DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air crashes into sea (salt water), ‘Motor obstructed’ error. Pls advise.. TIA (CLOSED)

cant figure out how to use datcon, downloaded the file , unzip, however unable to run it.

anyway i will just copy and paste the aliens words here.

DJIFlightRecord_2019-01-29_[15-25-59].txt

are u able to access it bro?

Yes - but that's not a DAT file - it's another txt log file from January 29. You appear to be in the wrong directory. You need "FlightRecords/MCDatFlightRecords directory".

Reactions: Air_Joe
not sure abt the vps, but its definately not that low, i wouldnt have the guts to do that..lol
perhaps i try to load the photo i took before it went into a spin. a better gauge i guess.

Here goes last photo taken.
a better gauge of height i was hovering
My friend, it doesn't seem to be 10 mts high, I mean this picture ... and seems also to be quite windy. What the other dudes in this conversation think ?

My friend, it doesn't seem to be 10 mts high, I mean this picture ... and seems also to be quite windy. What the other dudes in this conversation think ?

Estimated 10metres my friend.
Yeah obviously seaside there will be wind, however its not so strong. Not even a single strong wind warning..

no idea bro, waiting for comments.

Last edited:
No - that was a flight on February 22. Note that in my post above I meant February 29, not January 29.

sorry bro, got it mixed up again , the file i posted was the top file in the folder , thats y i thought it was the latest.

here we go again, this is the last file in folder, should be it
2019-02-26_16-48-47_FLY098.DAT

Thks!

* by the way bro, what program u use to read these aliens wording?

Last edited:
sorry bro, got it mixed up again , the file i posted was the top file in the folder , thats y i thought it was the latest.

here we go again, this is the last file in folder, should be it
2019-02-26_16-48-47_FLY098.DAT

Thks!

* by the way bro, what program u use to read these aliens wording?

FLY098 is the flight in question. Unfortunately it is very difficult to tell what happened at the end because there was one second of signal loss followed by just a couple of data points when things had already gone bad. It does appear that the left front and right back motor speeds went high, possibly suggesting that one of those lost a prop, but that's really total speculation from such few data.

motors.png

FLY098 is the flight in question. Unfortunately it is very difficult to tell what happened at the end because there was one second of signal loss followed by just a couple of data points when things had already gone bad. It does appear that the left front and right back motor speeds went high, possibly suggesting that one of those lost a prop, but that's really total speculation from such few data.

View attachment 65244
Wow amazing details they are showing here!
thks a lot bro for your time and effort for this!!! appreciate it very much.

so can see that , mainly is the RB n RF motor sudden lost power,
i guess thats the reason why the drone went into a spin downwards into the water below, instead of a haywire headless chicken fly crash.

i mentioned in early post, maybe u have missed it,
Never took out any of the prop from the day i bought it,
after retrieve the ac, all 4 props were still well intacted.

looks like this mystery of mine is quite tough to solve. sighhhhh.....

Another possibility is that the leftBack (black plot)was obstructed. It drew more current and turned slower.
1551970389621.png

The response was to command the rightFront (red plot) slower to maintain attitude. But, the other two motors (rightBack and leftFront) were also commanded higher. Usually, the other two are changed.
1551970463317.png

Also, immediately prior there was some roll CCW and pitch up - consistent with a leftBack propulsion issue.
1551970786252.png

Reactions: Air_Joe and sar104
Another possibility is that the leftBack (black plot)was obstructed. It drew more current and turned slower.
View attachment 65255

The response was to command the rightFront (red plot) slower to maintain attitude. But, the other two motors (rightBack and leftFront) were also commanded higher. Usually, the other two are changed.
View attachment 65256

Also, immediately prior there was some roll CCW and pitch up - consistent with a leftBack propulsion issue.
View attachment 65257

Seriously guys, im really impressed with your analysis!
How could u guys tell so much story with these datas??
Dnt mind me asking, anyone of u works for dji or is their administrator or such?

Yes bro, u are right, warning after ac plunged was ‘motor obstructed’.

It makes me wonder what could have caused the ‘obstruction’ , and caused the ac to plunged suddenly, sadly into the water, (salt water!) , below...

Im in a way hope that its a manufacturer defect and dji would honour its warranty and replace me an ac. Finger crossed.

View attachment 65255

View attachment 65256

View attachment 65257

Agreed - that is very suggestive of a left back problem. The was no recorded message on motor problems, but it could have occurred during the short period of data loss, followed by:

861.656 : 49661 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail

Seriously guys, im really impressed with your analysis!
How could u guys tell so much story with these datas??
Dnt mind me asking, anyone of u works for dji or is their administrator or such?

Yes bro, u are right, warning after ac plunged was ‘motor obstructed’.

It makes me wonder what could have caused the ‘obstruction’ , and caused the ac to plunged suddenly, sadly into the water, (salt water!) , below...

Im in a way hope that its a manufacturer defect and dji would honour its warranty and replace me an ac. Finger crossed.

The DAT logs contain a lot of information, recorded every 0.1 seconds.

Neither of us works for DJI.

The DAT logs contain a lot of information, recorded every 0.1 seconds.

Neither of us works for DJI.

Wow impressive stuffs here! 0.1 sec!
Sorry for being a noob, no wonder dji drones cost so much than others .

Now my concern is
1) how would dji interpret these datas.
2) what are the chances like for a replacement, if its a ‘manufacturer defect fault, if not what would be the likely outcome. ( just to mentally preparing myself)

Wow impressive stuffs here! 0.1 sec!
Sorry for being a noob, no wonder dji drones cost so much than others .

Now my concern is
1) how would dji interpret these datas.
2) what are the chances like for a replacement, if its a ‘manufacturer defect fault, if not what would be the likely outcome. ( just to mentally preparing myself)

DJI will have access to the much larger DAT log on the aircraft itself, which won't have any gaps in the data. That may tell them definitively what happened. If it was a motor failure they will almost certainly replace under warranty.

DJI will have access to the much larger DAT log on the aircraft itself, which won't have any gaps in the data. That may tell them definitively what happened. If it was a motor failure they will almost certainly replace under warranty.

Hope that thats the case,

Then my next doubt would be, if dji deem its a motor failure fault, and do a replacment .
1) would it be brand new ac?

As i read some threads, many mentioned dji will send a refurbished ac for repairs and replacement, instead of the original set the owners sent or a new set.

Is this true?

I am sure it would be new. Just get the drone off to DJI and get this sorted. You have so much data to give them now and I am sure you will get a replacement.

Good luck dude

I am sure it would be new. Just get the drone off to DJI and get this sorted. You have so much data to give them now and I am sure you will get a replacement.

Good luck dude

Many thks for your kind words bro,
Appreciate it!

Had already sent dji all the datas they requested,
In fact i sent them datas from day 1 of my flying as its only 1 month old ac, actually not that much of datas compare to some with years of flying experience.

Do sincerely hope that dji will be fair in their investigation and offer me some options.
According to some members post here, im not having high hopes though. Finger crossed.

Many thks for your kind words bro,
Appreciate it!

Had already sent dji all the datas they requested,
In fact i sent them datas from day 1 of my flying as its only 1 month old ac, actually not that much of datas compare to some with years of flying experience.

Do sincerely hope that dji will be fair in their investigation and offer me some options.
According to some members post here, im not having high hopes though. Finger crossed.
Yeah I know a few have had bad experiences with DJI after a crash, but i have never heard of them doing bad stuff when there is clear data like with yours. Something certainly happened and it was nothing to do with you. I think you will get lucky and get a new drone. Let us all know what happens.

Yeah I know a few have had bad experiences with DJI after a crash, but i have never heard of them doing bad stuff when there is clear data like with yours. Something certainly happened and it was nothing to do with you. I think you will get lucky and get a new drone. Let us all know what happens.

Thks bro for your words of encouragement!

Actually i have spoken to quite a few dji support staffs, i have nothing but praise for them,
they are so amazingly helpful, not to mention very knowledgable in help me out, from extracting the datas (from a computer dummy like me) to submitting this case and keeping me updated!

i will sure update whatever outcome, to have a closure here for the kind souls who had given me encouragement and advices ! didnt expect this thread to go this long though..Lol

i guess i in the right forum ! amazing members here.. cheers

Reactions: Point Zero
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload