DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Flight Deck vs. Mavmount 3.0?

Dave,

Many thx for your reply. It really has me thinking. I was really leaning toward the Flight Deck also. It really has most everything I’m looking for with the quick release and both mounts included. The reports of the base plate not being as good as the MM and the misplaced lanyard hook up make me think. I actually think the mod with the MM base plate and the dji quick release maybe the best of all worlds.

The unwieldy comment really shook me lol. I’m not so sure of anything now. I hate the thought of buying all these parts and finding I don’t like it after all. I need to check my OCD and stop reading all these forums....over analyzing lol.

Thx again.
I must say this, due to a brain hemorrhage 21 years ago, I'm left with an 85% numbness on my right side. I'm 100% numb in my right foot and right hand. They are not paralyzed, but no sensation. So, I have an issue feeling the control stick with my right hand. I have to see it in order to touch it and control it. That is my main problem with Flight Deck. I cant see the controller stick on the right. Most ppl don't have that concern and the FlightDeck would be a good choice - or the Mavmount.

davemgood, I wonder if you checked LifThor Holders. Their brackets are the only one on the market which allows to view RC with CS mounted (with exception of DJI mount which attaches CS up-side-down to bottom RC). I initially bought this one LifThor Sif CS, CrystalSky Monitor holder for DJI Mavic Series but it was a bit tidiest to attached / remove CS, couple screws at the bottom needs to be screw in or out. Biggest problem with this is when you drop one of those screws when in the field, it may be very difficult to find it. In order to solve this I ordered CrystalSky mounting bracket for OEM mount and CRYSTALSKY - REMOTE CONTROLLER MOUNTING BRACKET and this is perfect setup for me. It can be hang on lanyard and it will balance just fine without holding it, just resting bottom of the bracket on my belly :) Yes, this is probably the most expensive option available but if taking in consideration the amount of $$ I paid for drone and CS 7.85" UB this is small percentage of total cost.
20180828_212351.jpg

Hanging on lanyard :
20180704_180538.jpg

One of the issues I'm trying to solve is the usage of drone (tracking) when riding motorcycle. I saw number of riders using tank bags to attach RC with display device but I'm not big fun of side-bags, top cases, tank bags etc. so decided to modify my LifThor bracket and allow to mount on RAM handlebar mount. Used Ram Mount Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases RAM-B-201U and Tripod Mounts for GoPro to put together something I believe it will work. I didn't test it yet, have to wait for the spring to give it a try :)

20190123_180523.jpg
20190123_180540.jpg
20190123_180627.jpg

the old PolarPro mount + DJI mount hack is expensive and you end up with a fixed cable, if you damage that you're stuffed. you have to replace the entire mount. plus you need tools to put a second bolt in. and it still has the same stability issue as the Flightdeck due to no lip.

The stability issues, is that with the 7.85 CS? I find that solution (old PP baseplate + DJI mount) plenty stable.

the stability of the CS to the base is fine. the problem is that the baseplate rides only in the rubber inserts in the RC arms, it doesn't have a front lip like the Mavmount baseplate to lock it against the bottom of the RC. it's not bad, not just as good. if the baseplate was the proper width I'd live with it, I don't know why they made it so narrow.

I must say this, due to a brain hemorrhage 21 years ago, I'm left with an 85% numbness on my right side. I'm 100% numb in my right foot and right hand. They are not paralyzed, but no sensation. So, I have an issue feeling the control stick with my right hand. I have to see it in order to touch it and control it. That is my main problem with Flight Deck. I cant see the controller stick on the right. Most ppl don't have that concern and the FlightDeck would be a good choice - or the Mavmount.

Dave,

I saw a YouTube video from EVOLUTION 3D. He has various mounting options but one in particular allows for the monitor to mount above the joysticks. Thought it might work for you.

Jeff

the stability of the CS to the base is fine. the problem is that the baseplate rides only in the rubber inserts in the RC arms, it doesn't have a front lip like the Mavmount baseplate to lock it against the bottom of the RC. it's not bad, not just as good. if the baseplate was the proper width I'd live with it, I don't know why they made it so narrow.

When I designed my v2 mount I bought every radio out there and made sure the base plate fit them all nice and snug.. the mavic 2, the air, the spark, the mavic 2.. etc etc.. this required a lot of little height adjustments here and there on the edge of the plate, but it was worth the effort.. and I think customers deserve something you actually spent some time on designing..

Last edited:
When I designed my v2 mount I bought every radio out there and made sure the base plate fit them all nice and snug.. the mavic 2, the air, the spark, the mavic 2.. etc etc.. this required a lot of little height adjustments here and there on the edge of the plate, but it was worth the effort.. and I think customers deserve something you actually spent some time on designing..

What mount is yours? Sorry I’m new here and trying to learn.

Jeff

Last edited:
Second Life is still going? I thought that died a slow death 10 years ago.

I think we're a bit off the topic here, which is screen mounts for the DJI controller.

yay, the major bits are here... initial assembly can be done!

the biggest parts are a Mavmount (v3 in this case) with the CS mounting fixture. I'll only be using the baseplate and the CS mount for this build.

you also need a 38mm ballhead. this is a "small" size in the photographic community. I went with a 3 Legged Thing Airhed Switch with lever lock QD. this is not a cheap part, but it has the following advantages:
- the lever lock means no doing up a knob to clamp the QD plate to the head when mounting the CS
- the head has safety pins, making it a much more confidence boosting process mounting your expensive CS
- the QD plate is the perfect size for the Mavmount CS baseplate, its big enough to be stable but does not foul anything else
- there is plenty of room underneath the mounted CS for hands
- the load rating is far in excess of what is required, making for stability and confidence, and you don't need to crank down incredibly hard on the ballhead lock to get the mount stable /glares at LifThor

the final part is a 1/4" to 3/8" bushing adapter. you may or may not need one of these depending on the ballhead you select.

the remaining tasks are to make a more substantial lanyard plate, I'm thinking 1/4" alloy in a few weeks when I have access to a mill. I also need to sort suitable cabling. I'll also be making an adapter to couple an aftermarket QD clamp head to the original Mavmount ballhead. this build was intended to be as toolless as possible, with off the shelf parts.

on with the photos.

Mavmount v3.

Ballhead.

Bushing adapter.

The ballhead baseplate needs recessing slightly to accept the flange of the bushing adapter, a light hand cut with a 9.5mm drill is quite adequate. Don't be a butcher and you will be fine.

Bushing installed. These are plated brass so don't go nuts screwing it in. I added a tiny bit of purple Loctite to mine.

Mount the ballhead to the baseplate. Square it up by tilting it back against the tilt cutout and squaring to the base, then lock the pan adjust knob.

Pop the QD head off the stem and install the lanyard mounting plate.

Mount the QD plate to the Mavmount CS baseplate. The same tilt-back method on a solid surface gets everything nice and square.

Result:

Reactions: jlcichocki
yay, the major bits are here... initial assembly can be done!

the biggest parts are a Mavmount (v3 in this case) with the CS mounting fixture. I'll only be using the baseplate and the CS mount for this build.

you also need a 38mm ballhead. this is a "small" size in the photographic community. I went with a 3 Legged Thing Airhed Switch with lever lock QD. this is not a cheap part, but it has the following advantages:
- the lever lock means no doing up a knob to clamp the QD plate to the head when mounting the CS
- the head has safety pins, making it a much more confidence boosting process mounting your expensive CS
- the QD plate is the perfect size for the Mavmount CS baseplate, its big enough to be stable but does not foul anything else
- there is plenty of room underneath the mounted CS for hands
- the load rating is far in excess of what is required, making for stability and confidence, and you don't need to crank down incredibly hard on the ballhead lock to get the mount stable /glares at LifThor

the final part is a 1/4" to 3/8" bushing adapter. you may or may not need one of these depending on the ballhead you select.

the remaining tasks are to make a more substantial lanyard plate, I'm thinking 1/4" alloy in a few weeks when I have access to a mill. I also need to sort suitable cabling. I'll also be making an adapter to couple an aftermarket QD clamp head to the original Mavmount ballhead. this build was intended to be as toolless as possible, with off the shelf parts.

on with the photos.

Mavmount v3.

Ballhead.

Bushing adapter.

The ballhead baseplate needs recessing slightly to accept the flange of the bushing adapter, a light hand cut with a 9.5mm drill is quite adequate. Don't be a butcher and you will be fine.

Bushing installed. These are plated brass so don't go nuts screwing it in. I added a tiny bit of purple Loctite to mine.

Mount the ballhead to the baseplate. Square it up by tilting it back against the tilt cutout and squaring to the base, then lock the pan adjust knob.

Pop the QD head off the stem and install the lanyard mounting plate.

Mount the QD plate to the Mavmount CS baseplate. The same tilt-back method on a solid surface gets everything nice and square.

Result:

[

I love it!!

What purpose does the bushing serve in your example?

Jeff

the bushing adapts the 3/8" mounting hole in the base of the ballhead to take the 1/4" screw that comes with the Mavmount. other ballheads may not require this, it depends on what make and model you pick.

something else I will be having a go at making in April when I have access to a machine shop... a Crystalsky mount with an integral Acra base.

the bushing adapts the 3/8" mounting hole in the base of the ballhead to take the 1/4" screw that comes with the Mavmount. other ballheads may not require this, it depends on what make and model you pick.

something else I will be having a go at making in April when I have access to a machine shop... a Crystalsky mount with an integral Acra base.

Any issues that you have run into that you weren’t expecting? Or are you happy with the end result? It really looks fantastic. Finally a complete package. Congrats!

I wasn't planning on having to recess drill the base for the flange on the bushing, I kind of expected it would be already milled to take one. small job to do, but it's a fairly large drill bit that quite a few people probably would not have, and holding the head for drilling is absolutely necessary to prevent the bit grabbing. I was hoping for a hand-tools only assembly, but I picked the ballhead sight unseen off a catalogue. relaxing the requirement for a lever-lock would have opened up a lot more options and allowed in person inspection before buying.

I do still need to source appropriate cabling. since reports Aerial West uses micro USB coming off the side of the monitor OK I will explore that as an idea. the lanyard mount is in the wrong place for convenient cabling but it has to be there to get the weight to balance right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580