DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or wait for Mavic Pro 2....

I'm currently leaning toward getting the Mavic Air. Reasons:

1) First drone, so not replacing a Mavic Pro or anything
2) Not sure about my usage habits but I think I'm unlikely to be pushing range limits. If I am it's because I have gone full drone in which case buying the MP2 will probably follow anyway. :)
3) Trusting that extra batteries will make up for lower flight times (see #2, don't think I'll be doing marathon video shots).
4) Better video, better sensors
5) Smaller means more likely to take it with me
6) I'm impatient :)
Forgot 7) Sounds like the MP2 will be a step up in price (like Air was a step down); I'm more comfortable at the lower price point.

Certainly these reasons don't apply to everyone, fortunately we live in a world with many options! The WiFi does seem like the largest point of concern - it seems to work better for some people than others. If it doesn't work out that will probably be why.

...who am I kidding, if it doesn't work out it will be because I didn't read the manual and crashed it on the first flight. :)

Why not get the Spark for less money? Then you can practice and With the experience you’ll be a Pro when the MP2 comes out!

21927704-DD9F-4CB0-867D-F854777C3453.jpeg
I'm guessing because it's even more portable than a MP.

That and it’s cool as heck!!! I’ve owned everything but a Phantom and I truly don’t know why the Air was bashed before people even tried it. I think they allowed all of the non Air owners with negative comments persuade them. Out the box my air traveled further than my Inspire 2 without signal loss in a highly congested area. It’s truly an amazing tool. I use my Mavic more than I use my Inspire and I went with the Air as a back up to my MPro. The Air is an extremely capable drone and I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. 8ECFBAFF-1009-4873-BE5B-102EDAAA256F.jpeg

2) Not sure about my usage habits but I think I'm unlikely to be pushing range limits. If I am it's because I have gone full drone in which case buying the MP2 will probably follow anyway. :)
3) Trusting that extra batteries will make up for lower flight times (see #2, don't think I'll be doing marathon video shots).
Forgot 7) Sounds like the MP2 will be a step up in price (like Air was a step down); I'm more comfortable at the lower price point.

Certainly these reasons don't apply to everyone, fortunately we live in a world with many options! The WiFi does seem like the largest point of concern - it seems to work better for some people than others. If it doesn't work out that will probably be why.

...who am I kidding, if it doesn't work out it will be because I didn't read the manual and crashed it on the first flight. :)

Get a refurbished MavicPro dude (800 at dronenerds), the wifi control idea is "Cute" but NOT the way to go. The mavic goes anywhere it is very portable. I have after 13 months and 400 plus missions one issue. The CMOS sensor does have limitations for high end imagery. It is important to understand the Phantom 4 Pro is the least expensive drone (So far) with a 1" sensor and a mechanical shutter which helps with speed and fast moving objects much better. It is larger and I am reluctant to get for the same reasons you mention. But one way or another I see myself with a bigger sensor soon... Either MavicPro 2 or the P4Pro.

ON the distance thing - I find I have to be willing to break the law to go much past 2000 ft as it CAN NOT be seen anymore in most situations. The good news is that is a long way and I have never had a situation where I couldn't stay within sight to capture my subject. Long range flight might appeal to some but you WILL be breaking the law so I would not be talking about it as if you don't see the issues.

Reactions: HiKen51
ON the distance thing - I find I have to be willing to break the law to go much past 2000 ft as it CAN NOT be seen anymore in most situations. The good news is that is a long way and I have never had a situation where I couldn't stay within sight to capture my subject. Long range flight might appeal to some but you WILL be breaking the law so I would not be talking about it as if you don't see the issues.
Amen!

I would wait until the Mavic Pro 3 comes out next year!
It will have a feature whereby if you are low on battery power, it will “Transport” the machine back to you, like on Star Trek! Lol!
I think you should wait!
No point in buying a product now that will be better next round!

Reactions: inspiredbymavic
I’m sure DJI has some new magic features when they release Mavic 2. I cant imagine not having rearward sensors. I think the big focus will be on a new gimbal and camera.

Reactions: DCDronePilot
Wondering why u need Mavic Air after having inspire 2 and Mavic Pro

I fly the MP more and take it everywhere... it’s nice to have and additional pocket rocket for long days at the lake or beach. Check back with me after the MP2 is released. I’m sure that I will pull another excuse out of no where for having the Inspire2, MP, MP Air, and the MP2. On another note... I also had the Inspire 1 and hated it after problem after problem so it was sold. At the end of the day, if I like it I will buy it. They all seem to have their own personalities that draw me to them and the drone that is picked to accompany me from day to day depends on how I feel and what I plan to do.

Reactions: Neckcrank
I’m sure DJI has some new magic features when they release Mavic 2. I cant imagine not having rearward sensors. I think the big focus will be on a new gimbal and camera.

If Autel's EVO has rear collision sensors, a very good camera sensor (albeit not as good as the P4P or the supposed 1" coming on the MP2), and the purported $1,000 price tag, DJI had better come up with something good. Otherwise, it sounds like the EVO may draw people away from DJI, especially if the claimed $1,300-1,500 price tag is true.

I would wait until the Mavic Pro 3 comes out next year!
It will have a feature whereby if you are low on battery power, it will “Transport” the machine back to you, like on Star Trek! Lol!
I think you should wait!
No point in buying a product now that will be better next round!

Don't forget the "4D" sensors where it will look forward in time to detect and prevent crashes! :)

Reactions: jedburgh01

If it's your first drone I would probably go for the Mavic Air, but I love my Mavic Pro

Reactions: galfridus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242