DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air range vs. Mavic Mini?

100ft is a bit extreme but I agree DJI should have set some limits to how far/high the MM should go considering its small size and, as it now appears to be the case, the limited power of its motors. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to believe that DJI intended the MM to be a "bait" drone. Give people a little taste of the sUAV/camera drone experience at a cheap price point to expand its customer base for its larger drones.
I don't think many see it as this. In different forums mini owners are asking about max distance and height.

I don't think many see it as this. In different forums mini owners are asking about max distance and height.
Yep, and unfortunately Youtube videos are the same. It's misleading people into a false sense of security. I think DJI might have been hoping to get people into the hobby, but I think it's having the opposite effect. All the Mini's lost in the wind will put people off.

Yep, and unfortunately Youtube videos are the same. It's misleading people into a false sense of security.
The so-called "YouTube influencers" are a self-serving bunch except the few ones who still try to get a few objective views in between the mandatory praise. I watched a few YT reviews when the Mini came out, they were all praising the Mini's performance in windy situations. And now, look at what we are seeing here in this forum - a woefully tale of a mini lost to the wind every other day.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Yep, and unfortunately Youtube videos are the same. It's misleading people into a false sense of security. I think DJI might have been hoping to get people into the hobby, but I think it's having the opposite effect. All the Mini's lost in the wind will put people off.
I mean someone flew his mini out to sea and was surprised he lost connection when he flew it behind a large rock.

Not sure why people are even considering the MM with all the fly aways and bad news here on these forums. If it is the only because the weight and you don't have to register then maybe they should reconsider the hobby. The Air is a proven aircraft

Ok, so I recently purchased a Mavic Air Fly More Combo and have been doing some research online and watching YouTube videos regarding the pros and cons with the Mavic Air up against the Mavic Mini. A lot of the videos the range for the Mini is a lot more than the Air. Why would this be? I would think the Mavic Air would have a greater range than the Mini. Is there anything in the Mini that would give it an advantage as far as the signal goes for the overall range?

Just wondering since I'm debating on whether or not to return my Mavic Air and go with the Mavic Mini instead.

Thank you!
l purchase the Mavic air over the mini, because of more features in the mavic air. I also own a Mavic Pro 2.

I like very much the mode Smart Capture of my Mavic Air. I can fly by hand gesture and follow me method without using my RC and iPad during winter time. No hand freezing, less hassle to settle the drone for flying while skiing. I appreciate this option very much apart from all the other considerations expressed in that thread.

I have a mini and fly way higher than 30’ and way further than 100’. I fly safely and legally but am cautious about the wind. I check the UAV forecast regularly thanks to this forum. Mini bashing seems to be in vogue with some but, if flown within its limits, it’s a lot of fun and quite capable at 1/2 the price of the Air. Having said that, if cost were no issue, I’d get the Air or maybe something even better. They have a saying on another forum I frequent... “buy once, cry once!” The mini is a great little aircraft if operated within its limitations but 30’ high and 100’ distance is WAY out of line and extremely misleading to those considering a MM as a first drone. I believe that even $5,000 drones have limitations and their pilots are probably very cautious to stay within their capabilities.

Last edited:
Hahaha shes a gateway drug erh I mean gateway drone.

It worked with me :(
I had an FC40 years ago then when the Mini was released I had to have one to see what the fuss was about.
A few weeks later I'd decided how much I missed having a bigger drone so bought a M2P

Reactions: NZmxer
I have a mini and fly way higher than 30’ and way further than 100’. I fly safely and legally but am cautious about the wind. I check the UAV forecast regularly thanks to this forum. Mini bashing seems to be in vogue with some but, if flown within its limits, it’s a lot of fun and quite capable at 1/2 the price of the Air. Having said that, if cost were no issue, I’d get the Air or maybe something even better. They have a saying on another forum I frequent... “buy once, cry once!” The mini is a great little aircraft if operated within its limitations but 30’ high and 100’ distance is WAY out of line and extremely misleading to those considering a MM as a first drone. I believe that even $5,000 drones have limitations and their pilots are probably very cautious to stay within their capabilities.
I don’t think it’s misleading mate. Just my opinion, I’m not stating it as the actual limit of the drone, just what I think it should be. ??

Reactions: NZmxer
It worked with me :(
I had an FC40 years ago then when the Mini was released I had to have one to see what the fuss was about.
A few weeks later I'd decided how much I missed having a bigger drone so bought a M2P

I also had an FC40, that wifi camera.... and people complain today about not being able to fly 500m without losing a signal. You were lucky if the FC40 got 40!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
googleplazadorn