DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Battery question

john2k

Reactions
I'm a complete newbie in the Drone world. Come from owning a Parrot Bebop for not too long and while owning the Bebop I learnt a few things about the ever-so confusing batteries and the safety. The parrot bebops come with LiPo batteries which apparently are at higher risk to spontaneously catch fire. A few things I learnt about it was that apparently you should never store it below 50% charge, ideally between 50 and 70% charge should remain when storing or transporting. Apparently if you don't then battery life can get dramatically shorter and also the risk of swollen batteries.

I am not a frequent flyer, I have bought my Mavic Air waiting for delivery today to replace my Bebop. I will use it here and there but not frequently. So this means it could go for several weeks or months without being used. So question is do I apply same rule of making sure batteries are at 60% before storing away? do you store batteries in the LiPo bags? If this is the case that means for example if i am planning to fly, i charge all batteries to 100% then fly then whichever batteries are fully drained, charge them again so that i can hover and drain it to 60% and the fully charged batteries I didn't use just hover them to drain to 60%? sounds like a lot of work LOL.

And finally, the Parrot Bebop 2 was well known for the OEM charger not balancing the battery properly, so therefore you find so many youtube videos and people selling aftermarket balancers. How does the Mavic Air standard charger compare? also thinking to get the charging hub, how does the hub compare?

do I apply same rule of making sure batteries are at 60% before storing away?
The batteries will be healthiest if you keep them in this range as much as possible:

BatteryLevel.png

for example if i am planning to fly, i charge all batteries to 100% then fly then whichever batteries are fully drained, charge them again so that i can hover and drain it to 60% and the fully charged batteries I didn't use just hover them to drain to 60%?
After flying, you should charge the batteries up until the 3rd battery light starts blinking if you aren't planning on using them again in the next couple of days. If you are definitely going to fly again in the next couple of days, then it you don't need to charge them back up right away after flying.

the Parrot Bebop 2 was well known for the OEM charger not balancing the battery properly, so therefore you find so many youtube videos and people selling aftermarket balancers. How does the Mavic Air standard charger compare?
The DJI charger balances the batteries. There's no need to buy some kind of aftermarket balancer to achieve that balance.

also thinking to get the charging hub, how does the hub compare?
The DJI battery charging hub will make it more convenient to charge multiple batteries. While it's not going to charge them faster, you won't have to constantly keep an eye on them to know when it's time to switch to the next battery.

If you're looking to charge the batteries faster, you'll need to purchase a 3rd party parallel charger. This Yx battery charger is a well known 3rd party brand. It can charge 4 batteries in 1 hour.

do you store batteries in the LiPo bags?
The batteries are most dangerous while they are being charged. So, it would be best to charge them when you're nearby in case something doesn't go as expected. As long as the batteries are not damaged (e.g. punctured), you likely will never run into a problem with them.

I store my batteries in LiPo bags since I keep them in my house. I realize it's a bit overkill, but I'll trade the small cost of those bags for the peace of mind it gives me. You can find some LiPo bag options here on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernzter
Thanks for the great reply. very helpful. In the battery level diagram, you mention battery will be healthiest at those parameters, does that include even when flying should we not fly it after battery is gone to 25%?

Just so that I am understanding, a solid LED 1 and a flashing LED 2 means battery is between 25% and 37.5% is that correct?

The DJI battery charging hub will make it more convenient to charge multiple batteries. While it's not going to charge them faster, you won't have to constantly keep an eye on them to know when it's time to switch to the next battery.

So with the default charger that comes with the Mavic Air, if it takes 45mins to charge the battery and I plug lets say 4 batteries into the hub will that require 45mins x4? or all 4 will get done in 45mins? if it's 45mins x4 then if i plan my flights i can just charge them individually 4 times prior the flight right?

Is it safe to charge battery to 100% a day or so before flight and store it? or should they be charged to 100% only before flying?

Reactions: Fire377
In the battery level diagram, you mention battery will be healthiest at those parameters, does that include even when flying should we not fly it after battery is gone to 25%?
I haven't done detailed testing with the batteries below 25%, but I don't think you'll damage them by flying below 25%. When the battery is that low, you'll start to venture into dangerous territory -- like the auto landing that occurs when the battery reaches the critically low level. So, there are other good reasons why you might not want to continue to fly when the battery is that low.

a solid LED 1 and a flashing LED 2 means battery is between 25% and 37.5% is that correct?
Yes.

So with the default charger that comes with the Mavic Air, if it takes 45mins to charge the battery and I plug lets say 4 batteries into the hub will that require 45mins x4? or all 4 will get done in 45mins?
The hub does not charge the batteries faster. It just makes the charging process more convenient. Another perk is that it'll charge the battery with the highest charge level first (allowing a fully charged battery to be available as soon as possible).

Is it safe to charge battery to 100% a day or so before flight and store it? or should they be charged to 100% only before flying?
If you charge a battery to 100% and let is sit for a couple of days, it might not still be at 100% when you go to use it (since batteries naturally lose charge over time). It should still be very close to 100% though. I usually charge my batteries the day before or day of my next flight.

Ok this may be the most confusing thread
Of all time. Cell phones work best under constant charges. Different than the old batteries.

Now, as someone who only flies on weekends and maybe not for 2 weeks if it rains, they will discharge fully.

There is no way to keep all for batteries In this range under a 2 week window. You’d have to touch them to see what bars they are at and cycle them in and out of the charge just enough to keep at 50 percent?

Dollars to donuts here, dji will likely say, If not in use for the duration of the discharge cycle, let them drain. Then charge all four fully before flying. Pros care to comment?

Ok this may be the most confusing thread
Of all time.
Where exactly did we lose you?

Now, as someone who only flies on weekends and maybe not for 2 weeks if it rains, they will discharge fully.
The Mavic Air batteries will not fully discharge in 2 weeks (or even a month).

There is no way to keep all for batteries In this range under a 2 week window.
Give it a shot. It's certainly possible. Charge them up and them let them sit idle for a month. They'll still be in that range after a month.

Dollars to donuts here, dji will likely say, If not in use for the duration of the discharge cycle, let them drain.
Care to explain in more detail what you're suggesting here?

Ok let’s break down a weekend warrior cycle.
- charge up and fly
- from the manual give it time and get each battery to that 65 range

This is where the manual gets wacky. Don’t let it discharge fully, don’t keep it over 65.

So do you in reality do a battery check every day and touch up charge to make sure it stays at the 2 light indicator?

I’ve had mine not in use for 8 days. 1 is at 50 while the others are both fully charged. So what’s next?

So do you in reality do a battery check every day and touch up charge to make sure it stays at the 2 light indicator?
Nope.

If you have your batteries in storage for a long time (4 weeks+), then check the storage level once per month. Charge the batteries as needed.

I’d fly more but we got nasty rules near Toronto. My city has an airport so it’s 9km no fly zone. That wipes out my entire city.

So I just ran the Mavic in the house. Got all the bats at 55 percent. Now I’ll let them nap until the weekend

So to clarify, keep them between 45 and 65 percent at all times. Charge up before you go?

After flight, with depleted batteries and won’t be used for 7 days, charge back to 45-65?

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
I fly every couple of days. Once I am done flying I just charge my batteries and store them till next time. Seems to work well. If you are storing it for long periods you are not flying enough:)

Reactions: Fire377
I’d fly more but we got nasty rules near Toronto. My city has an airport so it’s 9km no fly zone. That wipes out my entire city.

So I just ran the Mavic in the house. Got all the bats at 55 percent. Now I’ll let them nap until the weekend

So to clarify, keep them between 45 and 65 percent at all times. Charge up before you go?

After flight, with depleted batteries and won’t be used for 7 days, charge back to 45-65?
To clarify, you should try to:
  • Only charge the batteries if you're going to fly today or tomorrow (so they don't remain fully charged for long periods of time)

• Charge the batteries until the 3rd battery light starts blinking if you press the battery button and find the second battery light is blinking (or the charge level is even lower than that)

• Don't let the batteries sit unused below 25% for more than a few days

• Store the batteries at room temperature
Depending on what you're doing, it might not be possible to follow these suggestions all of the time. However, your batteries should last longer if you follow these suggestions as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernzter
@msinger Thank you for some great tips, i think this really clarifies things. I probably will just make a battery checklist from the points you've given so that I can always refer to it.

The batteries are ‘smart’ and will enter a discharge cycle if not used for 10 days, taking them down to approx 60/65% charge.

Reactions: Skewif
The batteries are ‘smart’ and will enter a discharge cycle if not used for 10 days, taking them down to approx 60/65% charge.

Really? so are you saying you can leave them at 100% and if not used for 10 days they will automatically discharge to the optimal charge level of 60/65% ? Is this mentioned anywhere or have you tested it?

It’s in the Air’s user guide, and yes I’ve tested it

Here’s the exact words:

The Mavic Air Intelligent Flight Battery is an 11.55 V, 2375 mAh battery with smart charging/discharging functionality. It should only be charged using an appropriate DJI approved AC power adapter.
Battery Features
1. Battery Level Display: The LED indicators display the current battery level.
2. Auto-Discharging Function: To prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to below
65% of the maximum charge when it is idle for more than 10 days. It takes approximately one day to discharge the battery to 65%. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process.
3. Balanced Charging: The voltages of the battery cells are automatically balanced during charging.

Last edited:
@msinger thanks for that link. Just been reading another thread about some people experiencing sudden drop in battery levels from 50% to 0% in a few seconds and it seems that draining battery to 8% or below and then fully recharging re-calibrates the battery. If this is the case then is it a good idea then to make sure occasionally to run the battery all the way down to under 8% before charging. So for example 1 day before a flight run the battery down to under 8% then charge to full?

Just been reading another thread about some people experiencing sudden drop in battery levels from 50% to 0% in a few seconds and it seems that draining battery to 8% or below and then fully recharging re-calibrates the battery.
I've seen a few people report that, but I'm not sure what's causing it to occur.

You should not have to cycle your batteries. Just follow the tips I posted in post #13 above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman