DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - Noise levels

Reactions
I'm curious about the Mavic Air noise levels but I don't see any reference to this on the official Specs page.

On the Casey N You Tube video he seems impressed by how quiet it is when it starts and takes off.

Anyone know what the noise level actually is? Oddly enough the noise levels of the Mavic aren't on the Mavic specs page anymore. Possibly I'm looking for the wrong words.

In this video, iPhonedo showed it's a little bit louder than the Mavic Pro Platinum (or the Mavic Pro with the 8331 props).

iPhonedo.jpg

In other comparisons on youtube I noticed that the Mavic Pro (standard props) was much quieter than the Mavic Air and the Spark. The decibel meter didn't lie.

EDIT: that's the video I meant. You beat me by 2 minutes :)

Reactions: Bwoody321
This is great info! I too have been trying to understand the noise status of the Air. Knowing that it's louder than the Mavic makes it easier for me to pass on the Air. I need something less noticeable when I fly, so this is definitely a step in the wrong direction with the Air.

I would have thought a smaller drone would have been quieter. It'll be interesting to see what direction the Mavic 2 goes with sound.

Reactions: Bwoody321
Smaller drone = smaller props = higher RPM for equal lift. Higher RPM = greater noise.

Reactions: Drzzit
Smaller drone = smaller props = higher RPM for equal lift. Higher RPM = greater noise.

I’d have thought the reduction in prop size was in proportion to the reduction in drone weight, and so there’s no need for the props to run faster.

This is great info! I too have been trying to understand the noise status of the Air. Knowing that it's louder than the Mavic makes it easier for me to pass on the Air. I need something less noticeable when I fly, so this is definitely a step in the wrong direction with the Air.

I would have thought a smaller drone would have been quieter. It'll be interesting to see what direction the Mavic 2 goes with sound.

The Spark is so small most people think of it as a toy, not nearly as threatening as a bigger drone like the Mavic. Hopefully the Air will be the same.

That makes sense. Same thing with fans in a computer case. 120mm fans can spin more slowly than 60mm fans, while moving a lot more air.

That makes sense. Same thing with fans in a computer case. 120mm fans can spin more slowly than 60mm fans, while moving a lot more air.

That may be the case if you fit larger fans to a computer that previously had smaller fans. But that’s not what’s happening here. If the Air is smaller and lighter than the Pro, and the size of the props are reduced in proportion to the weight reduction of the drone, then they should spin at the same speed.

That may be the case if you fit larger fans to a computer that previously had smaller fans. But that’s not what’s happening. If the Air is smaller and lighter than the Pro, and the size of the props are reduced in proportion the weight of the drone, then they should spin at the same speed.

This is also true. :D

"if"

Lots of variables there. I haven't seen the specs on the motors, but I imagine with the size reduction of the Air, comes a reduction in the size of the motor too. Honestly, I was surprised it was as close to the MP pro as it was. It'll still be quieter than my Inspire, lol.

Well, the reason the Mavic Air’s props are smaller than the Mavic Pro’s props is because they have less work to do. That principle remains true whatever other variables may be in place.

I agree, all things being equal. That's why I said there's many variables. For the air to be quieter, or even as quiet as the MP Platinum, everything would have had to shrink in exactly the same ratio. With everything that goes into a drone I doubt that's happened with the air, thus why we have a louder drone.

Sorry, got to disagree. All being equal, smaller drone, lighter drone, smaller props, less noise

However, according to DJI specs, the Mavic Pro Platinum has unique technology to reduce perceived noise...

"Aircraft noise has been reduced by up to 4dB* (60% noise power) and extended flight time to 30 minutes with new FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs and 8331 propellers for a quieter, more enjoyable flight experience."

The 8331 props are just part of the tech. The other part is "new sinusoidal driver ESCs". That is why a Mavic Pro with 8331 props is still not as quiet as the Mavic Pro Platinum. I don't see any of this perceived noise reducing tech claimed for the Mavic Air.
Intuitively, though, the MA non-folding props just seem like they should be more efficient (quieter?) than equivalent folding props. Any aerospace prop engineers here?

It is possible for a smaller lighter drone to be noisier than a larger heavier drone. It depends upon what the engineers decided to prioritize on a particular drone (noise, flighttime, range, speed, video, cost, durability, etc).

A few variables for motors and props. I fly RC planes. We monitor the current from the battery so we don’t overload the ESC. I always stay 10A below the ESC rating. I do this by changing the prop diameter AND prop pitch. DJI must do the same thing too. Going to a higher pitch prop increases the current = less flight time given the same diameter prop. But you play with prop diameter and pitch to get the desired results; current draw, RPM, flight time, NOISE, etc. I’d like to see various props offered for drones. Then we could vary the prop to the conditions we want. Quieter, longer flight times, louder, shorter flight time, larger / smaller diameter, more / less pitch. All possible with the same ESC. (Electric Speed Control).

Its not only that the Platinum is more quiet but the prop noise and ECS's are producing a lower pitch sound that is not as annoying and also not attracting so much attention. My spark even being smaller does attract more attention when taking off. Every time I fly the Platinum, I am still amazed a the lack of noise, no more bees!

Having a Spark, Air and Platinum, the Air is by far the loudest. I can hear it at 300ft up and 1000ft away. The Spark sound doesn't carry nearly as far. The Platinum is easily most discrete sound wise. The Spark is so small people do not feel threatened(It's a lot of fun to fly due to it's agility)

Lowering the rpm of the prop's definitely reduces the noise level of the drone. It's not so much the sound dB - but also the pitch of the sound. It's not so intrusive when it drops from a 'swarm of bees' down to a 'flock of birds'. Running Master Airscrew prop's on my Mavic Pro Platinum reduces the rev's by about 400 rpm* on the hover, and that really makes a difference.
MavPro_MA.jpg [EDIT: * That's an rpm reduction on the Platinum 'quiet' prop's!]

I'm curious about the Mavic Air noise levels but I don't see any reference to this on the official Specs page.

On the Casey N You Tube video he seems impressed by how quiet it is when it starts and takes off.

Anyone know what the noise level actually is? Oddly enough the noise levels of the Mavic aren't on the Mavic specs page anymore. Possibly I'm looking for the wrong words.

Lots of YouTube videos measure it and everyone does it slightly different because there is no set standard for how far away to hold the dB meter.

My take after flying the Air and Mavic Pro back to back many times (I think the 2 drones that are most often compared from a noise perspective) is that the Air's higher pitch is what most people immediately perceive as being louder, even though from a measurement perspective it's hardly any louder. The Mavic Pro has a much lower pitch and it's generally easier on the ears for the 30 or so seconds that the drone might be hovering near you in a typical flight, but most of the time it is simply a non-issue IMHO. Smaller props = higher speed & higher pitch. Larger props with more surface area can spin slower and generate the same lift.

My general conclusion is that if I had to choose a drone to be flying over my head 24/7, yeah I wouldn't pick the Air, but none of the other drones are even remotely quiet and in my experience they all attract the exact same amount of attention when you are flying around people. Once you're a couple hundred feet away you can't even hear either drone if there is any ambient noise at all (like flowing water or traffic). At times I am happy to have the Air's higher pitch if I am having trouble locating it, and on the other hand the Mavic Pro is bigger and much easier to pick out in the sky - but that also means other people can see it more easily as well. Quieter is always better but with how loud every drone is by default, it doesn't even really factor into my decision.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr