DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SeaThruLens

Reactions
I've been following the forum since I purchased my MA and learned a ton so I thought I would share my flotation system. It is as streamlined as I could come up after testing every option I could find out there.

I will start by saying I am in Florida and on the coast so piloting over water was one of the main reasons I wanted to fly. Having a safe and effective recovery system in case of failure is essential.

The big styro balls made a flight in the wind a little too unstable for slow shutter photography.

The getter back seemed awkward to mount with the sensors and while never tested, like anything, has the potential to fail, get tangled, and quite frankly was not confident one buoy you surface with the weight of the MA.

I tried small fishing "cigar" floats but the styro seemed too dense and after practical testing with just fishing line and weights was not confident in them.

So one more trip to tackle shop I saw the kayak rod floats. They seemed like the perfect fit.
-more aerodynamic than the styro balls.
-secure mount using leg extensions.
-Confident they will float the MA
-2 color to help orientation
-does not block lights or sensors
-opens up to allow the antenna signal (not sure if the foam blocks any more than the plastic on the leg extension)
-very easy on / easy off.

Would not use these to land in water, RECOVERY ONLY.

Attachments

• 00039364705252-L.jpg
    00039364705252-L.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7092.JPG
    IMG_7092.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7090.JPG
    IMG_7090.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_7089.JPG
    IMG_7089.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
I like this setup, and I think it's one of the more subtle ways to add floats without impairing the flight characteristics of the Air.
Dumb question: have you already tested if they can hold the Mavic's weight with the battery?

I like this setup, and I think it's one of the more subtle ways to add floats without impairing the flight characteristics of the Air.
Dumb question: have you already tested if they can hold the Mavic's weight with the battery?

I have tested the actual weight (16 ounce of fishing weights) and they easily float it. This does not accurately take into account weight distribution/ dispersion and buoyancy of plastic. These are actual positive buoyancy so in my very unscientific conclusion. Good to go.

Reactions: MrRobville
Will they stay on if the aircraft falls in the water upside down? Remember the "buttered side down" law.

Will they stay on if the aircraft falls in the water upside down? Remember the "buttered side down" law.

Yes. On the back the velcro loops through the rear leg extension which is snapped on by a clip at the top. On the forward leg extensions, they are held on by the velcro straps and friction. It is possible water could cause the front legs to slip out. I am considering modifying it by drilling a hole in the bottom part of the leg and permanently tie wrapping it to the extension. The front legs extensions are not as secure so it could still fail by the extension coming off. I still am looking for a vendor that has front leg extensions that snap on like the rears.

Attachments

• IMG_7096.JPG
    IMG_7096.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
It would be interesting to make a wooden mock up of the Mavic, about the same weight with floats attached and toss it high into the air, letting it crash into the water to see if the floats would stay attached. Also letting it get thrashed about in the waves would be a good test.

Reactions: SeaThruLens
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000