DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air with Seek Thermal (Previously: Can I fix the gimbal into one position?)

You can program the 5d button on rc to point camera straight down.

You could also still move the camera up and perhaps see what you are looking at.

One problem with thermal is that it can be difficult to ascertain what you are looking at and is nice to also have a regular camera available.

Reactions: andrew.lindsay
I’ve contemplated a similiar idea.

We utilize a different seek thermal imaging camera with built in screen. They are pretty light.

3C6C07BA-F62F-4ABB-A320-24DFD36F1712.jpeg

I did recently learn that mavic can turn its camera 90° for “portrait mode” which would make it align more closely with the screen on this thermal imaging camera.

iPhones have a FaceTime feature to send video. There are Skype type apps that send video. Would one of these work to send the video to another phone and have that phone record it?

You also may need to re-calibrate the compass if adding metal to the Air, but not sure about this.

iPhones have a FaceTime feature to send video. There are Skype type apps that send video. Would one of these work to send the video to another phone and have that phone record it?

You also may need to re-calibrate the compass if adding metal to the Air, but not sure about this.
That's a thought (Skype type apps). But sometimes I'm out in the boonies with no data connection. That's why I'm looking primarily to do it with the MA camera. But I do need to look further into the Skype type apps. Thank you.

Remember that the MVP needs to rotate to direct the thrust from the propellers for hovering. So if you find a way to lock the camera with respect to the MVP it will not be fixed with respect to the earth.

Well, well, the contraption may work after all and be easier to implement than I thought. For a quick test, here is what I performed.
  • Suspended the MA from the ceiling.
  • Installed the OEM landing gear extensions.
  • Taped one carbon fiber rod at the bottom and between the two front landing gear legs.
  • Taped a second carbon fiber rod at the bottom and between the two rear landing gear legs.
  • Taped a pair of reading glasses to the MA such that one lens was directly under the camera.
  • Taped, at an approximate 45 degree angle, a very light plastic mirror to the rod going between the front landing gears.
  • Taped a cell phone approximating the size and dimensions of the one I'd purchase to the rod going between the rear landing gears.
  • Called up on the cell phone a random YouTube video of some wildlife recorded by a FLIR Scout.
  • Rotated the MA camera downward and started recording.
Even with movement of the MA, the image is quite viewable.

The final assembly will, of course, need to have the cell phone positioned more towards the MA center-of-gravity (COG). I gave it a quick try in that position just holding it by hand and the focus was marginal. I'll go out and pick up a pair of 2.75 corrective lenses and test again with the phone at the COG to see if the focus improves. But the takeaway from the experiment is that this is looking like it should be quite easy to construct a sturdy, lightweight, and reliable method for viewing the thermal display.

See the results of the experiment here:

Well, well, the contraption may work after all and be easier to implement than I thought. For a quick test, here is what I performed.
  • Suspended the MA from the ceiling.
  • Installed the OEM landing gear extensions.
  • Taped one carbon fiber rod at the bottom and between the two front landing gear legs.
  • Taped a second carbon fiber rod at the bottom and between the two rear landing gear legs.
  • Taped a pair of reading glasses to the MA such that one lens was directly under the camera.
  • Taped, at an approximate 45 degree angle, a very light plastic mirror to the rod going between the front landing gears.
  • Taped a cell phone approximating the size and dimensions of the one I'd purchase to the rod going between the rear landing gears.
  • Called up on the cell phone a random YouTube video of some wildlife recorded by a FLIR Scout.
  • Rotated the MA camera downward and started recording.
Even with movement of the MA, the image is quite viewable.

The final assembly will, of course, need to have the cell phone positioned more towards the MA center-of-gravity (COG). I gave it a quick try in that position just holding it by hand and the focus was marginal. I'll go out and pick up a pair of 2.75 corrective lenses and test again with the phone at the COG to see if the focus improves. But the takeaway from the experiment is that this is looking like it should be quite easy to construct a sturdy, lightweight, and reliable method for viewing the thermal display.

See the results of the experiment here:

A mirror and the corrective lense is brilliant.

I'm comfortable enough this will work that I'll order Seek compatible phone from FreedomPop as soon as I hear from Seek. I wish they would get back to me on whether I can use an adapter that will let me use my Android camera with an iOS phone. The iPhones are lighter by over half an ounce. It's been three weeks since I wrote them and they said they would respond by now. Grrr.

The seek camera I have here weighs exactly 200 grams.

How much does the lightest iPhone weigh?

I’m excited to see your progress...can’t wait to see your first flight.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is 4.59 oz (140 grams). The iPhone 5S and SE are 3.95 oz (111 grams). These are the two lightest iPhones sold by FreedomPop that are compatible with the Seek.

At 200 grams (7 oz) you are already over my max target weight of 184 grams (6.5 oz). You're going to be adding 43 to 57 grams (1.5 to 2 oz) of weight for the assembly. If you are thinking of doing the same thing you may want to try a test flight with something like 255 grams (9 oz) to see if the MA can tote that much, still perform, and provide a usable flight time. I'm thinking that may be too much. However, you may be able to shave some weight by replacing the battery with a smaller one - if the battery is accessible. Maybe you could even loose the casing.

*edit*. I’m just not realizing that you have an air and I have Mavic Pro. **

I abuse my mavic often, including flying while carrying a load.

Mavic flys reliably with 1 pound of cargo although flight duration is about half and you are likely to get motor current overload warnings.

With about half that weight I think mavic will do just fine.

*edit*. I’m just not realizing that you have an air and I have Mavic Pro. **

I abuse my mavic often, including flying while carrying a load.

Mavic flys reliably with 1 pound of cargo although flight duration is about half and you are likely to get motor current overload warnings.

With about half that weight I think mavic will do just fine.
Whoa! 1 pound! I had no idea. Can the Mavic Air also tote a pound? Mine seemed to really struggle with just less than 9 ounces, but flew okay with just less than 7. Then again, it was really hot outside when I tried it. Still, I'm hoping to keep my total added weight to around 6 ounces.

But yes, if you can tote a pound then you should have no problems at all.

Thermal just called me back. The signals and interface iOS devices expect are different than Android. A camera designed for Android will not work for an iOS device. I'll be picking up another Android device for this project.

Update: I just ordered a Galaxy S4 from FreedomPop. It's the lightest of the Android phones that is compatible with the Seek Thermal camera. It should arrive by this weekend. Hopefully I'll have the chance to work on the project.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lapeer20m
I'd be very concerned with a phone attached to drone throwing off compass/imu calibration mid flight. Unless it's in airplane mode and Just self recording.
Exactly. It will definitely be in airplane mode. I was thinking earlier that the one misbehaved test flight I took may have been because I forgot to put the phone in airplane mode. EM interference is one reason I was trying to avoid using any other devices aside from the required phone. I'll see what space allows, but if I can separate the phone from the MA by an inch or two then I will.

Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929