DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - Will it ever have Occusync

Srcrain

Reactions
Do people think the Air's lack of Occusync is because - 1) It would add additional costs; 2) there is somehow a space limitation as you go smaller; or 3) DJI doesn't want to cannibalize the Pro and upcoming Pro 2?

Then a follow-up, will the Air 2 or Spark 2 get Occusync in the next 1-2 years? If the answer is no, then I can better justify purchase, as this would be the best we can do at this size.

Thoughts?

If you base your purchases on what's coming next that's better...You're going to drive yourself crazy. See something, like it, buy it, sell it. Rinse and repeat.
Do people think the Air's lack of Occusync is because - 1) It would add additional costs; 2) there is somehow a space limitation as you go smaller; or 3) DJI doesn't want to cannibalize the Pro and upcoming Pro 2?

Then a follow-up, will the Air 2 or Spark 2 get Occusync in the next 1-2 years? If the answer is no, then I can better justify purchase, as this would be the best we can do at this size.

Thoughts?

Difficult to achieve thermal cooling on MA small foot print (heat sink).

Enhanced WiFi RC might be ok depending dji programmed protocols and hardware repeater. I would be perfectly fine with its range provided its stable
Of at least 5k feet.

Smart money will hold off on purchasing until experienced beta testers
shake it down, stay tuned for results in coming 1-3 weeks.

1-2 years in DJI time is a long time. Lots of innovation comes quickly from them, so I tell my friends if you buy DJI, expect a new/faster/better/cooler done will release in 3-6 months. Just gotta accept that, and be a fan of the innovation. It doesn't invalidate anyone's investment to see new stuff come out. We all benefit.

I'm pretty sure the reason for wifi is due to heating/cooling, power, and size. DJI would include Occusync if it made sense. I don't think it's a business/marketing decision.

Perhaps, but based on current trends, the Air 2 is two years away, and at that point we'll also be hotly anticipating the Mavic Pro 3 or some other as-yet-unnamed product. As stated above, buy now for use now. Waiting on what's next will have you waiting forever.

Reactions: philh24
IMO Only spark owners are likely to upgrade (air) or those pilots who have money to burn :)

Actually I'm beginning to wonder if all new DJI products in the future will be using wifi as opposed to occusync/lightbridge. I make the comment based on the 2 most recent releases (Spark & Mavic Air).

Reactions: Ron_Dog
IMO Only spark owners are likely to upgrade (air) or those pilots who have money to burn :)

I've got the mavic and pre ordered the air the moment I could (do not have the spark). Footprint is king in my world and dji marketed it exactly the way I anticipated. The best travel friendly drone available.

Reactions: philh24
I have both MP and a Spark, but will not be “upgrading” to the Air. I don’t believe it’s an upgrade just because of the RC and WiFi alone. I absolutely dislike the RC on the Spark and because of that alone,I’ll probably will be returning it. Too many disconnects between the iPad and RC[emoji35]. From what I’ve read, the Spark RC was able to connect with the OTG cable , but an update deleted that option. If they fixed that connection problem with the Air, it should be a fine bird. I still prefer an RC with some kind of display. Impatiently waiting for real world member feedbacks [emoji6]

I’m sure the air connects via cable to the phone or iPad from the controller.

Reactions: lrsn
Actually I'm beginning to wonder if all new DJI products in the future will be using wifi as opposed to occusync/lightbridge. I make the comment based on the 2 most recent releases (Spark & Mavic Air).
I think this is a attempt to "limit" the range of the drones! We all know how popular long range is on a drone,and a easy way to fix this is to offer drones with a shorter range. The range test will show the "real world" range of the MA. The "trend" seems to be moving towards smaller limmited range drones, with the sales pitch being you can carry this drone in your underwear! LOL! I was really expecting something a little larger, with a better camera,and extended flight time, between (size wise) a Ph4 and a Mavic Pro? But it looks more like they were thinking between a Mavic Pro and a Spark!:(

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo and rjmlakota
I think this is a attempt to "limit" the range of the drones!
I agree...that's kinda what I was eluding to in my earlier post, but didn't want to be "that guy" which says it.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
I agree...that's kinda what I was eluding to in my earlier post, but didn't want to be "that guy" which says it.
LOL! I'm always "That Guy!" :D No sense in saying anything,if you can't speak your mind!Thumbswayup

I bought the Mavic Pro when it first came out and never liked the 4k image quality. I sold it and used that money to by the Phantom 4 Pro and LOVED the quality. (but HATED dragging it arround)

I got the Spark as a disposable toy and I DO have fun with it but the 1080 on it is soft as a kitten's fur. Lol

I just ordered a black Air and from what I have seen from direct Air files that I have downloaded, the image quality is now a clear improvement over the Mavic Pro. That 100mbp/s works! 60mbp/s H.264 is FINALY dead for DJI moving forward.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom