), I have the fly more combo, and I recommend buying the combo with any drone, it is worth the extra money for sure! The carrying bag that comes with this drone (fly-more kit only) is very good, in my opinion even better than the new Mavic 3 style bag. The drone itself comes with a lot of great features, including Active Track, 4K 60FPS recording, HDR Video (my favorite feature for videos during golden hour) and 48MP (Quad-Bayer, not true 48MP) photos (6000×4000 px!). Panoramas are great too! For the money, the best deal! My favorite feature is FocusTrack, especially the POI mode! Also, it isn't as loud as the Air 2S!

What I don't like: Bypass mode is jerky, the same bug as in Mavic 3 (as I write this it is not fixed yet), I fly in Brake mode to avoid the issue, not a major thing. The sensor is a half-inch, good enough for me, but not as good as in the Air 2S (1-inch sensor). Obstacle avoidance on the Air 2 isn't perfect when the surface/obstacle is reflective, transparent, or narrow (such as trees without leaves). Uses DJI Fly app, no Go4 support, not good. Doesn't have real waypoints, even with Litchi it is still simulated waypoints (virtual sticks) and it is jerky in waypoints mode. At night the video looks horrible because of the small sensor, but you can get good long exposure photos, even in auto Smart mode, it's fine, that's not the case with video.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! If it is your first drone, or you're looking to upgrade from a mini, it is a good option, however, if you own an Air 2S or Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 3, of course you don't need this drone.

Air 2S:​

The good stuff: The price for this one is a little higher compared to the Air 2, but still pretty good ($1000 standard, $1200 fly more combo). It comes with a big 1-inch sensor, D-LOG support, Smart Photo, Slo-mo, but doesn't have HDR mode, which I personally use a lot. Bypass mode actually works on the Air 2S, and it is pretty great. The drone also goes up and down much faster compared to the Air 2. It handles great in wind, same as Air 2 or maybe a little better even! ActiveTrack seems better/worse depending on the environment when testing and comparing to Air 2.

What I don't like: No HDR mode, that's a dealbreaker for me, I know that similar performance might be achieved with D-Log and heavy color grading, but HDR mode is so much easier. Also, the Air 2S is very loud, especially in sport mode! It can be heard from very far away, good for locating it, bad because other people get disturbed and annoyed by the sound, I got approached multiple times by angry people while I was flying the drone (the Air 2) and they said that they don't want that sound around them, and I wasn't even flying the Air 2S, I could imagine how it would be if I had been flying the Air 2S at that time. ActiveTrack works well in some environments, but it doesn't in others, for example in a forest we tried to fly the Air 2 and the Air 2S in active track through the same path, both in bypass mode, and the Air 2S crashed 1 time, and another time it came close to crashing, but produced more cinematic footage compared to the Air 2, which was flying more slowly and taking less risks, but producing less cinematic footage.

Would I recommend it? Yes, for most people. As a first drone it is good, but a little expensive. But I don't think it is worth to upgrade from Air 2 to Air 2S, as you are downgrading in some specs, actually.

Conclusion:​

Both drones are good! However, I don't think that the extra $250 you pay for the Air 2S is worth it, you get the same drone with better camera and obstacle avoidance, do you want to spend additional money only for best footage? Go for it, some people will do that, and that's great. But I'm totally happy with my Air 2, and I actually like more how it flies compared to the Air 2S. In my opinion, learn the specs of both, their strengths and weaknesses and choose which one you think fits you the most.

I want to hear your opinion!​

If you own the Air 2 or/and the Air 2S, I would like to know your opinion about it, which is better for you, and do you think that the extra $250 is worth it.

Thanks for reading :)

Great report! I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a EVO 2 Pro but I found a good deal with the Air 2 Fly More Combo at $800. Do you know if the range (that's what I'm looking) of the Air 2 is better than the Mavic 2 Pro? Again, great article. You should publish in a magazine.

Reactions: Yaros
Great report! I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a EVO 2 Pro but I found a good deal with the Air 2 Fly More Combo at $800. Do you know if the range (that's what I'm looking) of the Air 2 is better than the Mavic 2 Pro? Again, great article. You should publish in a magazine.
Air 2 only has a 1/2” sensor and is no match for either the M2P or E2P on any level. It's max speed in N mode is only 27mph which lowers it range significantly when the flight time is factored in, compared to the other aircraft. Why did you buy it?

Air 2 only has a 1/2” sensor and is no match for either the M2P or E2P on any level. It's max speed in N mode is only 27mph which lowers it range significantly when the flight time is factored in, compared to the other aircraft. Why did you buy it?
I bought the Air2 for price/performance; and the FMK had the Smart Controller included. The S didn't have that kit, and isn't OS2, so the older SC isn't really compatible (and was having problems with the S back when I made my purchase.

Today - if I had it to do again - I'd buy the FMK with the Air2S with RC Pro.

Reactions: ackdrone
I bought the Air2 for price/performance; and the FMK had the Smart Controller included. The S didn't have that kit, and isn't OS2, so the older SC isn't really compatible (and was having problems with the S back when I made my purchase.

Today - if I had it to do again - I'd buy the FMK with the Air2S with RC Pro.
SC was a good first attempt at the RC-Pro. Hindsight is always 20-20. The Air2S Combo Kit with the new RC-Pro deal was too good to be true, but turned out to be the real deal, despite rumors that it was a deliberately crippled RC-Pro that could never be used with the Mavic 3. It can and now does work with both aircraft.

SC was a good first attempt at the RC-Pro. Hindsight is always 20-20. The Air2S Combo Kit with the new RC-Pro deal was too good to be true, but turned out to be the real deal, despite rumors that it was a deliberately crippled RC-Pro that could never be used with the Mavic 3. It can and now does work with both aircraft.
I’m used to the regular controller with a 10.2” iPad. Would I be satisfied with the smaller screen size?

I’m used to the regular controller with a 10.2” iPad. Would I be satisfied with the smaller screen size?
Depends. It is Android rather than iOS, so there are some differences there, too. I'm also used to a full sized 8.9” iPad myself, on all my other drones. I've gotten used to it, and appreciate the 4x more powerful signal, extra scroll wheel, and 5 way button, and the compact portability, with no set up time, except for Hot Spotting to my iPhone. I still have the RC-N1 for my iPad as an option, for close by flying where I want the larger screen, and no heart attack beeping at 15% battery (I have muffled the RC-N1 transducer so it mews like a kitten, instead of screaming like an alley cat!). Screen real estate on the RC-Pro is much larger than a 5.5” phone because the diagonal measurement is on more of a rectangular shape than a thinner phone. It also works with the Air 2S.

Depends. It is Android rather than iOS, so there are some differences there, too. I'm also used to a full sized 8.9” iPad myself, on all my other drones. I've gotten used to it, and appreciate the 4x more powerful signal, extra scroll wheel, and 5 way button, and the compact portability, with no set up time, except for Hot Spotting to my iPhone. I still have the RC-N1 for my iPad as an option, for close by flying where I want the larger screen, and no heart attack beeping at 15% battery (I have muffled the RC-N1 transducer so it mews like a kitten, instead of screaming like an alley cat!). Screen real estate on the RC-Pro is much larger than a 5.5” phone because the diagonal measurement is on more of a rectangular shape than a thinner phone. It also works with the Air 2S.
Thanks GadgetGuy. Good information.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

I'm not a photography enthusiasm, just like flying and admire the view. The reason I bought it, is the portability. I wanted a smaller AC with tracking capabilities and longer range. So far, I'm getting a better range than the M2P and the E2P. To be complete hones, I like toys... We men never grow in that kind of issue... LOL

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm not a photography enthusiasm, just like flying and admire the view. The reason I bought it, is the portability. I wanted a smaller AC with tracking capabilities and longer range. So far, I'm getting a better range than the M2P and the E2P. To be complete hones, I like toys... We men never grow in that kind of issue... LOL
Whatever works best for you. Thumbswayup

IMHO - no, the small screen is a pain. A 7 or 8 inch display is really the minimum usable size - DJI makes the icons too small for a 5 inch screen ... unless of course you have a 15 year old's vision.

Reactions: WimStang
IMHO - no, the small screen is a pain. A 7 or 8 inch display is really the minimum usable size - DJI makes the icons too small for a 5 inch screen ... unless of course you have a 15 year old's vision.
A good pair of reading glasses will give anyone a 15 year old's vision. Works for me!

A good pair of reading glasses will give anyone a 15 year old's vision. Works for me!
The issue is near vs far vision. Bi-focals might work, but the constant switching between screen and sky gets old fast.

I use reader sunglasses. They're a little annoying but otherwise I can't see the screen. Getting old sucks.

image.jpg

The issue is near vs far vision. Bi-focals might work, but the constant switching between screen and sky gets old fast.
Indeed. I already wear trifocals for drone flying and reading, so everything is sharp: near and far, and in between! You get used to it pretty quickly. Got to be able to see the drone, too!

Indeed. I already wear trifocals for drone flying and reading, so everything is sharp: near and far, and in between! You get used to it pretty quickly. Got to be able to see the drone, too!
I use trifocals too and even though my vision is not 20/20 after correction. Time is relentless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas