DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or pro

patters1978

Reactions
Hi everyone

Currently I’m using a p3 professional and if I’m honest the drone limits my use by the sheer size of it. Now I’m not by any means a professional drone user and all of my video is for personal use but I may look to take my license and use for semi professional work at a later stage as I’m currently a semi-pro photographer and I feel it could expand my current offerings.

But for now I need something that is small that when I take my dog for a walk I can put in a back pack and easily set to fly and get in loads of practice something that I just can’t do with the p3 to fly that I have to set a day travel in my car etc etc it just isn’t as easy as a dlsr is.

So my choice Mavic Pro v Mavic Air?
I’ve done a lot of research and I’m still doing it and I like the air but really being put off my Wi-fi connection! I’d say most of my work is gonna closely filmed and in rural locations but I’m still concerned when spending so much money to get it right!

Anyone wanna help with the argument give experiences etc?

Cheers

There are many Pro vs Air discussions already. Search for them and you will get many different opinions.

I cannot vouch for the Air because I do not have one but the longer flying time, RC display, and Occusync connection would be reason enough to go with the Pro.

Yeah, there's existing lengthy discussion that should help you.

I have both, they both have positives and negatives. I do tend to fly the Air more, can't pinpoint why I just gravitate toward it more. Flight time is longer on the Pro so I tend to use that or my P4P for my Hyperlapses. General flying and filming with my Air, the 100mb bitrate on the Air makes a noticeable difference over the Pro especially with faster moving video. The Pro is quieter with the low-noise-props on. The distance isn't really an issue for me as I always fly line-of-sight, .

Reactions: JDawg
The Mavic Air's wifi connection is said to be 'enhanced wifi', not sure exactly what this means technically but if you compare it to your typical wifi router that might get 100m before loosing signal, the Mavic Air is specified at 4,000m (in the US)!! Now this waaaaaaaay beyond visual line of sight and likely further than you would ever need out walking the dog. For a portable drone for personal video use, there's just nothing better on the market. The Mavic Pro offers you further range, longer flight time and higher resolution video - do really need these things? The Mavic Air can be dragged out of a bag and literally thrown in the air and you're off flying, it also has internal storage and 3-way obstacle avoidance sensing (MP only has forward and downward). Sounds perfect for your needs.

Stop deliberating, buy the Mavic Air and go enjoy! :)

the Mavic Air is specified at 4,000m (in the US)!! Now this waaaaaaaay beyond visual line of sight and likely further than you would ever need
Until you get interference and the range is drastically decreased. There have been times where I was half a mile out with the Pro and getting interference which caused signal issues. I could only imagine the headache that using the Air would cause in those situations. Since the pro does have a longer max range, it also has a more reliable signal at shorter distances. People like to quote the advertised max distance and say "you will never need to go that far," and while that may be true, it sure is fun to try :).

the longer flying time, RC display, and Occusync connection would be reason enough to go with the Pro.
This x100. I had the air as my first drone. I was quickly turned off by the glitchy connection, and the shear loudness of the thing. I sold that thing so fast your head would spin, and got a pro. The pro is completely superior to the air (in my opinion).

Until you get interference and the range is drastically decreased. There have been times where I was half a mile out with the Pro and getting interference which caused signal issues. I could only imagine the headache that using the Air would cause in those situations. Since the pro does have a longer max range, it also has a more reliable signal at shorter distances. People like to quote the advertised max distance and say "you will never need to go that far," and while that may be true, it sure is fun to try :).
agreed. I have taken my pro out to 11,600 feet so far, and it STILL had 5 full bars of signal. dji really nailed it with this ocusync technology. It is rock solid.

You are in the exact same position as I was (except I have a P3 Advance not Pro). Since you have a fantastic bird for distance flight already, the distance advantage of the Pro isn't as important to you. And since you are looking for something to carry around when you walk and such, the Air being about half the size folded, and less weight is perfect for you, as it was for me.

If I only had 1 I would be torn between the pro and air, but would probably go pro. Already having a P3A for the rare times I need distance and will be driving to my location, the Air is fantastic for throwing in a backpack and having when you want it. I would definitely go that route for your situation and the few extra features and slightly better camera is just a bonus.

By the way, I brought this cheap hard case for the Air and controller when I just want to have it in my bag with me, although there is no storage for extra batteries, if I'm carrying it 'just in case', the one battery is ok, and I use my phone with he controller. It's about the size of my hand if I spread out my fingers.
s-l1600.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98