DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Flight Video Question

ccurry

Reactions
Hello, forgive me if this sounds like a ignorant question but more than likely it is and I’m just overreacting.

I’m new to the drone world so I’m still trying to figure out every little thing that happens.

Anyways, so here is the question and or possible issue that I am dealing with: When flying full throttle forward in normal mode with the Mavic air and then releasing the joysticks when coming to a complete stop the drone will stop by tilting somewhat, when it does this at least on my end and not all the time, you will see a slight bounce or movement in the video at the point of stop. That’s fine because I don’t use the end of footage anyways. The bounce or movement is very faint and almost unnoticeable. I will all add that the rest of the video is perfect with no movement at all.

So my question is, is the slight bounce in footage normal when stopping in this manner? I would assume so since the drone is coming in fast and has to stop, so it tilts itself or tries to stop suddenly. This makes sense but my brain won’t stop thinking about it. Maybe I should learn how to stop better?

Does your Mavic Air do this? Do you think it’s just the drone doing it’s thing to compensate for the stop? Do you have movement at the end of footage when stopping suddenly (letting joysticks go back to the middle)

Anyways, any feedback I will take in and use. I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
It's going to be like anything coming to a dead stop when traveling forwards at speed. The forward motion has to go somewhere so it will tilt the drone then level up when the motion is lost.
The drone is no different in this respect than a car skidding or you going over the handlebars of your bike if you slam the front brakes on.

The fact you are seeing minimal movement in your footage is testament to how well DJI have mounted the camera so it reacts to sudden movements like this.

I'm sure those who know the workings of the motors might chime in here, but I can't see constant sudden "braking" of the drone like this over long periods being very good on them but I may be wrong?

If it really is bothering you, I think you said it perfectly yourself really: Learn how to stop better:D

Reactions: ccurry
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your feed back. This is exactly what I was already thinking but wanted confirmation. I don’t slam the brakes when coming to a stop, but more or less release the thumb sticks so to speak. I’m thinking the best way to stop is to keep the thumbs on the sticks until centered.

With that being said have you noticed movement in the video when you stop? Also what is the best way to stop? I don’t want to cause strain on the motors either.

I'd class just releasing the stick the equivalent of slamming the brakes on.
If you are going full steam ahead, then suddenly release, the drone has to try and stop where it is, hilding it's position.
As said, in a car, the momentum would skid it forward and so, the drone will tilt.

I've not noticed it in videos on the Pro but I don't fly it that way.
I have a Spark that I will buzz around in Sports mode and, yes, It's noticable.

Planning your flight better will help. Instead of flying all guns to where you want to stop, ease off beforehand and gradually release the stick until the drone is at a nice speed coming to where you want it to stop.

By the way, don't just take my word that it will strain the motors. I'm just throwing it out there.
Someone might say they are designed to take these movements so nothing to worry about, especially as DJI have added such option with the sports mode.

Thank you again, I appreciate the help. I will change it up going forward. For some reason my brain always wants to go to the extreme with these things (as in did I buy a lemon). I will just continue practicing from here on out with it.

Other than easing up on the throttle stick, you could also decrease the "Brake" setting in the following section of DJI GO. That will give the Mavic Air more time to stop (which will smooth out the braking).

DJI-GO-Brake.jpg

If you decide to adjust this setting, it would be best to do it while flying so you can see how the Mavic Air performs with the new setting. And make sure you test it out above all obstacles so the Mavic Air does not accidentally coast into an obstacle.

I think cinematic mode modulates this braking effect.
...If you decide to adjust this setting, it would be best to do it while flying so you can see how the Mavic Air performs with the new setting. And make sure you test it out above all obstacles so the Mavic Air does not accidentally coast into an obstacle.
I would also add that if you use cinematic mode or adjust the braking response, you can hit the RC pause button for an "emergency stop" if you find yourself drifting into an obstacle. This works on the MP and I am assuming it also works on the MA. You can test it to be sure.

Other than easing up on the throttle stick, you could also decrease the "Brake" setting in the following section of DJI GO. That will give the Mavic Air more time to stop (which will smooth out the braking).

View attachment 40461

If you decide to adjust this setting, it would be best to do it while flying so you can see how the Mavic Air performs with the new setting. And make sure you test it out above all obstacles so the Mavic Air does not accidentally coast into an obstacle.

Thanks for the replies! This is great stuff.

the mavic has to apply reverse thrust in order to stop,this is where the tilting comes in at.
if not for this it would just cruise on until forward velocity is exhausted and you dont want that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harrisonford