DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Communication Issue

Tommose

Reactions
I've been experiencing some issues with my Air. Let me start by saying I really like the camera, and the drone is cool, except... The wifi is less than optimal.

I'd had some issues flying it around the house and in the area. Today, I took it out to fly around a nearby small wetland. All the antennae were positioned right, and wifi was at the lower frequency setting. The drone got maybe 100 feet away and I started getting signal interference messages and then a signal loss message.

That is just stupid. I like the video and photo quality, but I need the drone to not lose comms.

Anyone else see anything like this?

I saw this today. Couldn’t get more than 300-400 ft without warnings. And even when I was close the video image was very jumpy. Not a fan

Might help to look at the frequency diagram and choose a quiet channel.
Fair enough, and it might, but that shouldn't be necessary for a flight of 100 feet. This being a mobile device, and basically it's own two node network, it should change channels automatically based on interference.

More importantly, I shouldn't have to understand wifi to fly a drone. Choosing frequency is bad enough.

Reactions: avanti1963
The Wi-Fi is quite powerful, I have a video on here showing 4K feet in a suburban environment and still had a fairly strong signal leaving it completely default and auto.

The Wi-Fi is quite powerful, I have a video on here showing 4K feet in a suburban environment and still had a fairly strong signal leaving it completely default and auto.
Perhaps someone else's experience is different. But for me, I had a drone hovering over a wetland 100 feet away in a suburban area and communications was lost. I mean the screen went dark kind of lost.

You are using the remote correct? Not just a WiFi signal from a phone or tablet?

You are using the remote correct? Not just a WiFi signal from a phone or tablet?
Using the remote control, yes. It was in the same configuration I flew it under successfully both before and after. This one flight was different.

Three of us out flying today, two MP and one MA, we had a few wireless interference messages on the MA, but to be fair, one of the MP's also had similar messages and the app disconnected from the AC completely. I forced the MA into 5.8 and had most success there, but after the MPs landed and changed batteries, when they started back up they caused interference with the MA, so I put it back in 2.4 and it was fine. Adding goggles into the mix caused interference messages for the MPs. Go figure.

Back to OP, yeah you'd think there shouldn't be interference in a rural area, but could have been caused by so many things including localized items like your phone, or someone else's phone, smart watch, bluetooth, car, etc.. Around here there are lots of 2.4 point to point systems for gas & water meters, and various local infrastructure.

That seems fairly random. Why would this make a difference, and do you think this would be a permanent fix?

A engineer friend of mine that has the Mavic Pro told me this- it’s the app not the hardware, the cashing slows the information processing.
Our friend was having massive lag with his Air- helped him.

This is why I'm in no hurry to give up my MPP for a MA - WiFi is just not suitable for RC aircraft.

Reactions: Tommose
A engineer friend of mine that has the Mavic Pro told me this- it’s the app not the hardware, the cashing slows the information processing.
Our friend was having massive lag with his Air- helped him.
This seems like one massive kludge, if it even works. And if it works, I'm not willing to cripple the drone to work around what appears to be a design issue.

AFAIK the channel changes automatically while on the ground but once you take off it's locked. So if there's an intermittent interference source that kicks in once you're up it could do that.

AFAIK the channel changes automatically while on the ground but once you take off it's locked. So if there's an intermittent interference source that kicks in once you're up it could do that.

Ahh, this is good to know. So before you take off, verify the best channel with the least interference?

Yes it happens at close radius. But its from interference. And i believe struggles to maintain linkup eventually damages the circuitry firing repeatedly. Dont you think repetitive firing of radiated energies will ruin circuitry not designed to repetitively transmit this way?
The signal lost warn defaults rth and regain linkup usually returns, and, i cancel rth proceeding target filming and finally return through interference but without signal lost (strange not bidirectional)

I'm new to the drone community, I too have noticed as of late on short simple flights of a radius of approx. 500-600m or less. I have checked the strength of signals whether it be wifi or 2.5 mhz. on the app or the best signal. flight time is on average about 5 mins into when signal is lost. I am at a loss as to why this is happening? I even did the recent update, and make sure the batteries on both controller and battery is charged at 100%

Last edited:
I'm new to the drone community, I too have noticed as of late on short simple flights of a radius of approx. 500-600m or less. I have checked the strength of signals whether it be wifi or 2.5 mhz. on the app or the best signal. flight time is on average about 5 mins into when signal is lost. I am at a loss as to why this is happening? I even did the recent update, and make sure the batteries on both controller and battery is charged at 100%
Do you recall update prior signal lost?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inou