DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air is great BUT something is Missing

Zzzoom3

Reactions
1 of the things DJI has skillfully avoided, not a single mention in any press article I have seen, Air is missing OcuSync! How can you have the name "Mavic" on your product and not include OcuSync?

You may be saying to yourself, "why do I care"? You may not care, but if you are a DJI Goggles user (and they are totally awesome), then you will have to use a cable to connect with the goggles!!

Oh Gawd .. say it isn't so DJI :(

Maybe because it folds....you know, like the other Mavic's?

Did you buy one thinking it was better equipt and cheaper than a mavic pro?
I wouldnt say it was hidden by any stretch of your imagination. It has been brought up in all 900 of the mavic air threads here.

Did you buy one thinking it was better equipt and cheaper than a mavic pro?
I wouldnt say it was hidden by any stretch of your imagination. It has been brought up in all 900 of the mavic air threads here.
I don't find it mentioned anywhere on DJI site. Not in specs, no footnotes, not mentioned in press.

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 9.05.08 PM.png

And how do we know the Air's lack of occusync is a big negative? Maybe it's much improved over the Spark. Wait for more info to come in.
Because OcuSync is DJI's digital data link implementation. Mavic Pro is the only DJI drone product you will find it in. I find it surprising they would leave it out of any "Mavic" branded product since this is where they introduced it and what enables all the wireless communication used with Mavic Pro, controller, DJI goggles.

You can buy it as a 3rd party product for use in racing drones or any other device you want to include a low latency, higher resolution, long range video link

Hey I just went to the DJI site and found that and posted it .

Maybe you should do your homework before purchasing? Also, there are a plethora of threads in here talking about wifi/Occusync. Comparing the wifi on the Air to a wifi hotspot is laughable. I have watched several videos of people flying 3KM+
WiFi? Seriously? How far do you get from your WiFi HotSpot before you drop signal? This is a High latency signal with degrading video quality and limited range
Maybe you should do your homework before purchasing? Also, there are a plethora of threads in here talking about wifi/Occusync. Comparing the wifi on the Air to a wifi hotspot is laughable. I have watched several videos of people flying 3KM+.

1 of the things DJI has skillfully avoided, not a single mention in any press article I have seen, Air is missing OcuSync! How can you have the name "Mavic" on your product and not include OcuSync?

You may be saying to yourself, "why do I care"? You may not care, but if you are a DJI Goggles user (and they are totally awesome), then you will have to use a cable to connect with the goggles!!

Oh Gawd .. say it isn't so DJI :(

I'm not buying the Air because no Ocusync, :(

Zzzoom3, I wasn't saying occusync wasn't superior to wifi, just that we don't know yet how much of an improvement the Air's wifi is over the spark'. Maybe it is improved enough that it's only a minor con for the Air vs the MP, except for those really into using the goggles. Same for other Air pros and cons; let's see how well they are implemented. One thing's for sure, on paper at least the Air has a lot of important pros over the MP, pros that for many even non-casual drone enthusiasts may well turn out to outweigh the cons. Let's see.

Maybe you should do your homework before purchasing? Also, there are a plethora of threads in here talking about wifi/Occusync. Comparing the wifi on the Air to a wifi hotspot is laughable. I have watched several videos of people flying 3KM+

Yeah, I did my homework and you shouldn't be flying 3KM+ as you are beyond LOS.

WiFi is slow, OcuSync is fast. Does the Air not having OcuSync mean it sucks? Nope but I still find it surprising and DJI wants you to think it is all the same but its not.

Why it matters:
  1. At 3KM+, the video you are seeing is delayed such that any control input you make to avoid something will be too late
  2. Within LOS, you want the video feed to have as little delay as possible (such as if you are wearing goggles) so reaction time is minimized
The numbers:
  • Mavic Air Enhanced WiFi: 170 - 240 ms
  • Mavic Pro OcuSync: 160-170 ms
  • DJI Goggles w/Mavic Pro OcuSync: 110 ms
  • Racing Edition Goggles OcuSync: 50-70 ms

Reactions: kiwi flyer
They have NOT hidden the fact that the Air uses wifi and not occusync.
There have been countless discussions on the forums regarding this.................
I didn't say the have hidden it. I said they "skillfully avoided it"

• Racing Edition Goggles OcuSync: 50-70 ms
I fly racing drones as well, but even 50ms delay is unusable there.
At 100km/h = 27.78m/s you are moving 1.4m in 50ms. You would hit a lot of stuff with this much delay.
There is a reason FPV racing is done with analog signals with hardly any delay.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard