DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Range

Hi, first post here- got my Air after long contemplation- for me I’ll be using it for b roll filming for YouTube- I would rarely go over “1/4 mile. Today was my maiden flights- for testing I flew to a mountain top that is 1.2mi away - no problems until a little stutter in the video at the turn around point. My friend was having trouble with latency and breakup at short distances. We figured out his was stuck in 2.4ghz mode. Also a buddy told me about turning of cashing of video and maps to reduce latency. This was before my first flight but the video was great with no latency. I’d be willing to test the range further in the next few flights just for testing.
Here is my first day with the Air

Reactions: kymadmax and Whack
Air.PNG Little test with the Air did 3klms easy landed with 30% battery so there is still a bit more there yet

Reactions: Whack
Australia are neither FCC nor CE. So what power does the Tx operate at? I read on another DJI forum that DJI drones in Oz operate at CE levels. That can't be so in this case. 3km is huge. Must be in FCC mode.

I am having horrible range results with my new Mavic Air, I can't go further than 200 meters. Can't switch to 5.8ghz either, not even manually. I tried iPhone and Android phone, both the same problem. I am wondering if they sent me a defected Mavic Air, because 200m should not happen, not even in the most congested areas.

I am having horrible range results with my new Mavic Air, I can't go further than 200 meters. Can't switch to 5.8ghz either, not even manually. I tried iPhone and Android phone, both the same problem. I am wondering if they sent me a defected Mavic Air, because 200m should not happen, not even in the most congested areas.
Where are you located?

this doesn't sound right... Guy in Czech went out 2500m on 2.4ghz with CE Europe model. 200m just sounds wrong. NL should fall under the CE Tx power same as Czech.
the ones in China on 2.4ghz have same output power, and videos of those doing 1500m in congested RF area. 200m is not right.

crap I was affraid of that ... I ordered one aswell for in NL.
Friend of mine had the same issue's with the Spark in NL.
I also have a Mavic Pro, many kilometres without problems. Looks like OccuSync is more important than I thought. Will sell this piece of crap Mavic Air if I can't improve it somehow.

this doesn't sound right... Guy in Czech went out 2500m on 2.4ghz with CE Europe model. 200m just sounds wrong. NL should fall under the CE Tx power same as Czech.
the ones in China on 2.4ghz have same output power, and videos of those doing 1500m in congested RF area. 200m is not right.
Yeah I think mine is defected maybe. Will contact support.

Reactions: Mcgon
Yeah I think mine is defected maybe. Will contact support.
****. I hope its just a replacement is needed. Did you try fly anywhere rural outside of your town? Just to see if it improved at all?
I really hope you get it sorted and its not a product problem. I am on the fence and waiting to see a few more videos of people in Europe getting 1000+m then I am going to buy.

****. I hope its just a replacement is needed. Did you try fly anywhere rural outside of your town? Just to see if it improved at all?
I really hope you get it sorted and its not a product problem. I am on the fence and waiting to see a few more videos of people in Europe getting 1000+m then I am going to buy.
Will try that now. DJI already did offer me a replacement, but before replacing I will first try to see what happens in a rural area.

Reactions: Mcgon
Will try that now. DJI already did offer me a replacement, but before replacing I will first try to see what happens in a rural area.
nice one. At least you'll get a replacement if its the same in a more remote area. If you had said 700m I'd have been disappointed, but 200m, just sounds wrong. Either very strong local interference or defective unit, antenna not soldered right or something. good luck!!!

Please keep us updated in this

I’d like instructions on how to manually switch from 2.4 to 5.8
Yesterday I flew without any firmware updates and it was automatically on 5.8
Updated firmware last night and flew this morning- it’s stuck on 2.4 now. However not complaining- another long flight with no problems but I trust 5.8 for longer range
Any thoughts or tips?

I’d like instructions on how to manually switch from 2.4 to 5.8
Yesterday I flew without any firmware updates and it was automatically on 5.8
Updated firmware last night and flew this morning- it’s stuck on 2.4 now. However not complaining- another long flight with no problems but I trust 5.8 for longer range
Any thoughts or tips?
You shouldn't. a 2.4 signal should have longer range. Higher frequencies have a more difficult time penetrating obstacles and have a shorter range. It's like FM vs AM. FM sounds better because the higher frequency allows more information, but AM and it's lower frequency has a much, much greater range. You'll get a less glitchy video feed from the higher frequency, but a better range out of 2.4.

Hi, first post here- got my Air after long contemplation- for me I’ll be using it for b roll filming for YouTube- I would rarely go over “1/4 mile. Today was my maiden flights- for testing I flew to a mountain top that is 1.2mi away - no problems until a little stutter in the video at the turn around point. My friend was having trouble with latency and breakup at short distances. We figured out his was stuck in 2.4ghz mode. Also a buddy told me about turning of cashing of video and maps to reduce latency. This was before my first flight but the video was great with no latency. I’d be willing to test the range further in the next few flights just for testing.
Here is my first day with the Air
I remember u from helifreak ....the old blade 350qx days... gosh how far quadcopters come.....

You shouldn't. a 2.4 signal should have longer range. Higher frequencies have a more difficult time penetrating obstacles and have a shorter range. It's like FM vs AM. FM sounds better because the higher frequency allows more information, but AM and it's lower frequency has a much, much greater range. You'll get a less glitchy video feed from the higher frequency, but a better range out of 2.4.
My p4p consistently gets longer range on p4p...ya know why ??? Less crowded and higher dbm output then 2.4 DJI did it this way so the signal would be strong on 5.8 well it's the same with the Mavic air.... if you look at the specs page on DJI 5.8 has to dbm higher than 2.4 so theoretically they are both powerful and being that 5.8 is less crowded...= better results

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost