DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air fly-away - what gives?

I check gps signal but also the channels. Even with good gps a bad area can start to
Get inference 100m out
Maybe I'm just not getting it. What is gps signal and what is gps channels?

Sorry bud, gps strength or number of satellites to me is one check. The other is in the wifi channels for connectivity. I check both of these things.

Sorry bud, gps strength or number of satellites to me is one check. The other is in the wifi channels for connectivity. I check both of these things.
I get it now. IMHO it's better to check gpsHealth instead of the number of satellites. gpsHealth covers satellite issues, i.e.it will be low if there are a low number of sats. And, gpsHealth can be low for other reasons as I described above.

Reactions: rfc
I think it would be part of the process in those experiences the pilot had, even it's negative or a positive one. Experience is all it takes to make a good pilot :)

I get it now. IMHO it's better to check gpsHealth instead of the number of satellites. gpsHealth covers satellite issues, i.e.it will be low if there are a low number of sats. And, gpsHealth can be low for other reasons as I described above.
I'm pretty sure that DJI will point out a low number of satellite as a reason for loss of aircraft, regardless of GPS health!

Can someone please explain how to chech Orientation or what are the steps? Maybe a stupid question but I am also a beginner and for this reason I have my Mavic Air for 3 days now and haven't flown a bit. Just reading posts and trying to get the most out of it.
Also if you guys post the main things (checklist) that you do before flight will be also appreciated!

Reactions: FL1H1
Can someone please explain how to chech Orientation or what are the steps?
Set your Mavic Air on the ground and power it on. You'll see a red aircraft symbol on the map in DJI GO. Make sure the aircraft symbol is pointing in the same direction your Mavic Air is pointing. Also, make sure the aircraft symbol is not slowly spinning as your Mavic Air is sitting on the ground.

Can someone please explain how to chech Orientation or what are the steps? Maybe a stupid question but I am also a beginner and for this reason I have my Mavic Air for 3 days now and haven't flown a bit. Just reading posts and trying to get the most out of it.
Also if you guys post the main things (checklist) that you do before flight will be also appreciated!
Look at the red triangle heading indicator on the Go App map display. This has to be consistent with the Mavic's actual heading.
triangle.jpg

Reactions: FL1H1 and Rampage
Set your Mavic Air on the ground and power it on. You'll see a red aircraft symbol on the map in DJI GO. Make sure the aircraft symbol is pointing in the same direction your Mavic Air is pointing. Also, make sure the aircraft symbol is not slowly spinning as your Mavic Air is sitting on the ground.

THANK YOU!

This is the single most effective measure to prevent launch time fly aways. It's really unfortunate that DJI doesn't mention this in any of the documentation.

Reactions: radman and Rampage
We shall dub it the "BudWalker Check". While such a simple concept, you're the first person I've seen mention it.

Reactions: MavicCF and sar104
We shall dub it the "BudWalker Check". While such a simple concept, you're the first person I've seen mention it.

Agreed. I was using a cell phone magnetometer app to survey the takeoff location until @BudWalker pointed out that this is much simpler and arguably more robust.

Agreed. I was using a cell phone magnetometer app to survey the takeoff location until @BudWalker pointed out that this is much simpler and arguably more robust.
Well, that might be a bit much. :) We could call it the BudCheck, named after my cat Bud. But, that's also a bit much. I'm afraid we'll have to go with something informative, although boring, like "heading check" or "Yaw check"

Reactions: Rampage
Well, that might be a bit much. :) We could call it the BudCheck, named after my cat Bud. But, that's also a bit much. I'm afraid we'll have to go with something informative, although boring, like "heading check" or "Yaw check"

Budcheck sounds like a beer. That works.

Reactions: MavicCF
Compass recalibration?
But, it isn't a calibration and it's not really a compass check. All the YawCheck is doing is determining if the AC's idea of heading (i.e., it's Yaw value) is incorrect. It can be incorrect for different reasons but the YawCheck doesn't determine why it's incorrect, just that it is incorrect.

I have a P2V+ and compass calibration is recommended if changing locations. I was pretty pedantic about it though and would calibrate before every flight doing the compass calibration dance.

As a Mavic pro newbie, I'm reading this with interest, and there's some very interesting tips here. I have posted before that a really really thorough check sheet should be made available somewhere for noobs. Someone got a little annoyed by my regarding most pre flight check lists as 'ridiculously simple' but I made a few valid points, got a bit of support from other noobs and he seemed in the end to see my point of view.

I'm astounded at how many noobs here lose their drones on first, second or third flights but I also say, what do we all expect when too many check lists almost boil down to propellors in good order and firmly fixed in place? Battery secure? Fine, plonk on ground and take off! ! : ) OK, a slight exaggeration but only slightly. For noobs, most are far too simple.

Thing is, I'm reading of people who's drone shot off and was ultimately discovered in a nearby neighbours tree. Another returned to its owners house where it was first flown ( it also amazes me how many fly it out of the box in their home, or back garden) but I'm looking at these examples thinking they're lucky it got home, or ended up in a tree. Only a matter of time before one crashes into a moving car and causes an accident resulting in all sorts of restrictions on their use that will do none of us any good. I'm too new myself to address this but think it needs to happen and fast.

Reactions: Rampage
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh