DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air submarined in Hawaii but recovered! Malfunction?

under autoland it should have descended vertically and landed at the signal loss location. That didn't happen
That's exactly what happened. This section of the log shows it started landing at its current location (with no southeast movement):

1549979299071.png

The southeast movement didn't occur until some point in the 2m 6.3s section of the log that is missing.

That's exactly what happened. This section of the log shows it started landing at its current location (with no southeast movement):

View attachment 62749

The southeast movement didn't occur until some point in the 2m 6.3s section of the log that is missing.

Agreed - and you can see that perfectly clearly in the graph above. It started to descend vertically, but on the second period of signal loss it was still auto landing and moving southeast, for no reason that I can see.

View attachment 62749

I think, on balance, however, that it is pretty clear that failsafe must have been set to autoland, since that is the initial behavior. Perhaps the subsequent movement was caused by wind gusts; even though the calculated wind speeds don't look quite high enough to cause drift they are rather variable.

Reactions: Astom22
I think, on balance, however, that it is pretty clear that failsafe must have been set to autoland, since that is the initial behavior.
The flight log also shows that was the selected setting.

Perhaps the subsequent movement was caused by wind gusts; even though the calculated wind speeds don't look quite high enough to cause drift they are rather variable.
I don't see anything useful in the DAT log. It looks like the aircraft descended to the water, decided it wasn't safe to land, and then hovered waiting for the OP to take over. The slow southeast movement was in the direction the wind was blowing and it seems wind was a factor here judging by the attitude of the aircraft as it was hovering in place after it descended.

The flight log also shows that was the selected setting.

Right - how did I miss that?

MC_PARAM.failSafeAction = Landing

That's completely unambiguous.

I don't see anything useful in the DAT log. It looks like the aircraft descended to the water, decided it wasn't safe to land, and then hovered waiting for the OP to take over. The slow southeast movement was in the direction the wind was blowing and it seems wind was a factor here judging by the attitude of the aircraft as it was hovering in place after it descended.

Agreed. The DAT file has exactly the same data gaps, so it doesn't help. The wind calculations show around 17 - 20 mph out of the NW, so it wouldn't have taken much additional gusting to move it SE.

Every flight I took off from the beach, the Mavic would register the water line below (-) the starting point even though it looked level . I actually checked approximately what looked like 10’ above the water registered, and each time would be -8,-11,-9...
I’m in Maui flying around now, and I seem to get signal interference at an average of 3800’ out directly above the water. The surrounding islands seem to bounce off signal differently each time.

It really is amazing reading your interpretations of the logs, I had never even looked into them before this., believe me when I say on the remote it clearly read return to home.this is one thing that I am 100% sure on, that it said on the remote control return to home. I have no reason to alter the facts, I would have preferred that I found the setting on autoland, as there would be no mystery, lesson learned move on. However, As soon as it was back in my possession, I sat down on the beach next to my wife and showed her where I had set that setting to return to home and explain to her what it was supposed to have done. She also saw that it was set to return to home on the remote control.I understand that the drone for some reason thought it should land, that is precisely the big question and the one and only reason I brought the subject fourth, Why does my remote say one thing and the drone do the other. so there is no argument that the drone did what it thought what it was supposed to have done, but it did not do what the remote showed me it should have done. That is my one and only question, and hopefully DJI will be able to answer it, because I don't want it to happen again to me, and if I can help it not happen to somebody else, even better I paid it forward.

It really is amazing reading your interpretations of the logs, I had never even looked into them before this., believe me when I say on the remote it clearly read return to home.this is one thing that I am 100% sure on, that it said on the remote control return to home. I have no reason to alter the facts, I would have preferred that I found the setting on autoland, as there would be no mystery, lesson learned move on. However, As soon as it was back in my possession, I sat down on the beach next to my wife and showed her where I had set that setting to return to home and explain to her what it was supposed to have done. She also saw that it was set to return to home on the remote control.I understand that the drone for some reason thought it should land, that is precisely the big question and the one and only reason I brought the subject fourth, Why does my remote say one thing and the drone do the other. so there is no argument that the drone did what it thought what it was supposed to have done, but it did not do what the remote showed me it should have done. That is my one and only question, and hopefully DJI will be able to answer it, because I don't want it to happen again to me, and if I can help it not happen to somebody else, even better I paid it forward.

On the brighter side I ordered the new ones yesterday, and I got the notification of delivery today. Thank you Costco for fast shipping!

On the brighter side I ordered the new ones yesterday, and I got the notification of delivery today. Thank you Costco for fast shipping!
I don't think anyone is calling you a lier, just interpreting the facts that they see. I read all these lost drone threads, just to educate myself.

The guys you have helping you are good people, they are just factually delivering their interpretation of the data they have.

On another note, your video from before the crash was some beautiful footage! Really enjoyed watching it and now I'm wanting to get back to Hawaii soon.

I don't think anyone is calling you a lier, just interpreting the facts that they see. I read all these lost drone threads, just to educate myself.

The guys you have helping you are good people, they are just factually delivering their interpretation of the data they have.

On another note, your video from before the crash was some beautiful footage! Really enjoyed watching it and now I'm wanting to get back to Hawaii soon.
oh I completely understand that's what they are doing, I don't think anybody's calling me a liar, and don't feel that way. I'm just saying the question remains unanswered. And in the end there may not be a way to answer it.

On the other note, if you've never been to Kauai Hawaii, truly is incredible. only two things were better than flying my drone there, one being there with my wife, and two doing the helicopter tour of the landscape. I've been all over the place, but never scenery such as it provides.

When you say that you checked the setting afterwards, was the aircraft connected at that time? The GO app will always say "Return to home" if the aircraft is not connected.

oh I completely understand that's what they are doing, I don't think anybody's calling me a liar, and don't feel that way. I'm just saying the question remains unanswered. And in the end there may not be a way to answer it.

On the other note, if you've never been to Kauai Hawaii, truly is incredible. only two things were better than flying my drone there, one being there with my wife, and two doing the helicopter tour of the landscape. I've been all over the place, but never scenery such as it provides.
Sar104 is the man when it comes to tracking this stuff down. Haven't been to that island, but it is now at the top off my list.

When you say that you checked the setting afterwards, was the aircraft connected at that time? The GO app will always say "Return to home" if the aircraft is not connected.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly that setting does not appear unless you are connected to the aircraft...? I am currently out of town, won't be home till Thursday to verify an answer to that question. I have not altered anyting, so that is definitely something to look at.

I just tried to access that setting on my phone through the app, and could not. Not sure if that setting is accessible if connected to the remote, with the aircraft off or not however. I really wish I was there too check that out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly that setting does not appear unless you are connected to the aircraft...? I am currently out of town, won't be home till Thursday to verify an answer to that question. I have not altered anyting, so that is definitely something to look at.

That setting is visible whether or not you are connected to the aircraft.

I just tried to access that setting on my phone through the app, and could not. Not sure if that setting is accessible if connected to the remote, with the aircraft off or not however. I really wish I was there too check that out.

You must have looked in the wrong place - it's under Aircraft > Advanced Settings

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000