DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller RM 550 vs. RC 330

AdamBolonsky

Reactions
I'm considering buying either a used RM 550 or a used RC 330. The price difference is around $200. Does anyone who has used both controllers have any thoughts to pass along? I'm mostly considering the choices because I want to stop using my iPad for a screen - paired with a Hoodman, the iPad works fine but all that extra gear is cumbersome.

Last edited:
In other words, I'm trying to choose between a DJI Smart Controller and the DJI RC.

You doesn't mention what drone you have... if you don't have the Air 2S, you doesn't have anything to compare between these 2 controllers.

The DJI Smart Controller (discontinued) is compatible with the:
Mavic Air 2, DJI Mini 2, DJI Air 2S, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro.

DJI RC is compatible with the:
DJI Mavic 3 Classic, DJI Mavic 3, DJI Mavic 3 Cine, DJI Mavic 3 Pro, DJI Mini 3, DJI Mini 3 Pro, and DJI Air 2S.

If you have the Air 2S, none of the above is good options. The SC is a discontinued model & processor/system weak for the Air 2S & the DJI RC is really a cheap screened RC option without a possibility to install 3:rd party apps like Litchi... you should look at the DJI RC Pro.

The DJI RC Pro is compatible with the:
DJI Mavic 3, DJI Mavic 3 Cine DJI Mavic 3 Pro, DJI Mavic 3 Pro Cine and DJI Air 2S

Hi Slup -
I have an Air 2 S and Mavic 2. I know the SC is discontinued. I don't use 3rd party apps. On your advice, I'll skip the DJI RC.

If you have a minute could you provide more info on:

If you have the Air 2S, none of the above is good options. The SC is a discontinued model & processor/system weak for the Air 2S

Thanks for your help.

Hi Slup -
I have an Air 2 S and Mavic 2. I know the SC is discontinued. I don't use 3rd party apps. On your advice, I'll skip the DJI RC.

If you have a minute could you provide more info on:

If you have the Air 2S, none of the above is good options. The SC is a discontinued model & processor/system weak for the Air 2S

Thanks for your help.
It's mainly due to 2 reasons I base this on...

- Problems that have surfaced on various forums describing app freezes when the SC have been used together with the DJI Fly app (have also occurred with the DJI GO4 app, though)

- That the SC is based on a very old Android version & designed to handle far processor lighter apps.

This isn't black & white... you can be lucky & will not see any problems, the situation is a bit more complicated as you both have an Air 2S & a Mavic 2. If you want the same screened RC for them both you only have the SC.

If you settle for, or have your expectations on a screened RC only for the Mavic 2... you only have the SC, & can be lucky & problem free with the Air 2S.

If you only go for a RC for the Air 2S & have the $$$ to spare... go for full satisfaction with the DJI RC Pro, & forget about the Mavic 2.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13