DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air crashes into sea (salt water), ‘Motor obstructed’ error. Pls advise.. TIA (CLOSED)

I am not sure if its too late now but I would have washed the drone with fresh water to wash away the salt, then stick it in rice bucket. Hopefully when DJI look at the flight logs and see that you did not fly it into the water and that it was an engine problem then maybe they will replace the drone. You never know you might get lucky!

Plus maybe just maybe the drone will work when it gets dry?

You can always post the flight log here for others to look at and see if they can find the problem.

Good luck dude
My experience and my colleagues express, dji will give u a link to buy a new one. Their tech support line is really a sales line. I came home with my spark dji from target. A fresh package without charging cords that show they are incuded in the box. Target told me to talk to dji. Tech support had me send them pics of the receipt, and box showing the printed contents on the outside of the box. Once he received he pretended his English was bad and kept sending me the link to purchase them. Then he dissappeared. When I tried again with another tech guy. He did the exact thing. I think they have orders on flow charts to buy accessories. It's simply a joke.n

My experience and my colleagues express, dji will give u a link to buy a new one. Their tech support line is really a sales line. I came home with my spark dji from target. A fresh package without charging cords that show they are incuded in the box. Target told me to talk to dji. Tech support had me send them pics of the receipt, and box showing the printed contents on the outside of the box. Once he received he pretended his English was bad and kept sending me the link to purchase them. Then he dissappeared. When I tried again with another tech guy. He did the exact thing. I think they have orders on flow charts to buy accessories. It's simply a joke.n
Oh gosh, that was what i was told to do, sent a receipt, my purchase proof etc.
Dji mentioned they will investigate after giving me a case number.
Looks like there is a very low chance of replacement say even if its a manufacturer fault. How much u forked out?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Thanks. Its 230am my place now. Probably do it first thing in the morning.
Thought of open it up to dry the inside, worry is will dji void the warranty if i open it up?
It will do no good to open it up. You need to rinse the salt residue out although it is probably too late. It will cause no more harm to put it in a bucket of de-ionized or distilled water and thoroughly rinse it out. This is for the battery also.

...I just got my MA for a month, not sure whether im covered with care.
Dji will only do a replacement once they receive the drone back?
If DJI decides that it is not a warranty claim (based on logs) the most they will offer is a discount on a replacement. If you have purchased Care Refresh and choose the express option they will send a replacement as soon as they receive your wreck. If you choose the repair option, DJI will assess the damage and give you an estimate for repairs. If the estimate is less than the Refresh charge (extremely rare, if ever) you can pay that price and save your Refresh use.

Do you think it could have been a possible bird strike?

Looking at this screen shot, you were 3.5 meters high, descending at 28 km/h while moving horizontally at around 5 km/h. Something was controlling it, or it would have been hovering.
Motor obstruction happen when it hit the water I bet.
If the drone was descending at 28 km/hr, the only thing controlling it was gravity.
Now my question is, how bad the salt water will damage the drone?
Sea water = death to electronics.
If you haven't flushed the salt immediately, the drone is dead.
Even if you do flush the salt water, the chances of fixing it would be slim.
And also, what are the chances dji replacement are?
DJI will replace if there is evidence of a DJI problem.
You can get some idea of the cause by posting your flight data here for analysis.
To do that, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it shows you.

It will do no good to open it up. You need to rinse the salt residue out although it is probably too late. It will cause no more harm to put it in a bucket of de-ionized or distilled water and thoroughly rinse it out. This is for the battery also.

Most reply i saw was, i should have rinse it immediately, something i didnt do. Fearing for the worst now.
Batt seems dead. No light when i try pushing the button.

Thks for your reply

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
If DJI decides that it is not a warranty claim (based on logs) the most they will offer is a discount on a replacement. If you have purchased Care Refresh and choose the express option they will send a replacement as soon as they receive your wreck. If you choose the repair option, DJI will assess the damage and give you an estimate for repairs. If the estimate is less than the Refresh charge (extremely rare, if ever) you can pay that price and save your Refresh use.
I didnt purchase anything else besides the drone combo.
Just thought it might be under warranty. Meaning care refresh is exculded? I dont think i have that, im screwed this time!

Dont mind me asking, what kind of discount as in how many percent off the original price likely to be offered by dji in your case?

Last edited:
Do you think it could have been a possible bird strike?
I strongly suspected that...
But at the time of flying, it doesnt seems to hve lot of birds around. Or rather just 1 or 2 small birds.
Does dji warranty covers bird strike?

Im a computer dummy, i did a screen recording here is it.. feel free to enlighten me, what might have happen?
Most worrying for me now is how dji will look at this, what they will do for this instance. Sighh..

Last edited:
Hi guys, im new here. And i know there has been many thread about drone crashing into water.
But i would like to find out , what should i do as i had just crashed my MA into the sea. I was able to retrieve it, however its covered with lots of salt. Beside putting it in the rice bucket, any other good suggestion?
Your input will be deeply appreciated!

Also, i contacted dji on that. What are the chances they will do a replacement. I only got my drone for 1 month.
Incident happened like this,
I was do flying roughly 50metres from me by the coastline using tapfly. However after the cancel the mode, it was hovering there. As i was changing video to photo mode after 5-10 seconds of hovering, screen suddenly turn blank.

Immediately i run over and retrieve it.after study then flight record, it shows a ‘motor obstruction’ warning before it crashed, that is after im flying on my 2nd batt, for 12 mins or so.

Drone is in rice bucket now.
Any chances dji to do a replacement?
Understand that salt water will cause heavy corrosion. Totally devastated now.

-----------------------

Joe,
First, your RICE trick is not going to work coming from someone has a lot of experience with all the tiny little microcircuits, plus all of the integrated circuits, semiconductors and mini microchips inside of your drone that just can't wet no matter what. Ones these mini microchips get well they will not function properly, trust me!

Don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but I Certainly hope you bought the Care Package within the 1st 48 hrs of owning your Mavic Air? Also where did you buy it from?

Let's put this way, my good friend just went through the care package where he had 2 send in his drone to DJI since he was able to retrieve the drone from the water kind of like your situation! Even know he paid the $89.99 or $99.99 for the Dji Care Pkge my friend still had to pay an extra $250.00 dollars for them to repair the drone. A lot of people don't realize this but just b/c you bought the Dji's Care Package for your drone they automatically think that Dji is just going to turn around and send you a brand new drone. Hate to break the news to you but sorry does not work that way. Also, it took over 8 weeks to get his sUSA back from Dji.

I hate to admit it but if you did not buy the Dji Pkg w/in 48 hrs of buying it, your SOL mate!
Might be time to look for new sUAS.. Hope it all works out for ya MATE, b/c like I was saying my buddy lost a brand new P2, so I feel your pain but his sUAS was only $1500.000 :(

Joe, if I were you, I would Try head over to the site and ask DJI-Paladin who you is one of the many moderators for the Offical Dji Forum.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-47996-1-1.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Air_Joe
any water.. fresh or salt is bad, salt water is worse... the problem isn't the water itself... the problem is when a drone goes into the water the electrical circuits are powered on... the water acts like one big electrical short... it might or might not do damage from the electrical short... if your craft goes into the water you need to take the battery out as fast as you can.. this will eliminate any further electrical damage.... the next item is how to get the water out of the craft and eliminate any water born contamination.... two thoughts on this... 1) soak the craft in bottled water, the kind of water you would put in a clothes iron... di water is best but not easy to buy...2) the best method is to soak the craft in IPA alcohol... not only soak the craft but wash the major components with the alcohol... then repeat the flush/wash with the alcohol... the alcohol will do two things... it will displace the water out of the craft and it will flush away any water contamination like heavy metals and salts.... the alcohol also evaporates quickly..
after you flush/wash the craft... shake out the remaining alcohol and with a blow dryer dry as much of the craft as possible and then place the craft into a bag with rice... let it sit in the bag for a day or two.... now that the craft is dry its time to put a fresh battery into the craft and see if it will power on... if so, test out its flight worthyness... if it doesn't power up then you have a craft thats value is mainly spare parts, mainly mechanical parts for your newly purchase craft to replace the one you just recovered from the water.... hope this helps some...
You can also combine the clean water/alcohol method... use the clean water for the initial wash/flush and then use the alcohol to displace the clean water... that way you won't need as much of the alcohol to start off with... hope this helps..

any water.. fresh or salt is bad, salt water is worse... the problem isn't the water itself... the problem is when a drone goes into the water the electrical circuits are powered on... the water acts like one big electrical short... it might or might not do damage from the electrical short... if your craft goes into the water you need to take the battery out as fast as you can.. this will eliminate any further electrical damage.... the next item is how to get the water out of the craft and eliminate any water born contamination.... two thoughts on this... 1) soak the craft in bottled water, the kind of water you would put in a clothes iron... di water is best but not easy to buy...2) the best method is to soak the craft in IPA alcohol... not only soak the craft but wash the major components with the alcohol... then repeat the flush/wash with the alcohol... the alcohol will do two things... it will displace the water out of the craft and it will flush away any water contamination like heavy metals and salts.... the alcohol also evaporates quickly..
after you flush/wash the craft... shake out the remaining alcohol and with a blow dryer dry as much of the craft as possible and then place the craft into a bag with rice... let it sit in the bag for a day or two.... now that the craft is dry its time to put a fresh battery into the craft and see if it will power on... if so, test out its flight worthyness... if it doesn't power up then you have a craft thats value is mainly spare parts, mainly mechanical parts for your newly purchase craft to replace the one you just recovered from the water.... hope this helps some...
You can also combine the clean water/alcohol method... use the clean water for the initial wash/flush and then use the alcohol to displace the clean water... that way you won't need as much of the alcohol to start off with... hope this helps..
Great explanation pal!
Too bad , its already all too late now.
Im still keeping it in rice.
Hoping and praying something positive comes out from dji investigation, as in why drone crashed suddenly.
Thks for your detailed comment pal! As least i learn something here

Hi guys, im new here. And i know there has been many thread about drone crashing into water.
But i would like to find out , what should i do as i had just crashed my MA into the sea. I was able to retrieve it, however its covered with lots of salt. Beside putting it in the rice bucket, any other good suggestion?
Your input will be deeply appreciated!

Also, i contacted dji on that. What are the chances they will do a replacement. I only got my drone for 1 month.
Incident happened like this,
I was do flying roughly 50metres from me by the coastline using tapfly. However after the cancel the mode, it was hovering there. As i was changing video to photo mode after 5-10 seconds of hovering, screen suddenly turn blank.

Immediately i run over and retrieve it.after study then flight record, it shows a ‘motor obstruction’ warning before it crashed, that is after im flying on my 2nd batt, for 12 mins or so.

Drone is in rice bucket now.
Any chances dji to do a replacement?
Understand that salt water will cause heavy corrosion. Totally devastated now.
Not rice ,first rince it with fresh water than dry it good luck

Reactions: Air_Joe
-----------------------

Joe,
First, your RICE trick is not going to work coming from someone has a lot of experience with all the tiny little microcircuits, plus all of the integrated circuits, semiconductors and mini microchips inside of your drone that just can't wet no matter what. Ones these mini microchips get well they will not function properly, trust me!

Don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but I Certainly hope you bought the Care Package within the 1st 48 hrs of owning your Mavic Air? Also where did you buy it from?

Let's put this way, my good friend just went through the care package where he had 2 send in his drone to DJI since he was able to retrieve the drone from the water kind of like your situation! Even know he paid the $89.99 or $99.99 for the Dji Care Pkge my friend still had to pay an extra $250.00 dollars for them to repair the drone. A lot of people don't realize this but just b/c you bought the Dji's Care Package for your drone they automatically think that Dji is just going to turn around and send you a brand new drone. Hate to break the news to you but sorry does not work that way. Also, it took over 8 weeks to get his sUSA back from Dji.

I hate to admit it but if you did not buy the Dji Pkg w/in 48 hrs of buying it, your SOL mate!
Might be time to look for new sUAS.. Hope it all works out for ya MATE, b/c like I was saying my buddy lost a brand new P2, so I feel your pain but his sUAS was only $1500.000 :(

Joe, if I were you, I would Try head over to the site and ask DJI-Paladin what you should do since he his one of the many moderators for the Offical Dji Forum.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-47996-1-1.html

I bought it from a local dealer, in singapore.
He didnt mention anything about care package.
He did mention its under warranty for 12 months from dji. I totally didnt know such thing about care package.

Thks pal for your advices!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard