DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air range in city

Too many variables to make a universal statement. One thing you can likely count on is considerably less than the advertised range. You could run into trouble within just a few hundred feet, or you could get a mile or more.

Variables include, but are not limited to:

Transmission type (2.4 vs 5.8)
Channel selection (auto vs manual)
WiFi congestion within those frequencies and channels
The weather
The time of day
The alignment of your antenna
Elevation and flying height
Obstacles in your line of sight
Etc

In other words, you really just have to experiment. If having the best range in a congested area is most important to you, maybe go with the Pro or another model using Occusync (though even then, the range will be affected by radio interference).

My anecdote is that I get around a mile in a mid-sized metropolitan city. Not New York. But not the rural farmland either. Sometimes I get live feed stuttering before that, but usual no disconnects out to about 3/4 to 1 mile.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Get a 4hawks antenna u will be good, lag free! And awesome range;) this is in 2.4....5.8 is even better!

When flying in my suburb neighbourhood using 5.8ghz I only get about 1.5-2km. All the 2.4ghz are unstable and I can't get past 500meters.
Question, so with 5.8ghz you get much better range then with 2.4ghz? Just started flying with MA and was told 2.4 ghz has better range.

Question, so with 5.8ghz you get much better range then with 2.4ghz? Just started flying with MA and was told 2.4 ghz has better range.

Depends.
If there are many other 2.4GHz Wifi around you, you might get better range with 5.8GHz since they are fewer and have higher attenuation due to shorter wavelength.
There is no universal answer.

My observation is 5.8GHz gives you better range in urban areas, 2.4GHz gives you slightly better range out in the countryside with few other wifi.

Reactions: Julien92 and adzic
Depends.
If there are many other 2.4GHz Wifi around you, you might get better range with 5.8GHz since they are fewer and have higher attenuation due to shorter wavelength.
There is no universal answer.

My observation is 5.8GHz gives you better range in urban areas, 2.4GHz gives you slightly better range out in the countryside with few other wifi.
Thanks a lot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78