DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air crashes into sea (salt water), ‘Motor obstructed’ error. Pls advise.. TIA (CLOSED)

Without the AC, DJI will only send a new one if the logs show a mfr defect covered under warranty.
Sometimes the DAT files on the AC provide more details to substantiate warranty claim than the TXT log normally uploaded to their servers so they may need you to send it in.

Well noted. Thanks for the pointers!

Just have to wait for dji reply now, and see what to do next step.
Hopefully they get back as soon.

A noob question, Whats the text for?
It tells everything about the flight in question. BUT you have to upload it to a viewer or something.
@sar104 gave you links on how to do that back at post #26 or so. Click on the brown words.

Reactions: Air_Joe
Care Refresh is available in Singapore, Otherwise Buy The HongKong one, This was the recommendation of DJI support for my case .
I see, i checked it on the dji website, it states not availiable in my country. I better double check with the dealer

It tells everything about the flight in question. BUT you have to upload it to a viewer or something.
@sar104 gave you links on how to do that back at post #26 or so. Click on the brown words.
Sorry i know my questions are silly,
But doesnt the flight records give the same info? Or text format give even in depth info?

By the way for my case, i was totally not moving at all, just hovering and adjusting the settings for photo.

Sorry i know my questions are silly,
But doesnt the flight records give the same info? Or text format give even in depth info?

By the way for my case, i was totally not moving at all, just hovering and adjusting the settings for photo.
The flight data is in the text file. Motor speeds, battery voltages by cell, FC information, Gps information. Think of it as the "black box" not much unlike in a real aircraft.

The flight data is in the text file. Motor speeds, battery voltages by cell, FC information, Gps information. Think of it as the "black box" not much unlike in a real aircraft.
ahhh... i see. thanks for enlightening..
by the way , contacted dji again, mentioned they will get back to me on the result in 24-48hrs time, to give me a clearer picture of why a suddenly 'motor obstructed' failure.

update u guys again and thks a lot for all the inputs!

Care Refresh is available in Singapore, Otherwise Buy The HongKong one, This was the recommendation of DJI support for my case .

got this from dji forum.
advised by the admin there.

"
Hi there, thanks for your interest in DJI Care Refresh first. Please find the answers as below:
1. DJI Care Refresh is not available in Singapore at this moment. Personally, I do not suggest to purchase China Mainland/Hong Kong version as you lived in Singapore.
2. The DJI Care Refresh only covers the shipping cost of the designated areas. If you insist on purchasing China Mainland/Hong Kong version, I'm afraid that you have to pay the shipping cost to China Mainland/Hong Kong at your own cost. We will cover the shipping cost between your China Mainland/Hong Kong address and our service center.
3. We can not ensure the GST which depends on your location.
Therefore, I do not suggest to purchase DJI Care Refresh in this kind of situation.
"

source: DJI Care Refresh - Not covered in Singapore

Now that you mention, i guess i did come across it when i was setting up for flight.
Was eager to set up, i skipped everything.
Furthermore was in the impression of since its cover by warranty for another 12 minths, why should i pay extra after spending so much in the drone itself. Thats the reason i didnt read the content .
Now makes me wonder, whats the diff between the warranty and care package when it comes to defects within 12 months

You have yourself a mess and that sucks but don't feel bad my buddy did the same thing!
Now I own a Mavic Pro and let me tell you if you can afford it get either the Mavic Pro or the MP2. Huge difference in drones vs the Mavic Air - Night and Day.
Matter of fact, I flew my Mavic Air 1 time and returned to BestBuy in the States and traded up for a Mavic due to the quality of the pictures.
Don't get me wrong it was a fun drone to learn on but other than that I would do an upgrade mate if you got the loot. All the best. Live and learn!

Last edited:
You have yourself a mess and that sucks but don't feel bad my buddy did the same thing!
Now I own a Mavic Pro and let me tell you if you can afford it get either the Mavic Pro or the MP2. Huge difference in drones vs the Mavic Air - Night and Day.
Matter of fact, I flew my Mavic Air 1 time and returned to BestBuy in the States and traded up for a Mavic due to the quality of the pictures.
Don't get me wrong it was a fun drone to learn on but other than that I would do an upgrade mate if you got the loot. All the best. Live and learn!

Got it pal, good advice.
Im just a hobbist, rather than pro like u guys.
Im happy enough with my MA.

Nah, for me whats done cannot undone. Rather i didnt do anything for the plunge . Just trying to get it sort out and move on as advise by most experience guys here

All for dji to analyst, and find out what had happen. Hopefully they will give me a fair and favourable report.

Just sent them some extract datas from my phone they requested.

So finger crossed.

Reactions: FLPilotshark
Good luck on DJI helping you. Here is my situation and it looks like DJI could care less. Note that it is clear that the drone went into ocean and not like it is lost, just can’t recover it. I have DJI Refresh. Secondly, the drone would not respond to commands except to change altitude. The data log clearly shows this. Below is my response to DJI and their analysis. Seems they glossed over my points or don’t understand English. Wonder what happens to the unused portion of my DJI Care. In any event, good luck on getting DJI to be reasonable.

==========
Thank you for your reply. A couple of points:
1. It is obvious from the data log that the aircraft is in the ocean and cannot be recovered. This is not like a lost drone on land that a loss cannot be verified.l. If it was able to be recovered, it would have to be replaced because of salt water Emerson. So why are you not covering it under my DJI Care? Some reasonableness should be interspersed.
2. In looking at the data log, the error note said to move away from no fly zone. You will see that I tried many times to get away from no fly zone but the aircraft would not respond. Why is that pilot error?
3. The RTH took it to and into the no fly zone on automatically with no direction from the pilot. Why is that pilot error?

Finally, I believe after reconsideration of the above you will agree to replace my drone.

Thank you for your analysis. Please review above and advise.

On 1. Mar 2019, at 8:26 PM, DJI SUPPORT (DJI Support) <[email protected]> wrote:
##- 请在此行以上输入您的回复 -##
111111111.png

DJI SUPPORT (DJI Support)
3月2日 CST14:26
Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

This is Dora from the data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

For your case Xxxxxxxx, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode and responded to the pilot's command well;
2. At T=11:30, H=23.6m, D=3738.6m, battery=58%, RTH was triggered due to low battery. The RTH route needed to pass an Authorization Zone, which caused that the aircraft couldn't return back normally;
3. At T=15:33, H=29.8m, D=992.4m, the aircraft reached the boundary of the Authorization Zone and couldn't enter into the zone, then it hovered in the air;
4. At T=19:24, H=44.2m, D=982.4m, the flight record ended. The End Point: 20.9021050 -156.6956959.

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by the pilot's error. Please pay attention to the flight environment.

If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another one, we can offer you a 15% off discount for Mavic 2 Pro without the charger and remote controller. Please kindly send us the following information if you would like to accept the offer:
Shipping address:
Contact name:
Phone number:

Should you have more questions about the result of the data analysis, please reply to this email directly within 15 calendar days. Then we will contact you via email in 2-3 working days.

Thank for your support, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Dora
DJI Technical Support
Youtube: DJI Support

Good luck on DJI helping you. Here is my situation and it looks like DJI could care less. Note that it is clear that the drone went into ocean and not like it is lost, just can’t recover it. I have DJI Refresh. Secondly, the drone would not respond to commands except to change altitude. The data log clearly shows this. Below is my response to DJI and their analysis. Seems they glossed over my points or don’t understand English. Wonder what happens to the unused portion of my DJI Care. In any event, good luck on getting DJI to be reasonable.

==========
Thank you for your reply. A couple of points:
1. It is obvious from the data log that the aircraft is in the ocean and cannot be recovered. This is not like a lost drone on land that a loss cannot be verified.l. If it was able to be recovered, it would have to be replaced because of salt water Emerson. So why are you not covering it under my DJI Care? Some reasonableness should be interspersed.
2. In looking at the data log, the error note said to move away from no fly zone. You will see that I tried many times to get away from no fly zone but the aircraft would not respond. Why is that pilot error?
3. The RTH took it to and into the no fly zone on automatically with no direction from the pilot. Why is that pilot error?

Finally, I believe after reconsideration of the above you will agree to replace my drone.

Thank you for your analysis. Please review above and advise.

On 1. Mar 2019, at 8:26 PM, DJI SUPPORT (DJI Support) <[email protected]> wrote:

##- 请在此行以上输入您的回复 -##

111111111.png

DJI SUPPORT (DJI Support)

3月2日 CST14:26

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

This is Dora from the data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

For your case Xxxxxxxx, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode and responded to the pilot's command well;

2. At T=11:30, H=23.6m, D=3738.6m, battery=58%, RTH was triggered due to low battery. The RTH route needed to pass an Authorization Zone, which caused that the aircraft couldn't return back normally;

3. At T=15:33, H=29.8m, D=992.4m, the aircraft reached the boundary of the Authorization Zone and couldn't enter into the zone, then it hovered in the air;

4. At T=19:24, H=44.2m, D=982.4m, the flight record ended. The End Point: 20.9021050 -156.6956959.

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by the pilot's error. Please pay attention to the flight environment.

If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another one, we can offer you a 15% off discount for Mavic 2 Pro without the charger and remote controller. Please kindly send us the following information if you would like to accept the offer:

Shipping address:

Contact name:

Phone number:

Should you have more questions about the result of the data analysis, please reply to this email directly within 15 calendar days. Then we will contact you via email in 2-3 working days.

Thank for your support, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Dora

DJI Technical Support

Youtube: DJI Support

Its really an eye opener and more learning experience!

Pardon me, could anyone enlighten me that it seems like if a drone enter a ‘no fly zone’ , signal will disrupted , and user will not be able to control it?

2) In your case, seems like u are unable to control it back, however dji classified it as a ‘pilot error’ . Is there really no room for nego?
Furthermore 15% seems like super lousy deal they are offering.

3) lastly, u are covered under care package, how come there isnt a replacement for your ac???

Hi guys, im new here. And i know there has been many thread about drone crashing into water.
But i would like to find out , what should i do as i had just crashed my MA into the sea. I was able to retrieve it, however its covered with lots of salt. Beside putting it in the rice bucket, any other good suggestion?
Your input will be deeply appreciated!

Also, i contacted dji on that. What are the chances they will do a replacement. I only got my drone for 1 month.
Incident happened like this,
I was do flying roughly 50metres from me by the coastline using tapfly. However after the cancel the mode, it was hovering there. As i was changing video to photo mode after 5-10 seconds of hovering, screen suddenly turn blank.

Immediately i run over and retrieve it.after study then flight record, it shows a ‘motor obstruction’ warning before it crashed, that is after im flying on my 2nd batt, for 12 mins or so.

Drone is in rice bucket now.
Any chances dji to do a replacement?
Understand that salt water will cause heavy corrosion. Totally devastated now.

Many years ago I was an underwater photography instructor, using Nikon Nikonos cameras which would occasionally flood, as did the electronic flash units. We would immediately soak them in a bath of Methyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) which we carried with us to the dive site, along with a sealable container big enough for the camera. The alcohol will displace the water and then evaporate away leaving no residue. Methyl Hydrate would also work. To be sure we would do at least two alcohol baths with drying time after each. We had several cameras and flash units flood over the years and each one continued to work normally once treated this way. The Nikonos cameras did not have the level of sophisticated circuits that drones carry, but, no harm in trying. You have to get the salt out of them. The Rice bucket will help with drying but won't remove salt deposits deep inside the unit.

Its really an eye opener and more learning experience!

Pardon me, could anyone enlighten me that it seems like if a drone enter a ‘no fly zone’ , signal will disrupted , and user will not be able to control it?

2) In your case, seems like u are unable to control it back, however dji classified it as a ‘pilot error’ . Is there really no room for nego?
Furthermore 15% seems like super lousy deal they are offering.

There is no signal disruption associated with no fly zones. All that happens is that the aircraft will stop and not respond to commands to proceed. You can still fly it in other directions.

15% discount is often offered, even when the problem is caused by pilot error. That seems quite generous. I can't think of many other manufacturers who will sell you a discounted replacement if you lose or destroy the first one through user error.

Reactions: Tota and Air_Joe
Many years ago I was an underwater photography instructor, using Nikon Nikonos cameras which would occasionally flood, as did the electronic flash units. We would immediately soak them in a bath of Methyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) which we carried with us to the dive site, along with a sealable container big enough for the camera. The alcohol will displace the water and then evaporate away leaving no residue. Methyl Hydrate would also work. To be sure we would do at least two alcohol baths with drying time after each. We had several cameras and flash units flood over the years and each one continued to work normally once treated this way. The Nikonos cameras did not have the level of sophisticated circuits that drones carry, but, no harm in trying. You have to get the salt out of them. The Rice bucket will help with drying but won't remove salt deposits deep inside the unit.

Thks pal for such a details experience sharing post!
Im sure we can all learn from your post.

Back to me, its been quite a few days now.
Guess all is too late and its totally gone now.

But again really appreciate your sharing your experience with us here. Thks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02