DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaros

Reactions

Mavic Air 2 vs Air 2S - comparison

NOTE: This is based on my experience and knowledge, it might not coincide with mine, if it doesn't, leave a comment telling what you agree/disagree with. Thanks!

My experience with both drones:

I'm flying the Mavic Air 2 since August 2021, my friend is flying the Air 2S since (more or less) the time. We fly together every weekend, and like to share experiences. Sometimes I fly his drone and he flies mine, it is fun to fly drones with friends!
But the reason I'm writing this is to say that I have used both the Mavic Air 2, and the Air 2S, have enough experience with both.
Here is what I think about these amazing drones!

The good stuff: The price for this drone is pretty good ($800 standard; $1000 fly more combo), I have the fly more combo, and I recommend buying the combo with any drone, it is worth the extra money for sure! The carrying bag that comes with this drone (fly-more kit only) is very good, in my opinion even better than the new Mavic 3 style bag. The drone itself comes with a lot of great features, including Active Track, 4K 60FPS recording, HDR Video (my favorite feature for videos during golden hour) and 48MP (Quad-Bayer, not true 48MP) photos (6000×4000 px!). Panoramas are great too! For the money, the best deal! My favorite feature is FocusTrack, especially the POI mode! Also, it isn't as loud as the Air 2S!

What I don't like: Bypass mode is jerky, the same bug as in Mavic 3 (as I write this it is not fixed yet), I fly in Brake mode to avoid the issue, not a major thing. The sensor is a half-inch, good enough for me, but not as good as in the Air 2S (1-inch sensor). Obstacle avoidance on the Air 2 isn't perfect when the surface/obstacle is reflective, transparent, or narrow (such as trees without leaves). Uses DJI Fly app, no Go4 support, not good. Doesn't have real waypoints, even with Litchi it is still simulated waypoints (virtual sticks) and it is jerky in waypoints mode. At night the video looks horrible because of the small sensor, but you can get good long exposure photos, even in auto Smart mode, it's fine, that's not the case with video.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! If it is your first drone, or you're looking to upgrade from a mini, it is a good option, however, if you own an Air 2S or Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 3, of course you don't need this drone.

Air 2S:​

The good stuff: The price for this one is a little higher compared to the Air 2, but still pretty good ($1000 standard, $1200 fly more combo). It comes with a big 1-inch sensor, D-LOG support, Smart Photo, Slo-mo, but doesn't have HDR mode, which I personally use a lot. Bypass mode actually works on the Air 2S, and it is pretty great. The drone also goes up and down much faster compared to the Air 2. It handles great in wind, same as Air 2 or maybe a little better even! ActiveTrack seems better/worse depending on the environment when testing and comparing to Air 2.

What I don't like: No HDR mode, that's a dealbreaker for me, I know that similar performance might be achieved with D-Log and heavy color grading, but HDR mode is so much easier. Also, the Air 2S is very loud, especially in sport mode! It can be heard from very far away, good for locating it, bad because other people get disturbed and annoyed by the sound, I got approached multiple times by angry people while I was flying the drone (the Air 2) and they said that they don't want that sound around them, and I wasn't even flying the Air 2S, I could imagine how it would be if I had been flying the Air 2S at that time. ActiveTrack works well in some environments, but it doesn't in others, for example in a forest we tried to fly the Air 2 and the Air 2S in active track through the same path, both in bypass mode, and the Air 2S crashed 1 time, and another time it came close to crashing, but produced more cinematic footage compared to the Air 2, which was flying more slowly and taking less risks, but producing less cinematic footage.

Would I recommend it? Yes, for most people. As a first drone it is good, but a little expensive. But I don't think it is worth to upgrade from Air 2 to Air 2S, as you are downgrading in some specs, actually.

Conclusion:​

Both drones are good! However, I don't think that the extra $250 you pay for the Air 2S is worth it, you get the same drone with better camera and obstacle avoidance, do you want to spend additional money only for best footage? Go for it, some people will do that, and that's great. But I'm totally happy with my Air 2, and I actually like more how it flies compared to the Air 2S. In my opinion, learn the specs of both, their strengths and weaknesses and choose which one you think fits you the most.

I want to hear your opinion!​

If you own the Air 2 or/and the Air 2S, I would like to know your opinion about it, which is better for you, and do you think that the extra $250 is worth it.

Thanks for reading :)

Not sure where/how people say the Air2 bypass mode is jerky. Works very well for me. The only places I've seen any hesitation are places I'd have to sit down and think about the best way around the obstacle myself: places where there are more than one optional route to take: up and over or around to a side. Seems once up and over is chosen and the drone moves forward it can decide to now go around. I see this as an AI limitation, not a fault. After all, when I am climbing or navigating unknown paths, I often change my mind, too.

My only "complaint" with the Air2 is low light imagery. But I knew this limitation going in when I bought the Air2 FM with SC. Today, now that the Air2s has a combo with the SC Pro for a reasonable price, I'd probably go that route.

Reactions: mereflyer and Yaros
I appreciate your write up. I've upgraded from the Air 2 to the Air 2S. For people new to these it is a little unfair because a lot of your pros and cons related to both drones equally (such as what app they use).

The real differences spec-wise between them boil down to, better camera in the, better obstacle sensing, addition of Mastershots, O3 and better range for the 2S and slightly better battery life for the Air 2.

A couple of things you noted HDR and Noise.

The Air 2 has fake HDR. It is good for people who don't want to touch the output at all, and what to take it out of the camera and have it look decent. I enjoyed that - made it easy to get stuff "good enough". The Air 2S might require a bit more work at times, but the end result would be better if you wanted to do that. HLG can be used for a true HDR format if that was important (and probably easier to make look good quickly than the D-Log you mentioned). Really is personal preference, do you want a point and shoot to get good results, or something that requires a little more work to get great results. Everyone has their own preferences there.

A few other things from me compared to you notes:

-I didn't notice my Air 2 being jerky in Bypass mode, but I hardly ever was in that situation as I generally fly myself and try not to fly into things. I could see someone using active track more than I do would run into this more.

-I don't notice a big sound difference. Again, never flew them back to back, but my impressions are they are really close in sound. Maybe the 2S is a tiny bit louder (it is a tiny bit heavier), but if it is louder it is not in any meaningful way that impacts what I do.

In any event, at first I chose not to upgrade from the Air to the Air 2S, because as noted, the improvements are mainly around photo/video at the high end, since the Air 2 was pretty good to start with. However, one thing pushed me to upgrade and that is the RC-Pro. The RC_Pro is excellent and I prefer flying with the 2S and RC Pro very much over the Air 2 and the Smart Controller or standard controller. If you aren't interested in the RC-Pro, I could see the value of the Air being a good advantage. If you are willing or wanting to spend more for the controller, its a great package.

Reactions: dmiles119
I bought the bargain Air 2 combo for 800 bucks. That's a savings of about $500 over the 2S combo. I am an amateur, with experience of the Mini, for a few years, and rarely share and never market my images/video. I am well versed in the use of cameras, mostly Canon platforms, however this is a little different animal. My advice is to evaluate your true needs before making the decision.

I love flying drones and actually have flown the 2S. In flight I could see, nor feel much difference. For me, the camera difference was slight, as I am flying on mostly day situations, and not low light. I was able to get some excellent footage with HDR, toward sunset, with the Air 2, but must admit, my friends 2S did a better job in low light. As an amateur, my opinion is not based on high tech specs or what you do to modify your footage, after the shoot...it is based on the simple thrill I get from flying and watching the footage unfold, to a set of older eyes, that still appreciates the beauty our world holds. YMMV

Last edited:
Drone photography and videography is all about the camera. Image is everything. The Air 2S sensor is a significant upgrade to the Air 2. The Mavic 3 dual camera is an even better camera upgrade to both the Air 2S and even the Mavic 2 Pro. Every upgrade I have made since the P3P been based upon the camera improvement and portability. The camera rules! The drone is merely a maneuverable tripod in the sky.

I fly my Air 2 with Master Air Screw props and have no problem with noise and the video and pictures are great. Sometimes I chase barges over the Ohio river and fly along the shores to video people fishing and at 100ft. up you can't hear the drone overhead.

Mavic Air 2 vs Air 2S - comparison

NOTE: This is based on my experience and knowledge, it might not coincide with mine, if it doesn't, leave a comment telling what you agree/disagree with. Thanks!

My experience with both drones:

I'm flying the Mavic Air 2 since August 2021, my friend is flying the Air 2S since (more or less) the time. We fly together every weekend, and like to share experiences. Sometimes I fly his drone and he flies mine, it is fun to fly drones with friends!
But the reason I'm writing this is to say that I have used both the Mavic Air 2, and the Air 2S, have enough experience with both.
Here is what I think about these amazing drones!

The good stuff: The price for this drone is pretty good ($800 standard; $1000 fly more combo), I have the fly more combo, and I recommend buying the combo with any drone, it is worth the extra money for sure! The carrying bag that comes with this drone (fly-more kit only) is very good, in my opinion even better than the new Mavic 3 style bag. The drone itself comes with a lot of great features, including Active Track, 4K 60FPS recording, HDR Video (my favorite feature for videos during golden hour) and 48MP (Quad-Bayer, not true 48MP) photos (6000×4000 px!). Panoramas are great too! For the money, the best deal! My favorite feature is FocusTrack, especially the POI mode! Also, it isn't as loud as the Air 2S!

What I don't like: Bypass mode is jerky, the same bug as in Mavic 3 (as I write this it is not fixed yet), I fly in Brake mode to avoid the issue, not a major thing. The sensor is a half-inch, good enough for me, but not as good as in the Air 2S (1-inch sensor). Obstacle avoidance on the Air 2 isn't perfect when the surface/obstacle is reflective, transparent, or narrow (such as trees without leaves). Uses DJI Fly app, no Go4 support, not good. Doesn't have real waypoints, even with Litchi it is still simulated waypoints (virtual sticks) and it is jerky in waypoints mode. At night the video looks horrible because of the small sensor, but you can get good long exposure photos, even in auto Smart mode, it's fine, that's not the case with video.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! If it is your first drone, or you're looking to upgrade from a mini, it is a good option, however, if you own an Air 2S or Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 3, of course you don't need this drone.

Air 2S:​

The good stuff: The price for this one is a little higher compared to the Air 2, but still pretty good ($1000 standard, $1200 fly more combo). It comes with a big 1-inch sensor, D-LOG support, Smart Photo, Slo-mo, but doesn't have HDR mode, which I personally use a lot. Bypass mode actually works on the Air 2S, and it is pretty great. The drone also goes up and down much faster compared to the Air 2. It handles great in wind, same as Air 2 or maybe a little better even! ActiveTrack seems better/worse depending on the environment when testing and comparing to Air 2.

What I don't like: No HDR mode, that's a dealbreaker for me, I know that similar performance might be achieved with D-Log and heavy color grading, but HDR mode is so much easier. Also, the Air 2S is very loud, especially in sport mode! It can be heard from very far away, good for locating it, bad because other people get disturbed and annoyed by the sound, I got approached multiple times by angry people while I was flying the drone (the Air 2) and they said that they don't want that sound around them, and I wasn't even flying the Air 2S, I could imagine how it would be if I had been flying the Air 2S at that time. ActiveTrack works well in some environments, but it doesn't in others, for example in a forest we tried to fly the Air 2 and the Air 2S in active track through the same path, both in bypass mode, and the Air 2S crashed 1 time, and another time it came close to crashing, but produced more cinematic footage compared to the Air 2, which was flying more slowly and taking less risks, but producing less cinematic footage.

Would I recommend it? Yes, for most people. As a first drone it is good, but a little expensive. But I don't think it is worth to upgrade from Air 2 to Air 2S, as you are downgrading in some specs, actually.

Conclusion:​

Both drones are good! However, I don't think that the extra $250 you pay for the Air 2S is worth it, you get the same drone with better camera and obstacle avoidance, do you want to spend additional money only for best footage? Go for it, some people will do that, and that's great. But I'm totally happy with my Air 2, and I actually like more how it flies compared to the Air 2S. In my opinion, learn the specs of both, their strengths and weaknesses and choose which one you think fits you the most.

I want to hear your opinion!​

If you own the Air 2 or/and the Air 2S, I would like to know your opinion about it, which is better for you, and do you think that the extra $250 is worth it.

Thanks for reading :)
I bought an Air 2 FMC in May 2020 and use it for excellent still photography, video and inspections around the roof of my 2-storey home (when gutters need cleaning!). The 2S arrived to much fanfare and FPV mode and low light image capture seemed to be the big features. But after two very reliable years with the Air 2, there is absolutely nothing really significant for me to gain by swapping over. Plus I detest watching FPV footage! It is for the boy racers. 😉 Now the DJI Matrice RTK series is something else and in a completely different world ……. 🤑 😱 💥 We have priced one for work. 👍 😎 🇳🇿 Big buckaroos 💰💰💰

• Love
Reactions: mereflyer and Yaros
What are/were the production dates for the Air 2 and Air 2s? What about the sort of upward facing sensors on the 2s?
For a new purchase which is a better choice?
Just checked, Amazon has the Air 2 FlyMore combo at $789 for immediate shipment. That seems like an excellent deal for a first time purchase.

What are/were the production dates for the Air 2 and Air 2s? What about the sort of upward facing sensors on the 2s?
The Air 2 was released in April 2020, the Air 2S was released somewhere in spring of 2021.
The bottom sensors aren't a dealbreaker for me, but it depends on the situation and flying environment.
For a new purchase which is a better choice?
If you have money, go for Air 2S. Better camera, obstacle avoidance, and other features like mastershots.
Amazon has the Air 2 FlyMore combo at $789 for immediate shipment. That seems like an excellent deal for a first time purchase.
That's a great deal! Air 2 is also a great drone!

Look more comparisons on YouTube and Google, and decide what drone exactly fits you the most.

The Air 2 was released in April 2020, the Air 2S was released somewhere in spring of 2021.
The bottom sensors aren't a dealbreaker for me, but it depends on the situation and flying environment.

If you have money, go for Air 2S. Better camera, obstacle avoidance, and other features like mastershots.

That's a great deal! Air 2 is also a great drone!

Look more comparisons on YouTube and Google, and decide what drone exactly fits you the most.
I have the Air 2s since January 2022. One of the reasons was that it was a newer drone and, without a big Air 2 discount, the price wasn't so much different. Upgrading from a Spark which had some technical issues it made sense to go with the 2s. It was a great choice to go with the more recent technology for a new drone of this class.

• Love
Reactions: Yaros
I fly my Air 2 with Master Air Screw props and have no problem with noise and the video and pictures are great. Sometimes I chase barges over the Ohio river and fly along the shores to video people fishing and at 100ft. up you can't hear the drone overhead.
Are these props really quieter! They claim they are in the Amazon blurb. Might try a set. Favoured colour??

Reactions: Yaros
I have both the Air 2 and the Air 2s. Also the Mini 2. For me the Air 2s is hands down the best. The O3 Occusyn alone is worth the price. I agree the Air 2s does ascend and descend much quicker than the Air 2. I also find the the Air 2s just maneuvers crisper and flies more precisely. And of course the 1 inch sensor speaks for itself.
I will always keep my Air 2 because it is a good bird. For a time it was the only drone that supported Litchi. They are both great drones. It's like trying to choose which of your children you love more.

Oh, and the Mini 2 is just a blast. They all have their place.

I find the same result. My Master Air Screws are quieter or at least much less noticeable.

Are these props really quieter! They claim they are in the Amazon blurb. Might try a set. Favoured colour??
In my testing in my garage, the MAS props caused shorter hover times and indistinguishable noise amplitude differences (changed the tone, not the level). Actually reducing flight time by a full minute over the stock props.

In my testing in my garage, the MAS props caused shorter hover times and indistinguishable noise amplitude differences (changed the tone, not the level). Actually reducing flight time by a full minute over the stock props.
Interesting. The 51 DRONES guy did the same test with slightly better results from the MAS props. Almost too small of a difference to mention. I imagine there are too many variables like the individual battery, atmospheric density, altitude or something.

Interesting. The 51 DRONES guy did the same test with slightly better results from the MAS props. Almost too small of a difference to mention. I imagine there are too many variables like the individual battery, atmospheric density, altitude or something.
Just watched his video, and he says at the end there is no difference in noise, flight time, battery use. Add that he did the tests outdoors and in an uncontrolled environment -- not conducive to measurable results.

Reactions: twickers14
eEridani was you flying the Air 2 or Air 2s The reason I ask is A2s has smaller props

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR