DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and a Motorbike :)

HK!

Reactions
Is it just me or is this a great combination :)
Mavic is small enough to fit in your backpack/Tank bag.
Flying Mavic feels like riding/driving for the first time aswell.

Are there many riders here who combine the two passtimes?

Reactions: simbaboy
I plan to in the summer months. Portability of the Mavic Pro is perfect for taking on a ride.

Both on my sport bike and Quad.

Reactions: Shon
Yup, thats the primary reason I bought the Mavic. Its ability to fit in my Adventure Bike's Top box and still have plenty of room for other things. I had been taking my P4, but that took up most of my Top Box.

Its great to be able to take my motorcycle off-road on fire-roads, forest service roads or double track and get to a place that few people see. Then take my drone out and capture it from a different angle...

Is it just me or is this a great combination :)
Mavic is small enough to fit in your backpack/Tank bag.
Flying Mavic feels like riding/driving for the first time aswell.

Are there many riders here who combine the two passtimes?

Reactions: Carb63 and Shon
I can't wait to next road trip. Stop at coffee/smoko spots and see things few people see, as you say

Touch wood, both stay upright until then

Agree totally. We are planning a 21 day, 7000+ km trip to Norway (Cape North) in June/July with 4 bikes. I make a 'movie' every year of our trips and we rent a cinema to see the movie. This year we shoot the trip with the DJI Mavic, a Canon XC10 and a GoPro 4 black. All in 4K! I love so work with the 'follow me'!

Reactions: Yankee mike
Agree totally. We are planning a 21 day, 7000+ km trip to Norway (Cape North) in June/July with 4 bikes. I make a 'movie' every year of our trips and we rent a cinema to see the movie. This year we shoot the trip with the DJI Mavic, a Canon XC10 and a GoPro 4 black. All in 4K! I love so work with the 'follow me'!

Norway! Awesome I hope is in Summer though.
My dream is to tour, well Italy/Austria, but I'd settle for Anywhere in Europe area.
Yotuube car scene from "Goldfinger" Furka Pass? Something like that would be :D

I got my replayXD. Got my FLY 360. All the angles.. just no the HDD space

Furkapass_westside.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PAW and Icarus
Hi guys, I drive BMW GSA and have a Mavic pro.
In a couple of weeks I drive from Belgium to Nordkapp and like to do some active track filming in Finland and Norway.
I only don't know how I should fix the RC to the bike to have a little bit of quick control when things seem to go wrong ....
I have a tankbag ...
Any suggestions on this ?
Many thanks for your help

In a couple of weeks I drive from Belgium to Nordkapp and like to do some active track filming in Finland and Norway.
I only don't know how I should fix the RC to the bike to have a little bit of quick control when things seem to go wrong ....
I have a tankbag ...
You can see the solution I came up with in this post Motorcycle Mount. I didn't have a chance to test it yet and looks like I won't be able to since new regulations in Canada prohibits driving and flying drones.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I have a tankbag ...

The Air or the Spark allow control with just your cell phone. A decent phone mount would do the trick. You will get more limited range this way, but for “follow me” distances it works fine. I can’t say the same would apply to the Pro.

I’ve seen folks ride one handed, controlling the drone with the other...

Distracted riding can lead to disastrous results. It’s much better to have a riding partner film you, or you film them, rather than attempting to ride and fly at the same time. You can also get some epic shots parked at various vista points. Better that than “epic” shots from a hospital bed. Safe Travels! :)

Reactions: raylo32 and NAVMAV
We are SPEECHLESS!

Dude, you are doing amazing stuff!~

Rgds, NAVMAV

Thank you, you are very kind.

The trip was my first multi day motorcycle trip and my first time I flew my drone. I practice a bit before with TELLO but I was very nervous about people reaction to the drone, afraid of making mistake and crashing the drone. But all went smooth just the drone footage could be a bit better :)
The trip didn't end up on the happy note, I slipped on the went grass while setting camera for the timelapse and broke my left ankle. At the time I didn't know the ankle is broken so I rode back from Quebec to Toronto (1,100 km, two days) and then went to ER. Ended up with brand new cast and remainder of riding season off my bikes.

Attachments

• 20180826_093243.jpg
    20180826_093243.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
I definitely plan to try this when my hand heals from an injury (can't work the clutch yet). The Mavic 2 pro case I have will bungee right onto the seat of my Tiger 800 to come with.

100% agree! :)

I wanted to start a new thread of drones and motorcycles but then a search revealed several thread already here. I think this already started thread is a relevant one. I hope the OP does not mind if I post here my experiences and also using this thread to find what has worked for me and others can post their observations.

We can post here ideas regarding where and how to carry our drones, where and how to carry our remotes and phones/tablets, different 'active track/follow me' modes, editing software, etc.

People can also post their youtube motorcycle/drone footages links here.

Thank you all,

Simba

After I was done riding with my buddies in Moab I decided to take my drone out to Onion Creek trail. This is just a picture as I am getting ready to launch my drone.

Last edited:
After I flew the Mavic Pro around I decided to do an 'Active Track'--I had already practiced a bit in an open area a day earlier. Since I would have the phone/RC inside a case I guessed that 'Follow Me' mode would not work. I forgot to record my 1st active track ride and then after a short ride (maybe 0.5 Mile) I turned around and went to pick up my launch plastic and clean up the rocks I had used.

On the way back the drone changed position and after a very short ride I noticed that the drone had moved very close to a cliff edge. I also got a obstacle warning and before I could react the wind nudged the drone into the rock and down it went. Only the props broke. I have replaced them and everything is working as normal.

I headed back and once in the hotel I noticed my error of not getting 'Active Track' video footage. I was bummed as that was my 1st such recording.

Simba

Last edited:
Reactions: PAW
I have learned 2 lessons here:

1. As soon as the drone is launched pick up after myself so I don't have to come back to the launch spot. I can just land the drone wherever I am at down the road. Maybe, also enable Dynamic Home point. Does this happen automatically when I go into 'Active Track' Mode?

2. Don't forget to press the Video Record button.

I was in a canyon so I was not sure whether 'Follow Me' mode would be reliable as I was riding. Maybe, this might be better than 'Active track'.

Simba

Since I did not want to keep the RC/phone in a case I wanted to fabricate a handlebar mount and did some research to build one out of PVC. I may still do that but found a $13 solution on Amazon. I think it will work and I won't have to stop the bike and turn around to look for the drone to make sure its still tracking me and moving as I move.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d