DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 vs Phantom 3 Pro

Brutha

Reactions
Hi All,

I've had a phantom 3 pro for about 4 years now, and have been very happy with it.... but it's a big thing to lug around with all the bits I need to fly it!

So, I'm thinking of getting a Mavic Air 2 to replace it - I can't see much in the way of downsides, and some nice upsides (4k60, H265 and 48mp pics).

But has anyone found any downsides? I am wondering about range (since I guess it will be a bit less), and the quality of the stabilised video (it being a smaller drone), but also in terms of manual camera control (as an aside, can I use AEB with the 48mp photos?).

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Brutha

Reactions: old man mavic
welcome to the forum
as far as range is concerned the occusync 2 is far superior to the WIFI of the phantom its not just range alone that is better but signal stability, and as you will discover portability is amazing

Reactions: MA2 317
as far as range is concerned the occusync 2 is far superior to the WIFI of the phantom

Thanks! Although, the Phantom has Lightbridge - but reading about it now, it looks like occusync should be at least as good. So, nothing to worry about there!

Cheers

Reactions: old man mavic
yes they are constantly improving the transmittion/receiver tech from lightbridge,to occusync 1 and now occusync 2

Hi All,

I've had a phantom 3 pro for about 4 years now, and have been very happy with it.... but it's a big thing to lug around with all the bits I need to fly it!

So, I'm thinking of getting a Mavic Air 2 to replace it - I can't see much in the way of downsides, and some nice upsides (4k60, H265 and 48mp pics).

But has anyone found any downsides? I am wondering about range (since I guess it will be a bit less), and the quality of the stabilised video (it being a smaller drone), but also in terms of manual camera control (as an aside, can I use AEB with the 48mp photos?).

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Brutha
I'm coming from a Phantom 4 Pro and the range on the MA2 is better in the same locations. The stabilization of the video on the MA2 is great (no issues at at) in fact on my Phantom I would get a tilted horizon quite often, haven't had that once with the MA2.

The thing with my Phantom was it wasn't convenient just to take with me and I would plan my outings around it instead of the other way around. With my MA2 I basically take it with me anytime I'm going out.

I'm coming from a Phantom 4 Pro and the range on the MA2 is better in the same locations. The stabilization of the video on the MA2 is great (no issues at at) in fact on my Phantom I would get a tilted horizon quite often, haven't had that once with the MA2.

The thing with my Phantom was it wasn't convenient just to take with me and I would plan my outings around it instead of the other way around. With my MA2 I basically take it with me anytime I'm going out.

Thanks - have ordered the drone!

Reactions: Tentoes
If I recall correctly 48MP can’t be used for AEB.

Thanks - yes, I did see that. I'm actually not *too* worried about that, although I won't complain if they allow it later!

I tend to view the panoramas in a VR headset, and I normally need to reduce the resolution anyway. So as long as I can get similar AEB bracketed photos to those on the Phantom, that will be fine.

Thanks - yes, I did see that. I'm actually not *too* worried about that, although I won't complain if they allow it later!

I tend to view the panoramas in a VR headset, and I normally need to reduce the resolution anyway. So as long as I can get similar AEB bracketed photos to those on the Phantom, that will be fine.
Practically speaking the 48mp sensor readout is marginal even at proper exposure, so I imagine if you have a -1.4EV lower AEB, it'd be actually so noisy its useless.

better stick to 12MP.

Reactions: Brutha
I've been down that road myself, not so directly though, P3P, Mavic Pro, Mavic Mini, and now a Mavic Air 2. I can confirm that there are no downsides. The Air 2 is a remarkable drone, if you're used to the P3P, you'll be thinking mmm, battery must be getting low, having a look at the screen, and thinking wow, still 60%..

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
if you're used to the P3P, you'll be thinking mmm, battery must be getting low, having a look at the screen, and thinking wow, still 60%..

I started with the Spark and it only has a flight time of about 14 minutes.

I had the same thoughts as you at first when flying the MA2, "Well, guess I'll bring it home...Hokey smokes look how much battery I have left!" ?

Reactions: Tentoes
I see you've already ordered, so my reply won't be that helpful, but to make you feel better, I went from a P3A to the Air 2( with the Air 1 in between), and the Air 2 is better in just about every way.

The Phantoms have some more configurable items that aren't super important, such as battery discharge days (fixed and not changeable on the Air 2), but I got used to all of those thing quickly. I think the one real benefit that I miss (a little) is the ability to put the drone in Atti mode. I definitely appreciated being able to hone my skills in Atti mode with the Phantom, and now, if the Air 2 every goes into Atti mode, it is simply due to conditions, and you aren't able to "practice" with it, which concerns me if it happens unexpectedly.

Otherwise, The Air 2 wins, it's smaller, lighter, flies better, longer, farther, has more safety features and avoidance sensors, more autonomous modes, etc....

Hi All,

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Brutha
I came from the Phantom 3 Pro to the Mavic Air 2 It's day and night of a difference. You will appreciate the ease of use and a lot less to lug around. The reason I didn't buy any of the earlier Mavics was because of the silly small remote control. Air2 S not for me waiting to see what the Air 3 has to offer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31