DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air indoor flight

dgd3

Reactions
Is there a discussion thread on this forum about Mavic Air indoor flight?

Do you mean flying in your house? Not a great idea.

Do you mean flying in a large, empty gymnasium? That would certainly be doable.

Do you mean flying in your house? Not a great idea.

Do you mean flying in a large, empty gymnasium? That would certainly be doable.
Anything.
I just want to hear about it.
I learned it sure would have been nice to have vertical collision avoidance. Props drill out ceiling tiles pretty good.

In general, it's not a good idea to fly in any confined spaces. The Mavic Air was built to fly outdoors.

Reactions: Turn11
If sensors is on it would hardly move but if off it can..but more care with atti sometimes it swings. I does this to drain my batts or test after some updates etc.

I have plucked up the courage to try this cautiously a couple of times at home (with prop guards and other precautions). I found mine remarkably stable.

Slightly unexpected for me was the amount of down draft.

I also decided to test the automated take-off (to 4ft) which also worked. I could take my time to test the front and rear sensor reliability, to warn about the proximity to objects, as well as the craft's limits of actively blocking flight in those directions.

I also checked on an idea I came across on the internet of disabling the down sensors to allow landing on my outstretched hand. I won't do this in practice but it is nice to know I could if I absolutely had to.

I am a newbie, and cautious rule-abider by nature, so would appreciate any advice from those with more experience about testing in the indoor environment.

I decided to prepare for this by practising for a few hours on the DJI flight simulator which offers an option of flying around objects in something that looks like a hanger.

As a general comment about the flight simulator, for me I found it helpful in fitting in some air time to a busy life. The outdoor scenarios include gusty wind conditions and allowed me to improve my reaction times and practice different ways of handling the controller; including the change to a pincer grip on the controls instead of just thumb only.

I have done it, but just to drain my batteries.. As mentioned not a good idea unless you have large, empty room in your house/garage etc.

What is your exact use case?

I'm not the OP; for me it was to test and familiarise myself with some basic functions and the menu layouts in the Go 4 app, as daylight hours shrunk towards the winter months.

I knew I was better at focusing on something new and mentally testing in a quiet space on my own, than doing the same in an outdoor setting watching out for kids and dogs, etc. It was just to get started until I feIt I had reached a minimum safe level of competency.

Got it. I found flying indoors is harder and more dangerous than outdoors. This is due to confined space etc..

Turn off the sensors, put the fenders on, snug up your hearing muffs, take off and go immediately into tripod mode. I do it as I can, even in my own home (for practice). Interior home shots with a drone for real estate agencies, give a much differing perspective.

Reactions: Vimana
I fly my spark indoors with the phone only. Great for blowing sheet music off the piano and scattering just about everything else. My dogs kind of imitate turtles and move off to a quieter area. I've learned that spackle comes in tubes now...just right to hide the occasional sideswipe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet