DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air raw still + Capture One

ccrisma

Reactions
While awaiting delivery of Mavic Air, I am doing my homework researching how (if?) I will be able to process raw photos using Capture One. I did multiple searches on this forum and Internet at large and did not find any specifics (apart from from existence of a "warm spot").
Specifically, I would like to know if Capture One will accept the raw files from Mavic Air. Under what profile?
Also, since this "warm spot" seems to be an issue for both Mavic Pro and Mavic Air raw files, I was wondering if someone who has processed these files in Capture One has some processing tips (or perhaps some "presets") he/she can share.
For still photography I by far prefer working with raw files, but it would (sadly) seem from another post ("The onboard MOV/JPG conversion counteracts most of the effect") that JPG may produce better results?
Thanks.

Capture One works with Mavic Air DNG files just fine (I'm using Capture One 11), but you'll need a fair amount of coaxing to deal with the… "issues"… that RAW files from the Air have out of the box.

Capture One just uses the "Generic" lens profile while importing. I've made a lens preset with 193 sharpness and 27 light falloff. I don't tend to need to straighten horizons, but a distortion value near 40 seems to be close.

lens_correction.png
As for the hot spot, that's a little more tricky. Capture One doesn't do radial gradients directly, which stumped me a little bit until I realised you can achieve mostly the same effect with a big, soft brush.

I made a new layer and with a very large, very soft brush I put a big blob in the middle of the image. You'll need to experiment as I don't think mine is perfect, but against an uncropped image, my mask looks like this:

mask.png
Unfortunately, in Capture One you can't link values in layers to be deltas of the underlying values. I've found that to get rid of the hot spot, you take the underlying white balance and subtract 310 for the value in the mask layer, and take the underlying tint a subtract 5.5 for the value in the mask layer.

These values are just from rough eyeballing - it might be a smart idea to take a picture of a flat, grey wall to make the initial adjustments.

I also can't figure out how to make a layer a preset, so I've been copying it between photos using the "Copy Adjustment" commands.

I hope this helps. I've made some shots I'm really pleased with using Capture One!

DJI_0158.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike