DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air range question

We're not trying to attack you...we're just trying to explain that you are definitely in the minority with this particular issue. Based on what you're saying about the shop that sold it to you, I'm wondering if there was an issue with the unit and they knew about it.

Hi Verizon > No no not a chance. There was a pile of factory sealed boxes brand new and he asked me to pick any box i wanted (since i hinted it LOL) and then i cut open the seal myself. It must be just bad luck or maybe my areas are all super congested with WiFi.

Reactions: Verizondrone28
Hi Invisible, i only meant one member was making a fight out of it. Not you or the others. :). Sure thanks ill try the FCC hack and see if it helps. Again im not here to complain. I was responding to someone else by letting him know that im having problems like that too, that's all. I know i cant solve my problem, that's a different subject for a different day.
Good luck - I recommend the method that uses an Android device rather than the one that needs mucking about with the code via a Mac computer

I remember my first forum

Feel free to edit your posts 20x
You tell people to not read your post yet you don’t like mine and keep reading...

I known the internet is a scary place so take a break kiddo

You were the first to approach/reply me.

Byeeee dude.

Maybe more expensive, but it would appear by all the problems reported in this forum, more reliable! :p

Still not worth it from a pov of just flying this as a hobby, since it will be sitting around and only used on weekends and who knows, i might grow out of this hobby/addiction a little later as it seems too risky of a hobby with more pressure than enjoyment. But that's just my opinion, i thought it will be more enjoyable, doesnt mean its the truth or applicable to everyone (got to clarify everything else it starts arguements :)).

I just want a phone that would support the major features for now. There are a few androids listed as DJI doesnt say only Iphones will work with their app. So one of those phones is the Redmi Note 5 as given on the official AIR product page. But the phone has an e-compass, will an e-compass (electronic compass) work properly for drone orientation and map orientation etc ? Or does the phone need a magnetometer (or are they both the same) ?

Last edited:
Still not worth it from a pov of just flying this as a hobby, since it will be sitting around and only used on weekends and who knows, i might grow out of this hobby/addiction a little later as it seems too risky of a hobby with more pressure than enjoyment. But that's just my opinion, i thought it will be more enjoyable, doesnt mean its the truth or applicable to everyone (got to clarify everything else it starts arguements :)).

I just want a phone that would support the major features for now. There are a few androids listed as DJI doesnt say only Iphones will work with their app. So one of those phones is the Redmi Note 5 as given on the official AIR product page. But the phone has an e-compass, will an e-compass (electronic compass) work properly for drone orientation and map orientation etc ? Or does the phone need a magnetometer (or are they both the same) ?
I don’t think the device matters with regards to the compass, the drone gets its compass heading from its own in-built compass

I don’t think the device matters with regards to the compass, the drone gets its compass heading from its own in-built compass

Hi Invisible,

No i actually tried last week and my compass on the phone doesnt update or show the true direction of the drone. While its nose is towards me the phone shows (on the attitude indicator radar type thing) that its pointing away from me. And theres is no orientation update on the phone relative to the drone. Ive seen some YouTube videos where the doreon is hovering and when they turn the phone, the arrow icon on the radar thing also moves to still keep its nose towards the real nose of the drone. Mine doesnt do that. That is another reason why i want to get an exclusive phone which will show this. This is very important as for my maturing eyes i cant see the small drone when its far away and which way its pointing. Very important when we want to manually fly back to where i am.

I'm convinced after my tests that the Air uses the EXACT same transmission technology as the pro. They just couldn't call it ocusync since thats would kill pro sales, so just called it "enhanced wifi instead
What are other peoples thoughts on this?

I actually had the issue with my drone arrow in the map not showing the correct direction. Swapped to my wife’s phone and it worked so my older dropped phone had a damaged barometer

Hello Invisible !

Just got my new phone delivered (Redmi Note 5, hope this will help others in search for a reasonable priced phone just to fly your drone, 200 USD approx). So far everything works smooth, on the table, not taken to the skies yet. Interaction with the app is smooth so far. The screen is brighter than my prev phone which i used to fly with so this would be an upgrade in brightness for me at least, though its rated only around 500 nits.

Its an 18:9 screen ratio and is super wide. Yes, the DJI app scales correctly and fills the whole screen. On screen menus are nominally large enough to tap on etc compared to my previous 5" screen. The width of the phone just about maxed out when it sat in the handle-bar grips of the remote. Any wider and i would have had issues i think. Menus seem to be more responsive given the 4GB ram (2.5 GB RAM is always free with the OS and only DJI installed, nothing else is installed on the phone).

The fingerprint locking system is an added bonus as i used to have to key in my password every now & then when flying which was irritating. Speaker is loud so its nice for outdoor audibility.

The biggest bonus is now the compass feature works perfectly. I told you the phone needs to have the compass sensor :). The drone has its own compass, but you never get to see its real world direction & relative direction to the remote etc unless your phone has the compass sensor. This will be so helpful when i cant see the drone visible against the sky due to the distance, which is normal, i think most people cant see it after about 70-100 meters away. Now i can see its heading and know if RTH is bringing it in the right direction to me. I just rotated the drone on the table and the radar box (attitude indicator) shows its exact nose point direction relative to me. When i rotate the remote orientation then also the arrow maintains its correct orientation.

Sorry for the large post, but its so that if any other poor soul like me was lost on getting a reasonable priced phone that plays well with DJI's app, then this would be of some help.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Mavic Air outside US has many range issues, and the whole world except US is not the minority.

And don't tell me about FCC hack, I have done it, but it is illegal, and the truth is, that out of the box, ma is reliable only for us users.

Mavic Air outside US has many range issues, and the whole world except US is not the minority.

And don't tell me about FCC hack, I have done it, but it is illegal, and the truth is, that out of the box, ma is reliable only for us users.

That’s just not true to say the MA is only “reliable” for US users

Be aware!!!! Mavic air range issues

Drone unable to return home, I was capturing footage of a castle that was about 100 yards away from me as I was panning around the building I intermittently received a warning-Loss connection I glanced at battery life about 60% , I had just purchased the drone less than a month ago so like most newbies I didn't feel comfortable flying my drone after a warning of that importance (ohh sht $800). So as I'm turning the aircraft around to fly back, another out of range failure fault only this time for brief few seconds the screen freeze, as the feedback returned and the low battery warning comes on, I'm thinking this is strange I just had more than half battery life (the warning is set to the factory default ), at this point my heart starts to pound and I just want the aircraft back in my hands so I select the return home button, I can see the aircraft going up and ready to return home, the screen freezes then goes black again I'm looking up hoping to see the drone, about a minute or two later feedback returns I can see the aircraft is descending but is nowhere near where it's original launched location another warning aircraft unable to land (it's trying to land on water) I quickly exit the land command and I take over switched the drone to sport mode as its low in battery I start to climb again the screen goes black and the drone is never to be seen again. I tried to contact DJI not to get a free replacement but to see if they would work with me on the purchase of new drone, after all I have battery's controller props charger that are less than a month old."we can't help you our product is too new for discounts " Not bashing DJI products the few images I was able to capture are really good, I just think that as a leading company they could do a better job at taking care of their customers. Be ware they don't work well with their customers
I really believe this your experience is not an every day occurrence. It's one of such rare incidents.. I am using my MA in one of the worst places in the world to fly a drone and I've been impressed with this little drone capabilities. Although I agree with you that Dji need to be more friendly with their customers..screen_811e9ae278a661da_1536994918000.jpeg

That it's complete BS. Using both [EDIT : MP and MA] regularly and the Air has at most half the range.

Is that with obstacles between you and the drone or with clear LOS ? With clear LOS and in FCC mode the MA is probably only going to be limited by its battery life based on tests out there on YT. I've owned a Spark for 18 months and have enjoyed it a lot but the regular "low signal" warnings are getting a bit tiresome. I got a refurbed MP Alpine combo and was amazed at how it could "cut through" forests for a good kilometer. I was not impressed by its tilting horizon though on yawing or turning. The MA doesn't seem to have that "tilted horizon" problem but I'm guessing it won't "cut through forests" like the MP.

Like others have said you have no idea what your talking about. Im in the top 5 range leader board for the Air, and I'm convinced after my tests that the Air uses the EXACT same transmission technology as the pro. They just couldn't call it ocusync since thats would kill pro sales, so just called it "enhanced wifi" instead. The only limiting factor for the Air is its smaller battery, otherwise I'm pretty sure it could reach the 7km range of the Pro.
I've returned mavic air and rc two times close radius signal lost honolulu three different community public recreational parks were flown all warn strong aircraft interference (wheres airplanes and helicopters? none), all weak antenna signal, all signal lost close radius.
suspicion military broadcast jamming analogous to concrete bunker.
the first mavic air flew without such interferes but somehow whatever causes it, degrade.

so this thread informs the connected cellphone model can close radius interfere mavic air as in "signal lost", "strong aircraft interference", and weak antenna signal" ?
my galaxy s8 began mavic air without disconnection but later progressed into disconnects consistently and will not go away even with replacements

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d