DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air took off by itself ascended to 400m and then crashed - no input

Any updates on what the final outcome was?
Hey Sarge - Thanks for circling. DJI have gone silent on me - especially after I detailed the KML files and the GPS showed the flight went from Australia to China to Africa and then back to Australia.

They refuse to acknowledge that the drone ever took flight at all - even though there's a clear image from the flight itself (the auto photo) and the log corresponds with the EXIF data from the photo.

Attached are some additional pieces I sent their way. It's been over 10 days with no response and I did follow up late last week. I will do so again in the coming day or two. Is it possible the current unrest in Hong Kong is attributed to their lack of response??

I'm completely floored that they are denying this and am going to pursue this until they issue a full replacement.

Oh! Please enjoy the "Air Data Overview" image - as it seems I have broken multiple world records with this particular flight. Surely, I need a special forum flair for that type of achievement. Or maybe... just maybe, there's a glitch in this particular drones software...

Attachments

• Air Data Media.PNG
    Air Data Media.PNG
    648.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Air Data Overview.PNG
    Air Data Overview.PNG
    421.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DJI_0001.JPG
    DJI_0001.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 61
  • KML - North.PNG
    KML - North.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • KML - Wide view.PNG
    KML - Wide view.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 52
  • KML actual location.PNG
    KML actual location.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
  • Maps China location.PNG
    Maps China location.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
Aa°°°°AaazaaaaAO1&
I'm rather baffled by their stance on this one - how far up the chain has this been escalated?
I don't think it has gotten that far up honestly. I had a supervisor call at one point. But I've consistently asked for escalation and received no significant response. Any recommends on position title I should ask for?

Aa°°°°AaazaaaaAO1&

I don't think it has gotten that far up honestly. I had a supervisor call at one point. But I've consistently asked for escalation and received no significant response. Any recommends on position title I should ask for?

I've never had to deal with them myself, so I'm not sure about titles. The other approach that has yielded results is to ask for help on the DJI forum. You won't get much useful flight analysis but, if you explain the situation and point to what's already been established from the log files, you may be able to get one of the staff there to push the case.

sar104 is the man when it comes to looking at data, if he is baffled than I can bet dji is also. I do agree with him though that you should try to post on the dji forums and I would definitely be pushing the issue with this. Btw...off topic but your user name also belongs to one of my favorite drummers of all time. sar, do you think this could be some kind of weird gps issue? Same as when my phone tell's me I'm in Seattle when I'm actually in Portland.

Thanks guys - heading to the DJI forum now to get that ball rolling.

Just received another response flatly denying my clear data and photo evidence as clear proof of flight during that simulator mode issue.

I fear I will have to take this down a legal path I would prefer not to - all over a $1300 drone. Incredibly frustrating.

And Sarge201 - yes - my username is all about him. He's a swell fella.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
sar104 is the man when it comes to looking at data, if he is baffled than I can bet dji is also. I do agree with him though that you should try to post on the dji forums and I would definitely be pushing the issue with this. Btw...off topic but your user name also belongs to one of my favorite drummers of all time. sar, do you think this could be some kind of weird gps issue? Same as when my phone tell's me I'm in Seattle when I'm actually in Portland.

I think that @BudWalker summed it up in post #23. It's an unusual case but the direct cause of the crash seems clear - the FC confused simulator mode with flight mode. I don't see any GPS problem - the GPS data all look fine.

I think that @BudWalker summed it up in post #23. It's an unusual case but the direct cause of the crash seems clear - the FC confused simulator mode with flight mode. I don't see any GPS problem - the GPS data all look fine.

Any reason you think the GPS shows coordinates: N 22º 32' 15", E 114º 57' 13" in the log? Along with others that place it near Africa etc...? Any thoughts on why the KML data shows the wild trip from Brisbane to China?

Or am I missing something here?

Attachments

• Air Data Overview.PNG
    Air Data Overview.PNG
    421.4 KB · Views: 22
  • KML - Wide view.PNG
    KML - Wide view.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
Any reason you think the GPS shows coordinates: N 22º 32' 15", E 114º 57' 13" in the log? Along with others that place it near Africa etc...? Any thoughts on why the KML data shows the wild trip from Brisbane to China?

Or am I missing something here?

Those data are presumably from the simulator. The GPS data in the DAT file are fine.

Update:

I have been able to come to a resolution with DJI and a replacement is being sent in the coming days - of which I am incredibly grateful.

We still did not come to a wider conclusion on the situation and there are still plenty of questions as to why this occurred. While this matter is closed, I am still curious as to why this happened and hope DJI continue to look into it.

Update:

I have been able to come to a resolution with DJI and a replacement is being sent in the coming days - of which I am incredibly grateful.

We still did not come to a wider conclusion on the situation and there are still plenty of questions as to why this occurred. While this matter is closed, I am still curious as to why this happened and hope DJI continue to look into it.

So they are replacing it free of charge - yes?

So they are replacing it free of charge - yes?
Yes, they are. Which is what I initially asked for - now... what's the overall cost that I've expended with my time on this? It'd likely be comparable to paying for repair - but it was the principle of the matter with this clear glitch.

I'm just hoping they will truly review and determine the issue, rather than insisting the AC never even took off.

Yes, they are. Which is what I initially asked for - now... what's the overall cost that I've expended with my time on this? It'd likely be comparable to paying for repair - but it was the principle of the matter with this clear glitch.

I'm just hoping they will truly review and determine the issue, rather than insisting the AC never even took off.

At least they finally accepted the obvious. I've no idea why it took them so long - it's not as if it was a difficult conclusion to arrive at.

Glad they eventually came to the conclusion it was their fault. Amazing it took them so long, as they anticipated they would remove the useless flight simulator recently, meaning they might have already come to the conclusion that it was buggy (or buggier than the rest of their software).
However, as I first started reading the first post, the first thing that came to my mind is that the app should have told you not to start the drone simulation with propellers on... that doesn't justify the drone doing its thing, but it wasn't a good idea.

Update:

Outstanding!!! That is great news!! I do agree that a definitive outcome on what caused it would be nice to get also.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer