DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji mini 3 Pro 12mp vs 48mp

Chapperz

Reactions
Hi

Anybody out there using the mini 3 Pro and tried to print large print from a 48mp shot or can say it is actually better than 22mp in terms of quality

Yeah but, it's not true 48mp, it's quad bayer and there's been a lot of debate about if the 48 is better.
I'm well aware of the discussion around the quad bayer sensor.
It's true 48MP, but it's created in a different way than conventional sensors .
I was just pointing out that the options are 48MP and 12MP, not 48MP and 22MP.

Hi

Anybody out there using the mini 3 Pro and tried to print large print from a 48mp shot or can say it is actually better than 22mp in terms of quality
In theory you should get more detail in a large (like 40x60cm or larger) print with 48MP. But there has been several reports that the 48MP files have strange colour artifacts and "blotches", this is because of the quad bayer sensor (or rather the internal signal procesing). You need to test for yourself.
Another option is to take photos in 12MP and use a software like Topaz Gigapixel to enlarge the photo to the desired size. It gives impressive results.

Reactions: claytonc214
I can personally say that 48MP photos from the Mini 3 Pro are borderline useless. As it's been mentioned you do get some artefacts on certain details, more or less in brighter areas and small details ( not moire ) but branches and such.
You are better off taking 12MP AEB and upscaling them with Gigapixel for better results

comparison.jpg
This was a comparison test I did some time ago. You can see a lot of color anomalies on the tree trunk on 48MP mode and they're pretty much missing after upscaling a 12MP 5AEB with Gigapixel

In conclusion, forget 48MP Photos from the drone if you're planning of making prints out of them.

I can personally say that 48MP photos from the Mini 3 Pro are borderline useless. As it's been mentioned you do get some artefacts on certain details, more or less in brighter areas and small details ( not moire ) but branches and such.
You are better off taking 12MP AEB and upscaling them with Gigapixel for better results

View attachment 166855
This was a comparison test I did some time ago. You can see a lot of color anomalies on the tree trunk on 48MP mode and they're pretty much missing after upscaling a 12MP 5AEB with Gigapixel

In conclusion, forget 48MP Photos from the drone if you're planning of making prints out of them.
Good example, that is exactly what I have seen on plenty other 48MP photos from the Mini 3 Pro

I'm well aware of the discussion around the quad bayer sensor.
It's true 48MP, but it's created in a different way than conventional sensors .
I was just pointing out that the options are 48MP and 12MP, not 48MP and 22MP.
22 was a typo

View attachment 166855

Ahhh I see...

View attachment 166855

Yeah the chromatic aberrations on the trunk are horrendous... I'm shocked by how good the AI upscaling is though.

Do you use the upscaling to print large prints personally and what are the end results like?

Yeah the chromatic aberrations on the trunk are horrendous... I'm shocked by how good the AI upscaling is though.

Do you use the upscaling to print large prints personally and what are the end results like?
Nothing too big, usually just something to hang on the wall. The results vary really, depending on the detail the AI model has to work with. Smaller detail can look a bit wonky at times. But you do get sharper detail with upscaling.

12mpupscaled.JPG
although this photo was taken with a Mini 2, but you can see that upscaling some detail might not work properly.
Left is Original and Right one is upscaled

If you're fine doing a lot of post work, removing noise and trying to get rid of the CA you might be able to use 48MP mode on the Mini 3 Pro, but if you're planning of doing some serious work and really want to shoot in 48MP mode then I'd say you'd be better off getting the Air 3 as you can shoot 48MP 3AEB with it which will help a lot with noise reduction and generally just improving the image quality. Though I know this might not be an option for everyone depending on the rules and regulations of flying drones.

Also you can always try and shoot panoramic shots / panning which you'd stitch into one big image, that's what I mostly do.

Really is up to you if you want to use the 48MP mode or not just giving out my thoughts on it. It has it's problems but so does AI upscaling :)

Reactions: Sunny Coast Mini 2
Yeah I've opted for moving in closer to the subject and taking multiple 5aeb shots and stitching... I did
Nothing too big, usually just something to hang on the wall. The results vary really, depending on the detail the AI model has to work with. Smaller detail can look a bit wonky at times. But you do get sharper detail with upscaling.

View attachment 166856
although this photo was taken with a Mini 2, but you can see that upscaling some detail might not work properly.
Left is Original and Right one is upscaled

If you're fine doing a lot of post work, removing noise and trying to get rid of the CA you might be able to use 48MP mode on the Mini 3 Pro, but if you're planning of doing some serious work and really want to shoot in 48MP mode then I'd say you'd be better off getting the Air 3 as you can shoot 48MP 3AEB with it which will help a lot with noise reduction and generally just improving the image quality. Though I know this might not be an option for everyone depending on the rules and regulations of flying drones.

Also you can always try and shoot panoramic shots / panning which you'd stitch into one big image, that's what I mostly do.

Really is up to you if you want to use the 48MP mode or not just giving out my thoughts on it. It has it's problems but so does AI upscaling :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart