DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Low Noise Propellers?

I just came back from a drone friendly park, but unfortunate it was too windy and gusty (25+ mph) to do any instrumented sound measurements.

I was able to do some subjective comparisons between the stock, Anafi and MA props. Also did a side by side with a friends Mavic Pro.

The MA are a definite improvement from the stock props. They are lower in frequency and a little quieter. However the Anafi props were still quieter than the MA props.

Another interesting observation is that the MA made a stuttering sound during its take off before stabilizing. It could be the high winds, but I’ve also experienced this behavior with the Anafi props before as well. The stocks don’t exhibit this behavior. Perhaps due to the stock props being stiffer. A little hard to describe but I have it captured on video.

I haven’t tried any flight time tests since it was way too windy. But flight performance on normal and sport mode seemed to be about the same from my limited testing.

Compared to the Mavic Pro (not 2) with stock props, the Mavic Air with the MA props or anafi props are still louder.

SO OVERALL, I’m quite happy with these MA props because they are quieter and less annoying while still fitting in the little Mavic Air carrying case which I could not do with the Anafi props

I recorded some videos which I’ll have to process tonight.

Hmm sounds like the motors are pulsing/hunting alot or is that just the vid? And chance a vid comparing the stock props in the same environment?

I think it's a combination of the cell phone being used for the video, and how windy it was. The new props are significantly better with the noise. I'll try to do a better video at some point. I just wanted to get a quick video out for everyone.

I think I'm going to take my quick video I made showing how they sound that I recorded with a cell phone down.... This guy just took it to another level. Lol

Reactions: wheresmydrone
I think I'm going to take my quick video I made showing how they sound that I recorded with a cell phone down.... This guy just took it to another level. Lol
Just watched/listened to both videos. Your's is still a good comparison in a real world scenario.
The An-echoic chamber just allows you to distinctively hear the difference between the props when isolating just their sound.
If you were going to do a re-do, do a DJI v MAS comparison at various observed distances (5, 20, 50, 100m) and similar altitudes. Though I presume it will be difficult to distinctively pickup audio beyond say 50m/200ft).
Personally I think where the MAS props will shine is at higher altitudes, the lower audible pitch will dissipate more, at higher distances.

My props arrived faster than I needed :mad: and finally got the chance to check them out.....

LOVE THEM! .. Literally, I'm in love! :eek:
Sound is lower - thats perfect, Flight is longer (I think I got about a 1minute or so more on the battery)
But the real deal is in Sport mode. My little beasty was unleashed :p

I was worries that lowering RPMs would be bad for stability. No such thing. Actually the MAS Stealth props were performing better no matter what I did.

My verdict (ordered in what matters to me most):
- Sound is truly better
- Flight time is better
- They still fold and fit in the same travel case
- Perfect handling in sport or normal modes
- No vibrations on the frame or video
- No motor warming

WELL, THERE IS ONE THING MISSING, I want COLORS.
So please, Master Airscrew, do some colors, could be boring white or orange once as used to for the Mavic Pro.
CHEERS

Reactions: Murdo 1
My props arrived faster than I needed :mad: and finally got the chance to check them out.....

LOVE THEM! .. Literally, I'm in love! :eek:
Sound is lower - thats perfect, Flight is longer (I think I got about a 1minute or so more on the battery)
But the real deal is in Sport mode. My little beasty was unleashed :p

I was worries that lowering RPMs would be bad for stability. No such thing. Actually the MAS Stealth props were performing better no matter what I did.

My verdict (ordered in what matters to me most):
- Sound is truly better
- Flight time is better
- They still fold and fit in the same travel case
- Perfect handling in sport or normal modes
- No vibrations on the frame or video
- No motor warming

WELL, THERE IS ONE THING MISSING, I want COLORS.
So please, Master Airscrew, do some colors, could be boring white or orange once as used to for the Mavic Pro.
CHEERS

Great review, glad you were able to evaluate them so quickly.

So how do you check that the RPMs were going lower with the MAS vs stock? Also did you experience any of the stuttering or the occasional loud buzzing during flight?

Seems also that the master airscrew props have that distinct flutter sound similar to the anafi props. The anafi props on the anafi does not have this, so i assume the reason for this sound is that the tips of the props on the mavic air are a) very close to each other, b) the fact the anafi props and master arnt as stiff -they flutter when they get close to the opposite props .. hmm

I've experienced the flutter/buzzing sound on stock props, I believe the reason behind that is they were not as stiff as they were when new, plus I had "encouraged" the fatiguing a little.
Replaced them and the fluttering sound went away.Thumbswayup

Long of the short, is it's likely the flexible nature of the prop blades making the flutter buzzing sound.
Just need to get the approval from the wife to put in an order for MAS props. Just the written reviews alone have me salivating for a lower pitch quad.

Great review, glad you were able to evaluate them so quickly.

So how do you check that the RPMs were going lower with the MAS vs stock? Also did you experience any of the stuttering or the occasional loud buzzing during flight?

Not as thorough as I want to. Just 4 batteries so far.
I measured the rpms with an optical gauge. Not precise, but I got something like 14k vs 12k rpms. I did this in hover in my living room so the white ceiling worked great with the gauge.

Hope to have some more time to fly on the weekend. But no stuttering or buzzing so far.

The winds have subsided, so I was able to run a few outdoor tests. Hope you guys find this helpful. Also at the end of the video, I experienced an instance of the stuttering with the MAS props. However that was under wind gust and a slow takeoff. I've enlarged the video hoping to show how the Mavic Air gimbal compensates for the stuttering.

Ni
The winds have subsided, so I was able to run a few outdoor tests. Hope you guys find this helpful. Also at the end of the video, I experienced an instance of the stuttering with the MAS props. However that was under wind gust and a slow takeoff. I've enlarged the video hoping to show how the Mavic Air gimbal compensates for the stuttering.
nice! So anafi blades win :) i wonder how they compare flight time, on the same
Batt indoors without wind

Excellent test thanks and the Anafi props are by far the quietest! - But am I right in saying that unlike the MAS props, the Anafi props don't fit on the MA out of the box right? So can I ask what method have you used to fit the Anafi props to the Mavic Air? Thanks again for your excellent videos - well done :)

Ni

nice! So anafi blades win :) i wonder how they compare flight time, on the same
Batt indoors without wind

Yeah that would be an interesting test. The Anafi blades are quieter for sure. But depending on the wind conditions it may also generate a low frequency buzz sound.

I’ve also took it out today when it was rather windless and the MAS didn’t buzz too much today.

However the Anafi doesn’t perform as well in sports mode. It feels a little laggy and doesnt turn as sharply when I do a hard turn. But if you are doing videos and want to be discreet then it’s definitely a good solution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky