DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air range vs. Mavic Mini?

easyheimer

Reactions
Ok, so I recently purchased a Mavic Air Fly More Combo and have been doing some research online and watching YouTube videos regarding the pros and cons with the Mavic Air up against the Mavic Mini. A lot of the videos the range for the Mini is a lot more than the Air. Why would this be? I would think the Mavic Air would have a greater range than the Mini. Is there anything in the Mini that would give it an advantage as far as the signal goes for the overall range?

Just wondering since I'm debating on whether or not to return my Mavic Air and go with the Mavic Mini instead.

Thank you!

Based purely on spec's the MM and MA should have identical range up to a maximum of 4km in 5.8 ghz FCC mode.
They both transmit from the RC at 5.8 GHz: <30 dBm

However the MA can also transmit in 2.4ghz FCC:≤26 dBm
From a range perspective the MA is more flexible as you can swap frequencies to which one has the less interference

Last edited:
Reactions: easyheimer
Ok, so I recently purchased a Mavic Air Fly More Combo and have been doing some research online and watching YouTube videos regarding the pros and cons with the Mavic Air up against the Mavic Mini. A lot of the videos the range for the Mini is a lot more than the Air. Why would this be? I would think the Mavic Air would have a greater range than the Mini. Is there anything in the Mini that would give it an advantage as far as the signal goes for the overall range?

Just wondering since I'm debating on whether or not to return my Mavic Air and go with the Mavic Mini instead.

Thank you!
It must be battery life.

I understand the battery life is significantly less on the Air but I was asking about the transmission range. I just want to make sure I went with the right aircraft in the Mavic Air.
Go by the specs and your research. At 3000’ you’ll be out of VLOS without using bright strobes. With the best strobes and in the right light you can see it near 3 miles... weigh costs too as well as what you want to do with the drone. For a small drone, when not using my M2P m, I actually prefer my Spark even with it’s inferior gimbal. Point is it’s a personal decision. Best of luck.

More battery life = more range because you can keep going for longer. Also, exchanging the MA for the MM .... ? Don't know what to say to that.

Reactions: easyheimer
More battery life = more range because you can keep going for longer. Also, exchanging the MA for the MM .... ? Don't know what to say to that.

So you don't think it's a smart move? Saving money isn't an issue here. Just looking for the better drone of the two.

I understand the battery life is significantly less on the Air but I was asking about the transmission range. I just want to make sure I went with the right aircraft in the Mavic Air.

One thing you haven't factored into the equation is the fact that the MA can handle much higher wind speed.
It would be able to make flights in conditions the Mini could not operate in.

So range is really a mute point, for me the 2.8 mile range of a MA would be more than enough, a Mini maybe able to go further but the question is could it come back.

Isn't the US VLOS flight rules anyway

Also the MA top speed just dominates the Mini at 12 mph faster.

Last edited:
easyheimer the Air as a lot more options also they are both WIFI operated so will be same range wise the Air as Obstacle Sensing at back front and below the mini only as Obstacle Sensing below.the only benefit for mini is longer battery.thinking about getting a Air myself later on

easyheimer the Air as a lot more options also they are both WIFI operated so will be same range wise the Air as Obstacle Sensing at back front and below the mini only as Obstacle Sensing below.the only benefit for mini is longer battery.thinking about getting a Air myself later on

Thank you for the reassurance. I appreciate it.

So you don't think it's a smart move? Saving money isn't an issue here. Just looking for the better drone of the two.
The Air is the better of the two by a mile and a half. Better wind resistance, better camera, much more advanced camera control, and it is a proven product. It is also quite sturdy. The only thing the MM has going for it is the increased flight time. But in the end, only you know what suits your needs best.

But I will still say the mini isn't in the same class as the Air. If you have an opportunity to try one out, try the mini and see how it does compared to the Air before you make your decision.

Go with the Air, its the better drone overall. The ability to fly in stronger winds is very valuable. I'm seeing on YouTube people loosing their minis because they flew it in the same conditions as they did with the air.

The Air is a million miles better on the camera alone. It’s literally like a phone camera vs a dslr.

Reactions: Kelly Dickson
Since the Mini is smaller then the Air, I doubt that the range for the transmission is relevant. I can not really see my Air when it is further away then 300-350 meters, the transmission works most of the time fine. I guess I would not be able to see the Mini at that distance anymore, so the bigger range is not relevant.

Price is relative: in my experience, buying cheap is buying twice.
Correct but it depends what the drone if for. The mini would not work for me, the size is good but the ability to fly in stronger winds is what I need. Based on some youtube comments it seems many first time drone buyers with the mini dont understand this limitation.

Correct but it depends what the drone if for. The mini would not work for me, the size is good but the ability to fly in stronger winds is what I need. Based on some youtube comments it seems many first time drone buyers with the mini dont understand this limitation.

I would only buy the Mini for things like a day on the beach, or at the park with the dogs, and I certainly wouldn't take it any higher than 7 meters (30ft).
It's a personal drone in my opinion, for selfies and to learn on. it's very good at that - but people are expecting to be able to fly it like a full size Mavic. I really think DJI should have reigned in the maximum flight distance to no more than 100 ft.

100ft is a bit extreme but I agree DJI should have set some limits to how far/high the MM should go considering its small size and, as it now appears to be the case, the limited power of its motors. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to believe that DJI intended the MM to be a "bait" drone. Give people a little taste of the sUAV/camera drone experience at a cheap price point to expand its customer base for its larger drones.

I would only buy the Mini for things like a day on the beach, or at the park with the dogs, and I certainly wouldn't take it any higher than 7 meters (30ft).
It's a personal drone in my opinion, for selfies and to learn on. it's very good at that - but people are expecting to be able to fly it like a full size Mavic. I really think DJI should have reigned in the maximum flight distance to no more than 100 ft.
I agree with you on this.

Reactions: Lastrexking

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes