DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air submarined in Hawaii but recovered! Malfunction?

Well, mystery continues, reads both return to home whether aircraft is connected or not. New one same way out of the box.

Well, mystery continues, reads both return to home whether aircraft is connected or not. New one same way out of the box.

Interesting. The flight log clearly showed that the FC had the setting as "Land" so there is no ambiguity about the actual setting at the time of the flight in question, but it is odd that the aircraft now indicates RTH. Are you sure that you didn't inadvertently change it back while trying to figure out what happened?

RTH is the default, so it is to be expected that the new aircraft will show that setting.

reads both return to home whether aircraft is connected or not
I wouldn't trust what DJI GO is showing while the aircraft is disconnected since that setting is stored on the aircraft.

Interesting. The flight log clearly showed that the FC had the setting as "Land" so there is no ambiguity about the actual setting at the time of the flight in question, but it is odd that the aircraft now indicates RTH. Are you sure that you didn't inadvertently change it back while trying to figure out what happened?

RTH is the default, so it is to be expected that the new aircraft will show that setting.[/QUOTE

Pretty certain, I do know the very first thing I did was pull out that battery, and then I checked the setting on the remote, at that point it was disconnected, now that I reconnect without having adjusted anythink it still reads as I just indicated, return to home. I don't know, I'll send her in and see what they say. I am going to take the new one out and cut the uplink in a safe zone and see what happens to make sure this one behaves like expected to should it lose signal once again.

I will get the drone replaced, not too worried about that, I kind of expected something would happen eventually, but hoped it wouldnt. Big worry is why didn't it rth? I hope to prevent this again in the future. Just for fun, here's the video snippet...

Pretty cool and lucky!

Hello all, new to this forum. Had an interesting experience this week. Had some stunning footage filmed while on vacation in Hawaii this last week. Magic was performing flawlessly, witnessed a guy put his GoPro drone in the ocean when it lost signal and auto landed in place! Poor guy I thought, and then... I was flying about 300ft in altitude, over the town in La' ie, Hawaii, I started to experience some video interference so I directed the mavic out over water and on a course back toward me in a sweeping right turn, video seemed to improve and then lost signal to RC, next thing I heard was "landing!". I started to run down the beach and re-establish connection somehow. As I am running I power off the rc, and power it back on, it successfully reconnected, and I see a message of "unsuitable landing zone" or something to that effect, I quickly click into sport mode and climb, then gather my bearings and bring it over to me. It was wet, but functioning properly. I raced it back and forth down the beach to dry it out a bit, then shut it down, and removed battery. At this point I thought it just got some spray from a close call. No battery issues, no flight issues, then noticed the gimble was tilted to the left a little funky. I bought a bottle of 96% isopropyl alcohol and flushed the drone, and into the rice it went for a couple days. In the meantime I check out the video. It indeed attempted to land, then stopped and hovered above the water as small waves go by underneath, and then it happened, two waves wash over the top of it, and I am catching video underwater, but it must have only submerged 75%or so, because flight was unaffected. Incredible video! Today I turn it back on for the first time. Haven't flown it yet, but it connects, camera operates, no error messages, however gimble doesn't work. Big question, why didn't rth kick in, I verified the setting were set to rth upon signal loss right after the other guy lost his... I am going to attention to post flight logs, never done anything with them before.
Have you posted the video for share anywhere....link please?

Chlorides attack and meander into unprotected nooks and crannies like cabling quick disconnect header junctions. Pcb's are conformal coated but heatsink interfaces and surface mount leg spacing is bridged by the chlorides and will sump energies. Gosh even balmy ocean air is bad news flight after flight.

I didnt review log but how distant receiving rc pairing lost?
2km?
1km?
EyeContactEngageThroughout?

This morn i sent ma out beyond 2500meter received spurious unpair so i hover down, nope, go fwd, yes!, paired, and furthered craft distance to understand just how good reception can be since craft flew over huge infrastruct ala moana shopping center toward ocean meaning rc flux must be "bending" upwards and over this massive obstruct. I still don't understand how flux meanders unto the craft for pairing when clearly obstructed bee-line pair

There’s a product called “Salt Away” used by boaters mainly. You might want to try dunking the drone in a solution of water and salt away, then flush well with fresh water. Good luck.

Reactions: Rtsousley
Hello all, new to this forum. Had an interesting experience this week. Had some stunning footage filmed while on vacation in Hawaii this last week. Magic was performing flawlessly, witnessed a guy put his GoPro drone in the ocean when it lost signal and auto landed in place! Poor guy I thought, and then... I was flying about 300ft in altitude, over the town in La' ie, Hawaii, I started to experience some video interference so I directed the mavic out over water and on a course back toward me in a sweeping right turn, video seemed to improve and then lost signal to RC, next thing I heard was "landing!". I started to run down the beach and re-establish connection somehow. As I am running I power off the rc, and power it back on, it successfully reconnected, and I see a message of "unsuitable landing zone" or something to that effect, I quickly click into sport mode and climb, then gather my bearings and bring it over to me. It was wet, but functioning properly. I raced it back and forth down the beach to dry it out a bit, then shut it down, and removed battery. At this point I thought it just got some spray from a close call. No battery issues, no flight issues, then noticed the gimble was tilted to the left a little funky. I bought a bottle of 96% isopropyl alcohol and flushed the drone, and into the rice it went for a couple days. In the meantime I check out the video. It indeed attempted to land, then stopped and hovered above the water as small waves go by underneath, and then it happened, two waves wash over the top of it, and I am catching video underwater, but it must have only submerged 75%or so, because flight was unaffected. Incredible video! Today I turn it back on for the first time. Haven't flown it yet, but it connects, camera operates, no error messages, however gimble doesn't work. Big question, why didn't rth kick in, I verified the setting were set to rth upon signal loss right after the other guy lost his... I am going to attention to post flight logs, never done anything with them before.

Clarifying: the Polynesian cultural tourist center at laie is the bringom young morman church entity on island of oahu. kaui is the remotest north island while oahu is the honolulu metropolis capital.

It’s all garble crap! On your attachment

There’s a product called “Salt Away” used by boaters mainly. You might want to try dunking the drone in a solution of water and salt away, then flush well with fresh water. Good luck.
Sounds like another submerge, it’s not a submarine.... lol

Reactions: Rtsousley
Sounds like another submerge, it’s not a submarine.... lol
No. Electrical injuries already occurred. Not a reversible process, the field effect transistor workhorses are compromised by transient experience power destabilization. Consider craft resorted autonomously to emetgency casualty proceed.
I believe this lesson learned is "do not be overly enthused at craft novelty and enjoyment as your vigilance letdown thwarts assets preservation"
Always think and be wary prepared of the collisions and flyaways

No. Electrical injuries already occurred. Not a reversible process, the field effect transistor workhorses are compromised by transient experience power destabilization. Consider craft resorted autonomously to emetgency casualty proceed.
I believe this lesson learned is "do not be overly enthused at craft novelty and enjoyment as your vigilance letdown thwarts assets preservation"
Always think and be wary prepared of the collisions and flyaways
Hmmm, did autocorrect on your keyboard kick in, or am I just not understanding half of this post?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan