DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Combo stolen in Michigan

I'm just wanting to vent a bit so I'll post this here. I went skiing yesterday at Bittersweet in Otsego, Michigan. Afterward, I took some shots of the hill and got a little bit of footage. When it was time to leave, I was tired and set the Mavic bag on my car, took off my gear, threw it all in the trunk, got in the car, and drove off. I got to Kalamazoo for food and realized my stupid mistake. I called Bittersweet and asked if anyone returned a camera bag, but they said no and sent out security to look outside where I was parked and check up and down the street of the ski area for a camera bag. I drove back as well and did my own search along the few streets leading up to the resort and at the resort itself and had no luck.

I'm so frustrated with myself and am beyond upset. I put all of my money toward the Mavic Combo and Care Refresh and it's all gone within two weeks. It's my fault for leaving it on the car but seriously, that bag is extremely small even with 2 extra batteries and extra propellers. I was tired but I definitely should've paid more attention. Please look out for deals in the Kalamazoo area. It's close to Otsego where Bittersweet is.

P.S.
PUT A TRACKER ON YOUR DRONE! Whether you have Care Refresh or not, you can't trust anybody. Another friend of mine had a drone stolen from INSIDE his car when he was at work. I'm just going to sit in a corner and cry now. No 20 year old idiot like me should have to go through this.
Why do you say it was stolen?? It is 20 miles from Ostego to Kamloops. Is it possible it just fell off your car and is lying in the woods or in a ditch somewhere and and not in the hands of a "thief"

I'm just wanting to vent a bit so I'll post this here. I went skiing yesterday at Bittersweet in Otsego, Michigan. Afterward, I took some shots of the hill and got a little bit of footage. When it was time to leave, I was tired and set the Mavic bag on my car, took off my gear, threw it all in the trunk, got in the car, and drove off. I got to Kalamazoo for food and realized my stupid mistake. I called Bittersweet and asked if anyone returned a camera bag, but they said no and sent out security to look outside where I was parked and check up and down the street of the ski area for a camera bag. I drove back as well and did my own search along the few streets leading up to the resort and at the resort itself and had no luck.

I'm so frustrated with myself and am beyond upset. I put all of my money toward the Mavic Combo and Care Refresh and it's all gone within two weeks. It's my fault for leaving it on the car but seriously, that bag is extremely small even with 2 extra batteries and extra propellers. I was tired but I definitely should've paid more attention. Please look out for deals in the Kalamazoo area. It's close to Otsego where Bittersweet is.

P.S.
PUT A TRACKER ON YOUR DRONE! Whether you have Care Refresh or not, you can't trust anybody. Another friend of mine had a drone stolen from INSIDE his car when he was at work. I'm just going to sit in a corner and cry now. No 20 year old idiot like me should have to go through this.
so sorry, I feel your pain

DJI needs to implement a "find my drone" feature on their app so that it's broadcasts it's location when powered.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: shevlin
DJI needs to implement a "find my drone" feature on their app so that it's broadcasts it's location when powered.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Or even take that a step further and implement a lock that would not allow the drone to be flown unless paired with a device that is registered within the app. No device no fly. That could potentially create a host of administrative tasks for thier client support team though . Doing unlocks and resets after validating the registered users.

Or even take that a step further and implement a lock that would not allow the drone to be flown unless paired with a device that is registered within the app. No device no fly. That could potentially create a host of administrative tasks for thier client support team though . Doing unlocks and resets after validating the registered users.

If you are close to an airport and want to fly, you have to agree to a disclaimer and enter a valid credit card number for ID. They can apply this to a stolen Drone.

I'm assuming you bought the Mavic with a credit card. A lot of credit card companies provide ridiculously good insurance, which most people seem to forget. Sorry for your loss. Those mistakes hurt. I would go back and check ditches though. You'd be surprised how long something can stay on top of your car.

Reactions: shevlin
If you are close to an airport and want to fly, you have to agree to a disclaimer and enter a valid credit card number for ID. They can apply this to a stolen Drone.
so this is why they ask for a cc number when you are in a locked geozone area? I was wondering.

At least you have owned up to the mistake and taken responsibility. Thats a hard thing to swallow. Thats why I immediately insure my drones with StateFarm. 60 a month and covers anything and everything. Theft, Fire, Water, Fly Away, Vandalism, you name it and its covered.

One does not have to have existing coverage with them either to take out a personal articles policy.

Not trying to rub salt in the wound.

One thing you might do is contact DJI with your serial number so that if the Mavic Pro is flown then it will be noted by DJI and perhaps they can contact you. You had to register the drone with DJI before being allowed to fly so that part is done.

It was actually stolen. By the wind!

I like to pop the lid of my coffee and put it on my tailgate. Then see how long I can balance it there while driving down the street. :)

Interesting never heard of this. This seems like a no brainer. I just call state farm and say i want to insure my drone?

Interesting never heard of this. This seems like a no brainer. I just call state farm and say i want to insure my drone?

@bandroidx

Ding Ding Ding! Winner Chicken Dinner! Give them the serial number , copy of the receipt with full itemization and , some basic pictures. If they tell you they dont insure drones make sure you ask them to research it as you know for a FACT that others on the MavicPilots forum have been insured by StateFarm for some time. I am one of them and if need be I can give you my agents name and personal contact information.

Sorry for your loss. I live in MI too. The other day I lost my wallet somewhere in a metro park. I drove back to the park and the staff logged my loss. When I came back I got an email and a nice couple found it. They even drove to my old apartment according to my driver license (my new address was on the back but they did not find that). Finally they found a business card with my working email on it. I think there are still a lot of good people, just not knowing how to give it back to you. I got my mavic two weeks ago and now I have put the FAA number and my email address on it just in case. Sorry for your loss again and hope you will find it soon.

Oh the pain! Check the police stations near by. A friend of mine left his fishing tackle box at a river bank and we went to the police station near by and holy cow it was there! If I see anything local I will let you know. Good Luck!

I feel your pain, but am still wondering why you put 'Stolen' in the thread title when you lost it by leaving it on the vehicle roof. If your contact info wasn't on it there would be no way for them to return it even if they were inclined too.

Did you register this with the FAA (as required)? Wondering if you can contact them and report the aircraft as stolen. Would they notify you if anyone else tried to register it? Just curious, but worth looking into. Sorry this happened to you! You have my sympathy; my hubby left a nearly new Nikon in a car rental when he went to return it. We never got that back!

I feel your pain, but am still wondering why you put 'Stolen' in the thread title when you lost it by leaving it on the vehicle roof. If your contact info wasn't on it there would be no way for them to return it even if they were inclined too.
The finder could contact the FAA to find out who owns it. If properly registered and the registration on the aircraft (in the battery compartment) it is very possible to find out who owns it.

The finder could contact the FAA to find out who owns it. If properly registered and the registration on the aircraft (in the battery compartment) it is very possible to find out who owns it.
Uh, this is what I meant by contact information, not sure if the FAA would help in that or not. But if you went to the trouble of registering and placing the sticker under the battery adding one line with 'If Found Call xxx-xxx-xxxx is pretty much a given. And how many non drone people are going to even know to contact the FAA, or take the time and trouble to do it, so much easier to fish out your cell phone and call a number.

Uh, this is what I meant by contact information, not sure if the FAA would help in that or not. But if you went to the trouble of registering and placing the sticker under the battery adding one line with 'If Found Call xxx-xxx-xxxx is pretty much a given. And how many non drone people are going to even know to contact the FAA, or take the time and trouble to do it, so much easier to fish out your cell phone and call a number.
If the finder was a non drone person when they found it - they just became a drone person by keeping it. Any person stupid enough to keep ill-gotten gains just might be stupid enough to try & make it legal. Anything is possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21